Mutant X

(ended 2004)

Gislef

Mutant X Fan Reviews (40)

• An X-Men ripoff. That's what it is.

Even if they said it was do to genetic engineering. They still are mutants like the x-men. And guess what, X-men was made first, so this show is the ripoff. What is wrong with people, that they feel the need to steal other people's ideas? Oh wait, I know now. It's so they can feel like a big person.
  • it's a very weird show

produced by the same man who co produced the x men movies, avi arad. this show is follows the same theme and premise of x-men, but it's not x-men, it's sort of x-men. this show is really weird. you just can't take this show seriously, it looks silly. they shouldn't have made this show, it just didn't feel like. they must have spent a fortune making this show and they tried so hard to make this show look cool. they fail in ver bog ways. this show is just not right, it's a very weird show. it's like a low budget x-men than a ligit tv show.
  • Sort of like an X-men thing, genetically experimented people with powers come together to form Mutant X with the goal of protecting all other new-mutants like themselves from government experiments & danger.

4.7
    I thought it started out ok, kinda cool but when you keep watching, it's the same thing over and over again. There's no bigger story, it's all camera effects, there's nothng to look forward to after every episode. Maybe at one point there was the Brennan-Shelimar thing but it just disappeared. In the episodes where they get into GENOMEX, i think thats really an unfair advantage as to how they know so much about the enemy but the enemy cant even pinpoint where they live. How is it that new mutants they move to the underground are just ok with it? Dont they have minds of their own? SUre it's dangerous but they cant live in safehouses forever.
    I think it's fun to watch when you're a kid if you're a kid but as you get older, it's a complete waste of time & then you realize the plot totally sucks.
  • What a waste of time!

5.4
    The premiere was just plain irritating to watch. You can't stop thinking of how bad it is that they succeeded in getting the show on the air even though it is so obviously ripping of an existing property. (Changing the X in their title to a more wavy X, doesn't make it any less of a rip-off.) The scene transitions were sudden and strange, as a glowing green line would sweep across the screen, carrying with it the new scene. The dialogue and plot were completely uninteresting. I've seen better-written episodes of X-Men: Evolution, and its target audience is about 9 years old. I can't really think of a single good thing to say about Mutant X. It was laughable.
    If you're interested in the whole genetic mutant outcast kind of story, I suggest that your time would be better served either renting the X-Men movie or picking up some of the multitudinous X-Men comics out there. Marvel knows how to do the stories and characters right, since, after all, they are the ones who created the idea in the first place.
  • Probably deserves less but it grows on you

Being honest, this show is appallingly made. The camerawork is so sloppy it gives me headaches, the actors were clearly chosen on their looks rather than their skill as actors and the scripting is a little painful.

That aside, I have watched two full seasons willingly. If you force yourself to watch the first three episodes, you do get sucked into it, the bad acting becomes less noticeable and you become a little desensitised towards the awful directing. In fact, after a while, the bad quality becomes a source of amusement, you can still enjoy the episode and juts laugh off the flaws.

Mutant X isn't without it's good points, the plot of each episode, whilst following a certain repetitive skeleton, can actually be quite interesting and dare I say it, cool. You learn to accept by episode five that whichever new mutant has been introduced will inevitably die by the end, but the twists and turns of the episode can still be pretty enjoyable.

Minus the bad camerawork, the show also looks gorgeous. Sure the effects aren't all that snazzy, it was made on a low budget a few years ago, but the design of sanctuary (more so in the first season) is beautiful. Actors also were all seemingly chosen for this reason too.

Finally, my favourite part of the Mutant X universe is the powers system. Even if you don't watch the show, go and research the filing of the powers and all the different ones. It's got a lovely sense of being extraordinary, but ordered. Making your own characters within this universe is made wonderfully slick and easy for their powers and just generally, the filing system is gorgeous.

If you're bored and just want something you can maybe get into, give mutant X a try and watch three or so episodes, you'll eventually find you get into it. If you dislike the static, woodenness of season one's episodes, skip to the last few of S1and then the first few of S2 for the Gabriel AshLocke story arc which in my opinion, is definitely the best.
  • What the hell just happened?

