My Family

BBC (ended 2011)

layle1

My Family Fan Reviews (33)

• 99% laughter free...

Lame and predictable 'comedy' of the sort that seems to be endlessly churned out in a painting by numbers exercise by the mainstream british television channels.
  • I give this show a TOP 10. the episodes? I do not get BBC on my cable.Send replys to clarktadych@comcast.net I give it a perfect 10+

I bought the first 4 episodes and want to buy the rest now.When watching I forget my troubles and am totally engrossed in their family.Anyone know when or where or how I can purchase the other seasons?
    clarktadych@comcast.net
    I love to see the interaction of the family members and the different personalities presented.
    I don't get the BBC on my cable, it is a higher price for it. Worth the money but don't like what else comes along with it.
    When was it last taped?
    I rate this with Are You Being Served and the show taking place in a rural English hospital. I can't remember the name now.
  • FANTASTIC.

An intelligent, literate, situation comedy; the type that has been sorely missing from television since the advent of "survival" shows.

Zoe Wanamaker is everything a leading character should be: funny, bitingly dry but with enough humility so that she never become cardboard. Ms. W is brilliantly matched by the rest of the superb cast.

The stories can be a bit wild but the cast keeps everything in prospective so that you find yourself laughing even if it is in spite of yourself.

Now the question that has been bothering me for a long time: When will BBC-America (or PBS or any channel) show the remaining two seasons here in America?
  • The best British sit-com. By far.

My Family follows the day-to-day foibles of the Harpers, a British family of five. There's Ben, the dentist who seems to loathe his life and family. Susan, his tour-guide wife who prides herself on her open mind and is an awful cook but doesn't let it hinder her culinary style. Janey is the fashion magazine-reading, self-admittedly shallow teenage daughter. In season 4, Janey goes to college and is replaced by the vacuous Abi, Ben's cousin's daughter, for just as much fun. Michael is the youngest son, who seems to be the brightest of the bunch. All of them are funny but the character who really shines, is the oldest son, Nick. Every scene with Nick is comic genius; from his quest to make money through various schemes and an assortment of jobs to his seeming inability to be troubled by anything.

The writing is good, with a variety of entertaining stories. I'm watching re-runs so there are many I have yet to see but I've found every episode that I have seen amusing. The actors are well-suited to their roles and all do a fantastic job. There are a few running gags as well, including Nick's quest for the perfect job, as mentioned.

I highly recommend checking it out if you can. The show is episodic enough that one can start watching at any point.
  • My Family

I think My Family is one of the best TV shows in the history of comedy.The characters, the storylines and the actors and actresses are just so amazingly funny, I can't stop laughing at them. Michael Harper (Gabriel Thomson) is my personal favourite as a character as watching My Family a long long time I have seen him grow from a child to young adult in the most hilarious way possible. I have got to give a thumbs up to the writers and the producers for making such a brilliant show and it should never stop being made. Always a personal favourite in my book.
  • This is a show which everyone should watch

This TV shows, started back in 2000 and ever since I first watched it, it has become one of my favourite shows which the BBC have ever made. "My Family" follows the day-to-day foibles of the Harpers, a British family of five. There's Ben (Robert Lindsay), the dentist who seems to loathe his life and family. Susan (Zoë Wanamaker), his tour-guide wife who prides herself on her open mind and is an awful cook but doesn't let it hinder her culinary style. Janey (Daniela Denby-Ashe) is the fashion magazine-reading, self-admittedly shallow teenage daughter. (In season 4, Janey goes to college and is replaced by the vacuous Abi (Siobhan Hayes), Ben's cousin's daughter, for just as much fun). Michael (Gabriel Thomson) is the youngest son, who seems to be the brightest of the bunch. All of them are funny but the character who really shines, is the oldest son, Nick (Kris Marshall). Every scene with Nick is comic genius; from his quest to make money through various schemes and an assortment of jobs to his seeming inability to be troubled by anything.

• Meet The Harper Family, Ben,Susan,Janey,Michael,Abi & Roger.

