My Family Forums

BBC (ended 2011)

When will BBC America show Season 6?

macheath48

[1]Jul 26, 2006
    • level: 6
    Waiting and waiting.  When will BBC America show Season 6?  Also, will that be it or will they film more episodes of MY FAMILY?
    Edited on 08/10/2006 2:14pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

layle1

[2]Jul 27, 2006
    • level: 72
    Not sure.  This year, series 5 (from 2004) showed in early 2006 -- sorry can't confirm dates.  Hopefully, we'll only have to wait 'til 2007 at the latest. It'd be awful to have to go two years again. If you look at previous forums, I think they've been contracted for at least series 7. Hope this helps.

DooDles3000

[3]Aug 8, 2006
    • level: 5

I hope BBC America hasn't taken 'My Family' off the air PERMANANTLY.  They haven't shown it for a while now. And, if you go to their website www.bbcamerica.com, it's no longer on their 'Shows A-Z' list.

Edited on 08/08/2006 4:06pm

layle1

[4]Aug 9, 2006

Actually, BBCA has been rerunning the whole series (including 5) in the afternoons. On the West coast we see it in a two hour block from one to three pm (that would be 10 am to 12 pm on the East coast, presumably). It starts with one episode of My Hero and ends with a two-fer of My Family. Hope you can find it in your area (although now I've posted this, they'll probably quit!)

As for the web sites, neither bbc.uk nor bbcamerica do well by their comedies, there's all sorts of info on the dramas, but the comedy shows are like the ugly stepchild.  bbc.uk at least has the current series' summaries available.  As for bbca, I'm going to hold a good thought:  just a few days ago My Family was on the site, so hopefully it's been pulled for an update -- it stopped at series three, after all. .

Edited on 08/09/2006 8:24am

DooDles3000

[5]Aug 9, 2006
    Not anymore. Now they show an episode of 'The Avengers' and 'Footballer's Wives' instead of 'My Hero' and 'My Family'. I don't know if that's from coast-to-coast or just on the West coast, but that's what they did.
    Edited on 08/11/2006 9:58pm

layle1

[6]Aug 10, 2006
    My bad, and I mean that sincerely not sarcastically. I've had a backlog of them to watch, and have been procrastinating. Apparently my satellite company hasn't caught up to the programming yet, 'cause they're showing as My Hero/My Family still. Sorry for the bad info. Good news for me is that it frees up an enormous amount of space in my dvr. C'mon season 6!
    Edited on 08/10/2006 7:59am

DooDles3000

[7]Aug 12, 2006
    What I don't understand is why BBC America stopped showing it. Do you think they might bring it back later and just took it off the air because of this summers' programming?

layle1

[8]Aug 13, 2006

I doubt it's permanent (knock wood). The end of this cycle was the third or fourth time through since they started the My Hero/My Family programming block earlier this year. Even during this time, stray episodes would turn up in the early weekend hours.

It's a weird block they've replaced it with though, you wouldn't think The Avengers and Footballers' Wives would have a lot of crossover viewers. Your theory is probably correct, they've been pulling so much from Sky Net and ITV, I'm not sure where they'll put everything. After all, cable usually stops their new programs August/September so the Networks can launch their Fall season.

SO, that was a very long answer to your question, sorry, and these are my opinions, not actual verifiable data , but NY-LON is still in BBCA's guide and that was only a 7 episode series; I can't believe they'll just eradicate two shows with multiple seasons.

Edited: Spacing.

Edited on 08/13/2006 4:39am

layle1

[9]Aug 29, 2006
    UPDATE on BBC America Site: The shows still can't be found in the A-Z index, but -- and they were probably there all along -- if you click on the Comedies tab, you can still get to both pages from links on that page. Weird, huh?

CrochetOwl

[10]Aug 29, 2006
    • level: 13
    With BBCA, who knows. They have a tendency to drop shows midway (as with NY-LON) or stretch out airing a new series (as with Black Books). I'm still waiting for them to show the Christmas episodes from Series 5. Oh well, will wait for the UK DVDs to see them since the entire series will now be available.

layle1

[11]Aug 31, 2006

Stupid question, but it's not come up (for me) before, how do you go about buying UK region DVDs in the US?

At least with NY-LON they came back and finshed the show, I think it was tanking during sweeps.  I mean, it was a couple months, but I did achieve closure. Black books seems to sort of jump around.

Edit: added 2nd paragraph.

Edited on 08/31/2006 1:54am
    Edited 2 total times.

GuidesAndThat

[12]Sep 5, 2006
    • level: 50
    layle1 wrote:

Stupid question, but it's not come up (for me) before, how do you go about buying UK region DVDs in the US?

I recommend the UK version of HMV. A little white dog will deliver them within 2-3 days... or FedEx possibly. I recommend them because they're usually a lot cheaper than everyone else.

Edited on 09/05/2006 1:15am
    Edited 2 total times.

layle1

[13]Sep 6, 2006
    Thanks, excellent site!  The savings are sometimes significant compared to amazon.uk.  We have deep discount dvd across "the pond". I'm going to attempt an order in the next couple days -- the BBCA credits rewrite has been nagging at me, I want to know what I'm missing!

tchansen

[14]Nov 5, 2006
    • level: 2
    I just posted this as a news link (didn't think about the forums first) but the BBC America site shows season five, the Christmas special and a couple of season six episodes showing during the week of November 20-26.  The schedule won't go to the next week yet so I don't know if it is a permanent return to the line up.

_Islander_

[15]Nov 9, 2006
    • level: 31
    GuidesAndThat wrote:
    layle1 wrote:

I recommend the UK version of HMV. A little white dog will deliver them within 2-3 days... or FedEx possibly. I recommend them because they're usually a lot cheaper than everyone else.

The UK version? I like that, considering it's a UK brand name! Consider ours the original version .

Aside from that, be careful - bear in mind that our DVD's are mostly (in the case off the BBC all) Region-2 encoded, so you'll only be able to play it if you have a multi-region player. Also, our discs are PAL formatted, so ensure your TV can play PAL programmes (your PC undoubtably will).
    Edited on 11/09/2006 10:41am

layle1

[16]Nov 9, 2006
    Thanks for the tips! The "original version" has been wonderful to work with, and while I don't get the little white dog delivery (I think the swim would be too much for him), service has been speedy and efficient.
    Edited on 11/10/2006 4:52am
    Edited 2 total times.

GuidesAndThat

[17]Nov 10, 2006
    • level: 50
    _Islander_ wrote:

The UK version? I like that, considering it's a UK brand name! Consider ours the original version .

I'm fully aware HMV originated in the UK, however saying 'The original version of HMV' would have been a lot less helpful than actually specifying the country the DVD was available in.

tchansen

[18]Nov 28, 2006
    • level: 2
    Starting this Friday, December 1st,  BBC America will start showing 'My Family' at 7:00 PM MST.  This first episode is 'Bliss For Idiots' which is episode 68, the first episode of season six.

This follows the Christmas special that aired last Friday, 'Glad Tidings We Bring'.