M.V.P. Forums

CBC (ended 2008)

cancellation

mandy_angeluk

[1]Mar 12, 2008
    • level: 5

with news of the show being cancelled, do you think they were a little too hasty?

personally i feel 10 episodes for a show are not enough to test true response, fanbase and ratings. People usually cotton on to a show a bit later. Plus storylines involving that many characters take while to get into.

footballers wives took a while to get off the ground. I think cbc were a little too hasty to give up on the show. With a little tweaking of the writing, i had high hopes for this 'original' cbc show.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

maritimer00

[2]Mar 12, 2008
    • level: 71
    Well, there are a lot of rumors as to the true reason behind the trio of shows axed by the CBC ( the Toronto Maple Leafs one put out by the show producer seems a bit thin...)

The show ended pretty good too..I won't post spoilers but I think they're finally getting the handle on some characters though a bit late in retrospect.

Oh, and Damon was the star of the show..hands down, the most interesting one by far...

-paperlanterns

[3]Mar 14, 2008
    • level: 9
    It's really too bad that they cancelled it; I also had high hopes for the show. But alas, tis television. I agree that the show got better in terms of the writing as it progressed, particularly the character of Damon, but like I said, that's the CBC for you.

TreeHillDude430

[4]Jun 21, 2008
    • level: 7
    cancelled already????? whats up with that?? I had high hopes for this show! It's really good. I just watched the pilot on SoapNet. Would SoapNet be able to renew it?? I want more than ten episodes!

mscraftee

[5]Jun 24, 2008
    • level: 22
    Well, that totally stinks...I really liked the first episode and was looking forward to much more. This is really disappointing, as this show had so much potential.

pocahotass131

[6]Jun 30, 2008
    • level: 10
    TreeHillDude430 wrote:
    cancelled already????? whats up with that?? I had high hopes for this show! It's really good. I just watched the pilot on SoapNet. Would SoapNet be able to renew it?? I want more than ten episodes!

I just saw it on SOAP NET last week and I love it. If I read the previous posts correctly, MVP was cancelled on CBC, not SoapNet and that was 3 months ago. So I guess it should there (whereever CBC is) first and got canned? Should we only look forward to 10 episodes?

radrobd

[7]Jul 10, 2008
    • level: 54
    pocahotass131 wrote:
    TreeHillDude430 wrote:

I just saw it on SOAP NET last week and I love it. If I read the previous posts correctly, MVP was cancelled on CBC, not SoapNet and that was 3 months ago. So I guess it should there (whereever CBC is) first and got canned? Should we only look forward to 10 episodes?

Yes, basically SOAPnet bought the right to all 10 eps from the series that aired on CBC. The series already ended and was cancelled months BEFORE it aired on SOAPnet. SOAPnet has run other cancelled series before (90210, Melrose Place, The O.C., One Tree Hill, Dallas, etc.)

However, I'm wondering if SOAPnet might pick it up for a second season. All the actors and cast have been doing a lot of promo work for the SOAPnet airings, so if ratings are good, SOAPnet could greenlight a second season.

maritimer00

[8]Jul 11, 2008
    CBC owns the rights to a second season so if SOAPnet wants a second season, they'll have to go thru the network execs there to do it...

radrobd

[9]Jul 13, 2008
    maritimer00 wrote:
    CBC owns the rights to a second season so if SOAPnet wants a second season, they'll have to go thru the network execs there to do it...

I see. They might work something out. Anyway, SOAPnet is promoting the series as a SOAPnet original.

stnkedoo

[10]Jul 14, 2008
    radrobd wrote:
    pocahotass131 wrote:
    TreeHillDude430 wrote:

Yes, basically SOAPnet bought the right to all 10 eps from the series that aired on CBC. The series already ended and was cancelled months BEFORE it aired on SOAPnet. SOAPnet has run other cancelled series before (90210, Melrose Place, The O.C., One Tree Hill, Dallas, etc.)

However, I'm wondering if SOAPnet might pick it up for a second season. All the actors and cast have been doing a lot of promo work for the SOAPnet airings, so if ratings are good, SOAPnet could greenlight a second season.

One Tree Hill has never been cancelled.

radrobd

[11]Jul 15, 2008
    stnkedoo wrote:
    radrobd wrote:
    pocahotass131 wrote:
    TreeHillDude430 wrote:

One Tree Hill has never been cancelled.

You're right. I didn't mean OTH.

eddie2000

[12]Jul 16, 2008
    • level: 3
    Well, that's sad that it's cancelled. I like watching this show on SoapNet.

maritimer00

[13]Jul 16, 2008
    Just to add something else, the first season is available on DVD through the CBC (and, I imagine, in the US through somebody..).

radrobd

[14]Jul 16, 2008

maritimer00 wrote:
    Just to add something else, the first season is available on DVD through the CBC (and, I imagine, in the US through somebody..).

It's not available in the U.S. on DVD... yet. BUT, the first few eps are available for free online viewing on Netflix.

Edited on 07/16/2008 9:41pm

jenicecream

[15]Aug 15, 2008
    I really hope that SoapNet finds a way to produce more, although I doubt it. It's a shame. One more episode is not going to be enough. I like this show a lot. It has helped fill the space in my heart once held by Footballers Wives.

ACFAIRCLOTH

[16]Aug 27, 2008
    • level: 6

I hope SoapNet has a 2nd season! I love M.V.P!!! It can't end with all the cliffhangers it had in the season 1 finale.. It just can't!! Hopeing for a season 2 soon!!!!!