The Harpers Are Not Your Everyday Kind Of Family, They Are All Quite Mad But Funny Too!
    Ben: He's A Dentist, But Wants To Be A Doctor, When He Can't Deal With Something, He'll Call On His Wife Susan To Help Out. Ben Dreams Of A Day When All The Children Will Leave Home.
    Susan: Wife Of Ben, She's A Museum Tour Guide, Second Passion Being Cooking.
    She Always Gets Her Own Way!
    Janey: Oldest Child And Your Average Teenager Who Has A Child Courtesy Of A One Night Stand At Uni, She's Spoilt And A Lot Like Susan.
    Michael: Smartest One Out Of All Of Them (Apparently) And Thinks He Is Being Psychologically Scarred By The Family's Mad Behaviour.
    Abi: Ben's Cousin's Child, She's A Blonde And Is A Bit Thick, She And Roger Get On Well.
    Roger: Works In The Room Above Ben's At The Dentist, He Is Annoying And Ben's Rival.
    Overall, Great Show!
  • Great show of what appears to be a somewhat normal family, however; one realizes just how much they are not! Funny, almost seemly real in some ways to a real family, believe or not! Ben & Sue the Parents of 3, Janey, Nick and Michael. Of course Abi too

We live in the USA. My fiance and I, enjoy watching this funny, family comedy of parody. Just makes one wonder, how much of what they do, can be in a real family!!! so amazing, wonder if Nick is from the Harper gene family, Hmmm one has to wonder, at least BEn does... (Although, Nick has many smart moves to gain advantages on getting what he wants, this does take some brain power, some of which Nick seemly has now and then!) and of courses Janey, the only daughter who seems to have it all, moved out, a job, but also still mooches from Mum and Dad, and then there is Michael... the smart as a whip brainiac of the bunch. Ben and Sue, the wonderful parents of these children, each have thier own view on when the nest will be empty... on one hand Ben has Ideas, that it will never happen, as of course Sue keeps inviting the children back and dosen't want an empty nest.... Hmmmm.... quite the dilema for what I would call a dysfunctional family.... which in can be considered normal in the Harper Family!! This show keeps us laughing, as we wacth it here in America on BBC, 6pm M-F. Love the humor, and family comedy parady... keep it going.... we love it. :)
  • A family that is very disoganized and have weird events

Basicly there is a family called the Harper family it consists of 3 kids Nick, Janie and "Mikey" Harper. But in the more resent episodes Nick leaves!! and a new person comes their relitive Abby and she lives with them so she took over from Nick.

The dad (Ben) is a dentist and he has a rival in dentistry Rogger!!! The strange thing is Rogger likes Ben but Ben dosen't like Rogger at all. Also Rogger is a good dentist and Ben is not The mom (susan) is a tour guide but like Ben not good at all (shes also a bad cook)
  • a great show that you wouldn't expect to see on PBS its great for the whole family and addresses universality while still maintaining a hilarious base.

I love this show, its at a perfect time and my entire family watches it and its one of my favorite, i love that Zoë Wanamaker( she is what first turned me onto the show because of her role as madam hooch in harry potter and the sorcerer's stone)is on this show and i think that all of the people really come together and make this a great show. I was really surprised to see a lot of the things that go on in this show because its PBS but that makes it even better. My favorite character is Michael because he is my same age and is going though a lot of the same things i am while still having to come home to an insane family(another similarity). i really enjoy the humor of this show.
  • My family is about the Harper family, Ben a dentist by day, who all he wants to do is relax and have some peace and quiet, his loving hip wife Susan, and his three kids who are always getting into some kind of trouble; Nick, Michael, and Janey

My Family is on its way to becoming one of my favorite shows. I just got BBC America a few weeks ago and from the first episode i saw this week with Janey throwing the party while her parents were gone, i was hooked. It's really different compared to most of the sitcoms that I've seen since i was a kid, that are funny, but theres a preachy lesson or sad part, My Family has none of that, at least what I've seen, just genuinely funny, and quirky... something that we in America don't see anymore. My favorite character is Nick, his one liners slay me, and hes cute to boot! very much a win win situation. Ben to me is more like an average father, when he comes home just wants to relax, and as long as his kids aren't missing limbs or in need of bail money its a good day, than George Lopez or Bill Engvall. All and all its interesting, and funny story lines, that i have a feeling that i will be watching a lot more of!
  • Love it.

