Mutant X

(ended 2004)

Mutant X Fan Reviews (42)

• Probably deserves less but it grows on you

Being honest, this show is appallingly made. The camerawork is so sloppy it gives me headaches, the actors were clearly chosen on their looks rather than their skill as actors and the scripting is a little painful.

That aside, I have watched two full seasons willingly. If you force yourself to watch the first three episodes, you do get sucked into it, the bad acting becomes less noticeable and you become a little desensitised towards the awful directing. In fact, after a while, the bad quality becomes a source of amusement, you can still enjoy the episode and juts laugh off the flaws.

Mutant X isn't without it's good points, the plot of each episode, whilst following a certain repetitive skeleton, can actually be quite interesting and dare I say it, cool. You learn to accept by episode five that whichever new mutant has been introduced will inevitably die by the end, but the twists and turns of the episode can still be pretty enjoyable.

Minus the bad camerawork, the show also looks gorgeous. Sure the effects aren't all that snazzy, it was made on a low budget a few years ago, but the design of sanctuary (more so in the first season) is beautiful. Actors also were all seemingly chosen for this reason too.

Finally, my favourite part of the Mutant X universe is the powers system. Even if you don't watch the show, go and research the filing of the powers and all the different ones. It's got a lovely sense of being extraordinary, but ordered. Making your own characters within this universe is made wonderfully slick and easy for their powers and just generally, the filing system is gorgeous.

If you're bored and just want something you can maybe get into, give mutant X a try and watch three or so episodes, you'll eventually find you get into it. If you dislike the static, woodenness of season one's episodes, skip to the last few of S1and then the first few of S2 for the Gabriel AshLocke story arc which in my opinion, is definitely the best.