Series one was good... Series 2 and 3 just seemed to ... Well suck pure and simple. It was considered a rip off of X-Men yet how? X-Men and Mutant X were joined but also seperate... Yes there were many similarities but also enough differences. But I'm not going to defend it... I did like it but thank god it died before it embarrased itself too much.
  • This is NOT the X-Men...

A cheap version of X-Men in every sense of the word:

The plots were so ridiculous and childish that I'm still wondering to which age group this series was directed to. When I started to watch the first season, I was totally dismayed, and actually stopped watching the show once. I eventually wanted to push to the end, and it got better at some point... but not much.

The show had a very strong pattern when it came to ending the episodes; it just so happened that the bad guys/key suspects died most of the time. Of course, that is a good way to end the plot, no repercussions, no questions, no loose ends. A clean slate.

And it has to be mentioned; most of the beginning of season one ended with a ridiculous group shot of the team, often walking towards the camera, looking "cool". That had me rolling my eyes, every time. So not cool, but comical, rather.

Especially on the first season, the "animation" was so terrible it was like a joke. The fighting scenes and Matrix-like slow motion didn't working at all, and it was easy to tell the punches and kicks didn't meet their marks. That got better on seasons 2 and 3, but the animation was still pretty bad.

The characters didn't evolve much, and some of them went over the same problems over and over again in several episodes (like Shalimar, who often fell for the bad guy because they had some kind of "bond" - and usually said guy died in the end).

I don't think I ever liked any of the characters for real, and while there was slight improvement in them by the end, they were kind of simple and repeating the same moves over and over again.

All in all, I don't think I'm going to watch this show again. Going through it once was pretty painful, watching the stiff acting and weak plots. I think most of the viewers of the show could write better storylines, and that's kind of sad, because the idea behind Mutant-X wasn't bad at all.
  • Not very good.

OK, I never saw this from the beginning of it's run, I just saw the re runs on SPACE. I remember the first season it was gonna be on, I saw the ads. They looked pretty good and I actually wanted to see this. So the first episode comes along, and I was a little disappointed. I mean, it was OK, but nothing special. The problems I had with it mostly revolved around the characters. I thought that the characters were a bit wooden and were a bit stock. But I saw the potential for this thing to become a dark twisted bio punk show and thought that perhaps the characters would evolve as the episodes went on. There was one minor thing that annoyed me. When the electrical one blasted the telekinetic mutant that was chasing him and ema, he was not effective because the telekinetic guy was wearing rubber shoes or something like that. Now that on it's own is plausible, however, the electric jolt actually knocked the telekinetic guy backwards. Now this is obviously contradictory, but I let it slip in hopes that the series would evolve from this point.

Well let's just say, the show got a lot worse after this.

After the first episode, the whole series fell apart. I think the characters actually became more wooden, mutant x becoming like the preppy popular club of the mutant world. Every episode consisted of the same thing. Mason Eckhart had some new mutant brought forth to capture other new mutants (why are they called new mutants?) This new mutant would come up with some plan to capture other new mutants, be thwarted by mutant x, be put into a stasis pod for their failure, and then repeat next episode. This got really redundant really quick. And some of the mutants had the lamest powers. I remember one had super hearing. He wasn't lucky enough to at least get super senses, no, he got super hearing. And the ones with good powers never used them properly. which brings me to my next point.