This show rocks. I'll keep it short..and sweet.
    I love this show because it follows a dysfunctional family and I for one know that I can relate to it as my family is quite dysfunctional, as are many families!
    It either keeps getting better or it stays brilliant, I never find it gets worse.
    I find this show a definite watch when I feel depressed and it will always make me smile or laugh.
    The sarcasm in it is also so funny, so much sarcasm, mainly from the father, and the way they all argue and are so strange is hilarious.

Watch it, its great!!!
  • Nice!

6.8
    "My Family" follows the day-to-day foibles of the Harpers, a British family of five. There's Ben (Robert Lindsay), the dentist who seems to loathe his life and family. Susan (Zoë Wanamaker), his tour-guide wife who prides herself on her open mind and is an awful cook but doesn't let it hinder her culinary style. Janey (Daniela Denby-Ashe) is the fashion magazine-reading, self-admittedly shallow teenaged daughter. (In season 4, Janey goes to college and is replaced by the vacuous Abi (Siobhan Hayes), Ben's cousin's daughter, for just as much fun). Michael (Gabriel Thomson) is the youngest son, who seems to be the brightest of the bunch. All of them are funny but the character who really shines, is the oldest son, Nick (Kris Marshall). Every scene with Nick is comic genius; from his quest to make money through various schemes and an assortment of jobs to his seeming inability to be troubled by anything.

The writing is good, with a variety of entertaining stories. I'm watching re-runs so there are many I have yet to see but I've found every episode that I have seen amusing. The actors are well-suited to their roles and all do a fantastic job. There are a few running gags as well, including Nick's quest for the perfect job, as mentioned, and some Harry Potter references that have popped up since Zoë Wanamaker appeared in the first Potter film. Since I've mentioned it, I might add that under other circumstances, Gabriel Thomson could easily have played Harry himself.

I'd highly recommend checking it out if you can. The show's episodic enough that one can start watching at any point.
  • It gives you a laugh.

It isn't exactly great, but it's a good show for a luagh. I don't much like the newer seasons, I prefer the first season with Nick. I always used to watch this show when I was younger, it was the funniest show ever back then, well for a while it was.

I don't mind the newer seasons, the dentist is funny and the girl who moved in with the family is funny also, a bit like that women from Friends. Overall this is an entertaining show, and I loved it when I was little. It gives you a good laugh for a night in.
  • A good old laugh

My Faimily isn't as good as it used to ge.It's only quite funny nowadays.It used to be hilarious.How much screwed up stuff could go down in a realistic way,to a regular family[if you can call it that]
    It's hard to like Micheal lately and where the hell has Nic gone?But you like the weird lodger called Alfie.He's an ammusing and new character.
    But the best character is Ben,he is always screwing things up for the whole family.You feel he doesn't know how luckey he is to have Susan as a wife.
    My Family is an easily lovable British sitcom.Youwill laugh at least once at every episode.
  • This show really takes the phrase 'dysfunctional family' to new heights. It's an amazing mix of characters/stories weaved together seamlessly in a rollicking good time. Just love it!

If you want to see a dysfunctional family that still manage to make life together bearable and are able to do so with lots of love, laughter and quirky situations, this is the show for you. Every character adds new dimensions to the comedy and beneath every laugh out loud funny scenario, there's a real lesson to be learned. It's such an easy story to lose yoursef in. It's the perfect end to a crazy day and don't be surprised if you see yourself in one or more characters. My Family constantly reminds me why I love English comedy so much! It's spectacular!
  • A positive note to any good and bad day!

If you are looking for a show that will cheer you up, look no further! My family is bright, light, simple, relaxing and hilarious. You will get closer to the recommended number of daily true laughters by watching it.

Although all the characters have been very well chosen for the show, two members of the Harper family will really give a a good giggle: .
    - Ben, he is a wonder of cynicism, patience and diplomatie toward his wife and his profession ;
    - Nick, a genius in creative job hunting/laziness, to the dispair of both his parents. His lines are always unexpected and so clever!

The way the plots develop is sometimes quite transparent, but the real treasure lies in the characters' reactions to the chain of events, as well as in the little actions they do that are just not related to the plot. Brilliant!