The mutants powers were not used right. Take for example, Ema. now in the first season she was probably the least powerful of the group besides shalimar. However she was still useful. But when they were in a fight, instead of confusing the people mutant x was fighting, she joined in the hand to hand combat. What the hell, she has a pretty useful power and never uses it? In the second season when all the mutants got their powers upgraded, she was easily the most powerful of the group. The only one that could compete was that dude who could phase in and out of stuff, I forget his name. Even when she got the upgraded powers. she usually joined in the usually lame fighting scenes kicking and punching, yet she can kill people with her mind. The electrical one, Brennan, is another matter. One thing that annoyed me about him is how water was his weakness. Seriously, he can generate electricity through his body, yet can't get electrocuted by his own electricity? what the hell. And once again he almost never uses his powers when it's a good situation. He goes into the fights kicking an punching instead of electrocuting people. the one that phases in and out is one that should go into the fight kicking and punching because of what his powers are. However, he never phases out to dodge, except in exceptional circumstances, and never increases his mass to hit, except in exceptional circumstances. And then there's shalimar, who had her DNA spliced with a cats or some stupid thing like that. What the hell is her power, kung fu master? I know, i know, she's supposed to be super strong and super agile and stuff like that, but I guess the low budget of the show didn't allow it to be obvious, seeing as her fighting not only looked forced, but didn't even seem to be noticeably better than a normal human.

Anyway, I only saw part of season one, a little of season 2 and none of season three, just because the episodes were so bad I couldn't watch them anymore. The only reason I watched them in the first place was because there was nothing else on I wanted to watch during the time slot and I usually have the TV on in the background when I'm on the computer. Anyway, I was really way to nice to the program in this comment, but I thought I'd write something at least a little constructive. The only reason I didn't give the show a 1 is because the concept was good, the writers just dropped the ball on it.
  • Nothing like X-Men! Random and thoughtless! Rag-tag group of mutants who like to use terrible hand to hand combat abilities in place of their powers aimlessly following their Messiah complex creator...

Mutant X was one of the worst shows I tried to watch. This show did everything it could to make itself fail. The mutants for some reason almost all used some sort of crappy kenpo/tae kwan do fighting style instead of every utilizing their abilities which at first was amusing but made the way they used their gifts very limited and thoughtless. The plot seemed to never take any serious turn or twist. All the characters remained the same though they had clearly conflicting ideologies and backgrounds, never giving rise to any character development(no one took the path of an extremist or focused too strongly on their powers. There weren't any great twists or turn in the story. The super powerful mutants just seem to all pretend they are regular people and live their double life following their self righteous leader who never really seems to have the feel of someone who is righteous or wise, but more cowardly and thoughtless. Show invokes little thought and loves to show a lack of imagination, creativity, and anything of real interest in both the plot and character development.
  • A Insult to all X-Men fans!

4.4
    This series was nothing more then a insult to all the comic book lovers of X-Men out there. The effects were weak and the story lacked any intrest at all.

I can't understand how a shit show like this lasted so long when FAR better shows like Speacil Unit 2, Jack of All Trades, Dark Skies, or Timecop only lasted 1 season or less!
  • " MUTANT X " chronicles the adventures of MUTANT-X , a team of human mutants possessing extraordinary powers as a result of genetic engineering.

7.1
    Like hundreds of other unsuspecting subjects, these new mutants were altered in secret experiments conducted in a covert government project. Realizing that events have spun out of control, the organization that created them is now hunting them... Not a show that I would watch on a regular basis. I accidentally rented disc 2 of Season 1 didnt watch it from the beggining but I dont think it would of made a difference if I did watch from the start. It still was not the most exciting show i have seen.
  • good show at first

7.6
    i thought the first season of this show was awesome. it went downhill from there. the premise for the show was great. the stories were pretty cool, but the way they did the special effects were kind of lame. i think that the feral girl should have wolfed out in some form instead of just doing that stupid thing with her eyes.
  • mutant x is about a team who has special abilities and they used them to help other mutants from being hunted down by the people who made them.

adam(john shea)was part of this government group who decide to take this humans and do experiments on them.for reasons youll have to find out about by watching.

the mutant x project created lots of mutants with different powers but this mutants dont live that long.

the government thought the project had become uncontrolable so they order a recall.

they sent men after this mutatns to kill them and bring them back to the lab that they were made at.

adam felt bad about this recall thing and put together a group of powerful mutants to help others mutants out and this was a way for adam tofeel like he was repaying for all his sinsthat he didto this people.

so with adam as the leaderand his team membersshamilar(victoria pratt) with cat like powers,brennan(victor webster) who can project electricity,emma(lauren lee smith)who was an empath and could control others feelings and thoughts,and jess(forbers march)who can turn his body into a shiled or make it like a ghost where he can walk throught stuff.

the show has great writing,the powers are so unique and used very well,and the show does have alot of twists and turns.

the only4 problems i have are:

1.i hate when people compare this to x-men sure its simaliar but alot of scifi shows have the same kind of plot people need to keep over themselves x-men isnt the only show out there.this really isnt a problem.

i have 3 problems with the show

1stproblem is when they killed one of the members off and brong in a new person when they didnt have to bring in someone else new.

2nd. as a guy who a fan of this show alot of the people on this show are alittle bit too good looking which kind of makes it not so real but u get over that pretty quick.

3rd.it was suppose to go to a 4th season and then it never happened so the show is left on a cliffhanger:(

overall i like the powers that used,the writing is very good,every actor play their character well very,the stories are intersting and suspensefuland this show is very good.

so with3 things i hate and 4 things i like its 40/60 but the show does get extra more points for being very intersting and keep me coming back for more and more and more no matter how sometimes the stories get silly.

• the sexy version of x-men

BRING IT BACK!!!
    i started watching mutant x during it's third season and i was immedietly hooked. especially after having seen the season finale i couldn't wait for it to come back, but then of course it just had to go and get cancelled....which totally bummed me out. another show lost in syndication...
  • X-Men meets....???

I think the show had potential.... There were times where it was definitely unitentionally funny where it should have been serious or action packed! I had to laugh... Though I must say that a lot of it was awesome. Good story line ideas, but they could've done more with them. The cast had great chemistry, too. All in all it was great late-night, re-run & weekend viewing.
  • After the huge success of the X-Men cartoon series, Marel decided to make a TV series about mutants. So, this is what they came up with.

Ok, so I expected a lot of mutant battles and cool special effects from this show. What did I get? 4 mutants with rather cool powers, a lot of evil mutants and a compicated story-line. Am I pleased? NO. I liked the special effects, the battles between the mutants and even the plot...up to a point. This showi s bad because it is turned into a soap opera 1/3 of an episode being filled with corny remarks between the characters. There are a lot of hand to hand battles and mutant powers are unexplicably not used. The plot gets a bit too complicated and I really hated season 3, because Emma is replaced. All in all, I don't think it will have the success of X-Men. More muants, more action, less romance, less plot turns and it would have been extremly cool.
  • It's about a rogue lab experiment causing normal people to have mutant gene,which resulted with development of super abilities.From there on, the firm that performed the experiment starts to hunt down these people and our heroes form a group to stop them.

I think it is the most underappreciated show of all times. It may be problematic with character development due to the nature of the show but at least lovers of Gibson style cyberpunk should love this show. Also dont forget that everyone's favorite Smallville basicly follows a lamer storyline where the experiment is the meteor shower and the mutant gene is kryptonite.

I really think this show was the victim of poor management.
  • Mutant X would have been a better tv show if they had finished it. I mean to make season 4 too .

Mutant X`s first two seasons were pretty good (in my opinion) until at the end of seson two when Emma died. And Lexa replaced ger in season three. Who was the son of a b***h who had that stupid idea. I liked Lexa, but I think Emma was better in that role. If you get over that you found another problem: after season three there is no other season, after season three ends quite strange and which makes you put yourself a lot of questions like "Well I didn`t understand that...What`s going on next?".
    In conclusion I can say that Mutant X was just a unoriginal tv show without an end.
  • Even this goes beyond what I can stomach

I may be a fan of hot guys, but I can't stomach too much of this dreck. It ruins the X-men for all of us and also mocks the sci-fi genre. It could have been so good too. What a disapointment. If only they hadn't killed off Emma or what's her name. She was my favorite.
  • Mutant X is a different kind of show that's out of this world... literally.

Mutant X, a government agency's secret experiments gone wrong producing a whole new breed of humans, mutants. The government agency, known as Genetics Security Agency, is now hunting down these certain individuals and trying to kill them. Although, there is a group that fights back and they use their powers to take down the evil government agents.