All in all, this is a extremely well written show that pricks just where it makes you laugh, explores the most embarassing situations without ever irritating you, au contraire.
  • This show revolves around the Harper family. Ben and Susan Harper have 3 children. Ben is a dentist (a failed doctor lol). Susan is a tourist guide and the family chef, shes famous for her meals but for all the wrong reasons. They have 3 children, Nick, J

The show is very funny. The relationship between the eldest son Nick and his dad is really good and makes me laugh out loud a lot. There is also a funny relationship between Ben and Susan. Nick is a big kid and can't hold down a job for more than just a few hours although its so funny seeing him try. Jayney is the middle child. She is fashion concious and has a little boy Kenzo. Her favourite pastime is trying to get some money out of her dad. Michael is the baby of the family and is very smart. Cousin Abi also appears in the show. She is dopey and there is a funny relationship between her and Rodger. He works at the same densists as Ben, and has a caring hear and eyes only for Abi.
  • i love this show!!!!!

personally i love this show. it ia halarious. my favorite character is nice. he is so funny. his stupidedy reminds me of some things i would do.( as sad as the sounds). this is one of my personall favorites. i watch it any time that its on. im not sure if it is on dvd but if it is im deffinitly going to buy it because its so fuuny. the characters susan and ben work so well together. it is the perfact mix of comedy. the charecters work perfactly. my least favorite charecter is abby. it felt like she was trying to replace the charecter of nick. but great show.
  • Hilarious

Hmmm, the Harper family. I personally think that Ben and Susan are the funniest couple I have seen on telly in ages. The children are just as funny but the parents come top of the poll. Ben a dentist, who desperatly tries to understand his children and fails miserably everytime. It is really funny to watch which is why they call it comedy I suppose (duh).
    Every member of the family is unique in their own little way, and as much as they argue and snipe at each other, deep down (somewhere) they are a close knit family who would do anything for each other.
    Michael is the brainier one of all the kids and it has me in stitches when he out smarts Ben, which is all the time really.
    The comments that Ben and Susan throw at each other are brilliant and no matter how many times you watch it, you will always find it funny.
  • One of the best comedies ever!

I discovered My Family just a short time ago yet it quickly became a 'must see' show! The interaction of all the characters makes this the closest to a live action version of "The Simpsons" that has ever been made. Susan and Ben are completely believable as the old married couple who, despite the snarky comments to each other, truly would do anything for each other and their children, Nick, Janie and Michael are the perfect example of how not all children turn out the same even though they have the same parents! The actors are brilliant and the humor never gets old no matter how many times you watch the same episode!
  • This sitcom gets better with age.

The Harper household, probably like everyones family life. We can all relate to some of the storylines. I love all of the charcters, in their own way. I love the way each charcter is stongly sarcastic. I like Bens sadistic attitude, and i love Susans deviousness. I dont think it is as good without Nick in it, however the programme has survived this long, so i look forward to the new series
  • this was a christmas show gone just plain weird!

omg i thought i was going to keel over with laughter when i stumbled across this show last night... i just happened to leave the tv on after watching 15/love and when i came back in the room, i couldnt take my eyes off the screen...it is one of the funniest shows i have seen in a long time...i watched the \"ding dong merrily\" episode and my favourite part was all the trees in the living room when nick desided to start up his business of selling cut cristmas trees for next years christmas...and then at the end when the family came back from the pub to discover that they had been robbed and the mom says \"the furniture!\", the dad says\"the tele!\", and nick no being the brightest bulb in the package says \"they\'ve taken mr. bradley!\" it was the funniest thing ever! its a great show and i plan on watching it again!
  • This is the best BBC comedy shown for awhile and I am left stranded in hilarity with it...

Although I only got into My Family about a month ago, I've made it my quest to see most of the episodes; which I have completed. I have found this to be one of the funniest shows on BBC, or even all of television. The comedy is witty, original, and pure. The timing of jokes and chemistry between the characters is superb; in that it has been awhile since I have seen these kinds of comedy stylings. By far, the best actors are Robert Lindsay and Zoë Wanamaker since they are the foundation for comedy. Their bickering nature leads to conflicts with much comedy and yield many short but hysterical zingers. However, I find that Robert Lindsay is the centre of the show with his "straight man" role as the patriarch of a crazy family he can't control. The children are also great actors and his meddling "apprentice" dentist (if you'd like to call it) and the daughter of a man who is constantly marrying and divorcing. The show will automatically hook you in but do not be afraid of it for being British. You may not get one or two jokes a Brit might get, but you'll sure to get all the family jokes which is the most prevalent.
  • This show is great, give it a chance!