This group of 4 mutants is led by Adam Kane. Adam ia a regular man who helped in creating the 'Mutant X' team. Although he has no supernatural powers like the rest, he specials in the fields of genetics, medicine, computers, and a skilled martial artist, not to mention he is the founder of this group.

The group of 4 includes Jesse Kilmartin (Forbes March), Brennan Mulwray (Victor Webster), Shalimar Fox (Victoria Pratt), and Emma deLauro (Lauren Lee Smith). Yet in the third season Emma is dead and Lexa Pierce (Karen Cliche) takes over her role as the new mutant that joins the group. Jesse is a Molecular, Brennan is an Elemental, Shalimar is a Feral, Emma is a Psychic, and Lexa is an Elemental.

They stay in a hidden cave where all their equipment is located. And now these 4 mutants, and scientist, are trying to control their own powers as well as protect the innocent mutants from the government agents.

Mutant X was a great show that i believe shouldn't have ended. I loved the show and wish it could have lasted a lot longer, but I have to admit that I'm lucky that they have aired as long as they did.
  • Season 1 and 2 were the best and 3 was ok. I hated that Emma died I think they should of just killed adam off instead!

This is a really great show. Im glad they still show it here! All the other old good shows were taken off the air for these dumb and idiotic new ones! Well overall this is one of my personal favorites and I think that they should of made atleast another season!
  • Unfinished Business!!!

At first, I was like.. mmmm John Shea... will he drop out again... and he did!!!.. but nevertheless.. the show was fun.. the actors were cool and the plots were interesting enough.

Now.. of course, is the tragedy that because of some money mismanagement, this show is on hiatus.. it's not resolved at all.. end of season 3 was a huge cliffhanger.. and since then.. it's been re-run city for the show.

So, anyways, Mutant X is another Slider show.. unresolved and we want an ending.....

Gosh.. it would certainly help their DVD sales for sure, I would suspect!

Bring Season 4!!!
  • I like very much... Mas não era meu programa favorito, fiquei triste quando cortaram o seriado sem um final plausível, coisa comum nos EUA. Mas vejo isso como uma falta de respeito com quem assiste, mesmo que seja apenas 1% da população, essa deve ser res

Axava a série interessante, e muito criativa, terminarem com ela foi uma pena, mas aparentemente ela não dava resultados. Axo incrível isso ter aontecido, já que muitos amigos meus acompanhavam diariamente.
    Muitas série piores continuam passando. Relamente uma pena. Mas provavelmente alguém do alto escalão não gostava da série e ela não deveria render, né?
  • A television offshott of the Marvel Comics brand. Lasted only 3 seasons but it was a great show.

This how is about Mutant X, a group of powerful mutants led by geneticist Adam Kane. You might think Mutant X...X-Men, same difference...but you would be wrong. Mutant X was definitely targeted at a younger more in style audience...but then again it is still based on the fantasy world of Marvel Comics...so the audience didn't extend very far beyond comic book lovers like myself. The show had plenty of action and a lot of drama as well. I prefer the first two seasons becaue I have a thing for Lauen Lee Smith who played Emma DeLoro, a young tele-empathic mutant. The actors in this show have gone on to star in other shows like CSI and Charmed, mostly in guest starring roles. It's worth checking out if you are a big Marvel Comics fan or if you'd like to get more into the Marvel Universe.
  • Actually after season 3 started, it got better and more interesting. I know many will say it sucked but I really didn\\\'t think so.

Each episode in season 3 got more interesting and more character development. Adam going away for a while was actually a good thing for the 3 consistent characters to grow a little more, become independent from their \\\"leader\\\". Lexa\\\'s entry was awkward at first but the chemistry with Jesse made up for it eventually.

Last episode left it hanging a little bit but knowing it was going to be cancelled, the writers did give some closure to who is behind the Dominion and who Adam really is. But no closure to what is going to happen to Lexa, Brennan and Shal, whether they will die when their clocks stop tickking or will they find the cure like Jesse.

I know there will not be a season 4 but still kind of wish that it will happen.
  • Four young people with superpowers, given to them by Adam Kane. Helping other people having powers.

I really like the first season, it's original, I like the storylines and the development of the main characters. Even the special effects are pretty good. But then, the second season.. well.. At the beginning of the season the storylines are still pretty good, but after a few episodes, Mutant X starts looking more and more like the 'power rangers', and I really HATE the power rangers. Even the special effect aren't what they were in the first season. And when Emma dies.. well.. that's the point where I stopped watching. I don't like this Lexa-girl. Emma could've developed so much further. But still, it's a good show. The first season will always be one of my favorite tv-show seasons!
  • I love Mutant X, it has been a favorite T.V. show of mine for years.

As I stated above, I love Mutant X and it has been a favorite television show of mine for years! My favoritism of this show is not negated by the fact that it has been off air for around four years! Mutant X is one of those things that is not only entertaining but also very touching as well. The actors and actresses who were on the show were extremely talented and the characters they played had a lot of depth and expressed the full spectrum of human emotion very well. I especially loved the character "Emma", who was played by the exceptionaly talented actress Lauren Lee Smith. I not only love this show but miss it and wish it were still on T.V. and I wish Emma were still part of the show. Oh and the SciFi was excellent as well!
  • WAOU !! now we can see the real Emma, I mean there're two Emma. the Emma who's always shy, afraid of her onw powers and another one. she rocks !!

what an episode !! we discover another side of miss delauro : she can be sexy, powerful and absolutely amazing !! that's my girl. I like the other Emma, she was so funny, like a little girl who doesn't want to be punished !! the mutantx team doesn't really know what to do as the real Emma is a bit of the good and the evil. this episode was really good because it shows that even a mutant like Emma has a dark side !
    the writters were very good ! I like the moment when she's in Genomex and the fight the ASG's agents !! waou !! she rocks ! well done Emma, you're the best
  • Mutant X is the greatest show ever!

First, I want to address the X-Men fans. Mutant X is not a rip off of the X-Men!! Mutant X and the X-Men were created by the same company (Marvel Comics)!! The X-Men are natural mutants (they were given their power through natural biological process). The mutants of Mutant X were given their power through genetic engineering!! Fox sued Marvel for "trademark infringement". Fox lost more than once!! Now I want to address my favorite television show (Mutant X). I love this show. This show is not only entertaining but also touching. The main characters are tragic heroes who are hated by the world because they are different. It is the people who made them different that hat them them most. Also people closest to them (family and friends hate them). Also, the only people that new mutants can rely on is each other. Even one of the heroes dies.

The plot of Mutant X is brilliant. It speaks of a distrust of big government and corporations which people feel in real life. It also speaks of science gone wrong. The story is awesome. Think about it. Mutant X is a group of four people who come together because of their gifts. And they use these gifts to help the world. These four people who were once strangers become almost like a family. These people are led, helped and sometimes protected by the man who made them the way they are. He didn't abandon them. The acting and writing are very good. The acting has a dynamic and unique style. That isn't often seen elsewhere. The dialogue is very good and has few if any "cliches". The fight scenes are awesome. The actors who were in Mutant X studied pugilistic arts in real life. When Emma and Shalimar were fighting it almost looked elegant.

The music on Mutant X was great. Each scene seemed to have the music in it tailored for it. The soundtrack even has Vivaldi.

The set and costume design were beautiful. The sanctuary set really looked like a warm and inviting sanctuary. The costume design by Laurie Drew was handsome on the guys and hot on the gals.

The people who made this show put a lot of love, time thought and effort into it.
  • This show was greatness.

I haven't really heard anything as of late about this show. But I guess I know now that it's canceled...I absolutely loved this show. I think it went downhill after Emma Delaro(Lauren Lee Smith) left the show and Adam Kane (John Shea) for a little while. They got a new girl to take Emma's place...was it Lexa? I think that was her name played by Karen Cliche. I hardly watched it after that. My personal favorite was Shalimar played by Victoria Pratt. She was a feral and I guess you had to watch the show on a regular basis to get it and like it.
< 1 2