I love this show, it is hilarious, I wish it was on more often. Nick is the funniest character in it, I feel bad for Ben having to put with him and Janey, Michael isn't so bad though. He's the best kid out of all of them. Susan is awsome especially when she laughs really hard at Ben, the look on his face when he's laughed at by her is hilarious.
  • A disfunctional family that always attract the viewers.

My Family is a relatively new situation comedy that was desperately needed by the BBC. Towards the end of the 1990's, situation comedies were on the thin side, Only Fools and Horses had gone and 2 Point 4 Children had made an abbrubt finish when the leading actor died.
    But My Family have gone on from 2 Point 4 Children and made the family even more disfunctional.
    And what makes the show so popular is that families are all too disfunctional today and can easily relate to what's going on around them.
    The mother (Susan) with her awful 'cooking, Father (Ben) who hates his kids and wife, but likes the sex, they both hate the mother-in-law, so do their kids, oldest son Nick's an idiot, as is constantly reminded, only daughter gets pregnant and refuses to say who the father is and loves shopping (usng father's credit cards) and of course the brains of the family, michael.
    As characters have left, Nick and the daughter, new characters, equally as dim have been brought in, including Ben's Dentist chum and a distant relative of whom i've frogotten how she arrived.
    But the show has continued to be a great success and will remain so as long as the family don't grow up and leave the nest, which, of course will eventually happen, but all comedies must come to an end, hopefully no time soon.
  • My Family is a wonderful and funny comedy show

My Family is a brilliant program about a family called the Harpers. The comedy is in all the right places and the characters are hilarious. The show can make most people laugh. Characters are brlliant, especially Ben, Susan and Nick who are briliantly played. Overall the is a brilliant, funny comedy program that I would recommend to anyone
  • The best post-2000 British sitcom, surely

In an era when reality TV domaintes, most of us are thankful when we switch on to BBC1 on a Saturday night to find a classic Only Fools and Horses episode. But sometimes, an OFAH classic won't do - new comedy is wanted - and that's where My Family comes in. It's the perfect sitcom for the family; the characters are all hilarious (particaulrly in the first two series, before Abi) with their own unique traits - who doesn't love Nick's laziness, Michael's smartalec-iness and Ben's disgruntledness; the plots are well-constructed; and the writing is top-notch, up there with the best. the show relies on healthy mix of visual and verbal humour, and it works very well. Despite the odd mediocre episode, this is modern Britcom at its' very best, back in the setting where it belongs: the dysfunctional family home.

Highly recommended.
  • "My Family\" is a British comedy TV show about a family seems normal but not everything is normal, it seems like disaster family where every once something funny or weird happens in this famliy and sometimes a problem come up too. it\'s a married couple

My Family is one of my favorite TV show, Nick is my favorite character in this one, he may look like a retard older teenager but I can\'t believe how funny he was, I mean I have no idea how he make lot of money from many kind of jobs, such as magician, his acting role as Jesus, working at the store, etc, sometime he\'s doing something that turn out to be outrageous funny, this is hilarious British TV show, it\'s something that I don\'t see every day.
  • A great light British comedy.

My Family is a fresh new comedy to BBC. It follows the problems of a 'disaster' family, whose members don't always get on. Ben, the father, cannot wait for his children to leave home and his wife, Susan, is the nagging lady of the house. Nick, the dopey teenager, is always looking for a job whilst Michael is excelling at school. Janey the eldest daughter is leaving for college, and has always got a boy nearby. Abi, who joins them in season 3, is a distant relative whose cleverness only rivals a carrot. The chemistry between these characters provides many laughs, and many sticky situations! Although the 'one-liners' in the program are not strong, the characters themselves make up for them. This is a perfect British comedy to watch on a Sunday night, but not one to get hooked on.
< 1 2