My-Hime

(ended 2005)

shengongwu3000

My-Hime Fan Reviews (7)

• A very good anime show but to be honest I still prefer the sequel.

The show is set in a Japanese highschool and centres around a group of girls who all have a special ability called HiME. This ability allows them to materiealise weapons and avatars with which to fight monsters (and also each other).

The show has good characters, with some very interesting inter-personal reationships and character development throughout the series. Somehow though having seen the sequel (mai-Otome) the show just isn't as good as it could have been and lacks something to make it really special.

All in all though it is a good show with some good moments and i have to confess mai-otome is much more interesting if you have seen this show first (all thaough it is not essential as they are not really related).
  • Gambling and girl fights, need I say more?

This show never comes on T.V. anymore (I don't know if it ever did) but what I can say is that it's worth the 1 week wait (I see it on On Demand, every week they show 2 - 5 new episodes). Seriously, this has all been done before in other anime since their's almost no more originality in anime anymore but I still can't believe that anime has gone this far without many people being discouraged about that fact. The only problem I think theis show has, just like any other anime, is filler episodes. Sure its a nice and necesary distraction but still.
  • What can I say?

If you're looking for girl power you've come to the right place. One of the best anime I've seen, judging not only the story line but the art design, it has absolutely everything action, romance, comedy- when we need it, episodes eighteen to the end had me bawling like a baby, I wish I knew before hand that every one would be alright or I'd have save my tears. Perfect in almost every way (I wanted to see Natsuki end up with that GUY) but hey you can't always get what you want but if you try sometimes you get what you can.
  • I love this show I wish it was still on

15 year old Mai Tokiha and her younger brother Takumi have been invited to attend the prestigious Fuka Academy, a unique island school that is administered by its own attendees. On the ship ride there they meet two of their fellow students. Yuichi is a normal guy but might just be a closet pervert, and he is always accompanied by his childhood friend, Shiho, whose tendril-like hair reflects her emotions, especially her jealousy of Mai! Things get a little stranger when a girl's body is pulled from the water. She is revived by Mai's CPR training but the strange thing is that when they pulled her out she was gripping a large grey sword! Another mysterious yet beautiful girl enters the picture, who seems to be either trying to kill or capture the sword wielder. She has some pretty fancy pistols that seem to materialize out of nowhere to match up against the sword. When the battle begins, Mai finds herself in the middle and awakening an unknown power in herself. Mai is a "Hime" and it is no coencidence that she is journeying to Fuka Academy. Secret powers are gathering together girls with supernatural abilties to fight against an enemy from the stars called "Orphans".
  • A deeply moving story where an ordinary girl's life turns upside down due to superpowers and conspiracy behind it all.

So, we have a bunch of girls who can see a mysterious red star in the sky. These girls have special powers (called HiME) and the ability to summon their own mecha-weapon or child for use in fights. Sounds like a typical superpower story so let's go watch X-men instead. No. You cannot be any more wrong than that.

The first thing that sets this anime apart from the rest is the music. The soundtrack score is simply one of the best, if not the best I've ever heard in the world of TV animation. The music matches perfectly with the scenes and amplifies the impact of the scenes. The composer is none other than Kajiura Yuki whose music has a unique blend of Opera, Techno and Pop. An unusual and unlikely combination yet it works wonderfully!

The art by Sunrise animation studio is a clear improvement over Gundam Seed with characters, scenery and mecha being crisp and clear. Thank goodness there was no recycling of frames which plagued Seed. Nonetheless, I've made it a personal game when watching Sunrise products to spot as many similarities to Gundam Seed as I can possibly can and there are a few - Natsuki's pose when commanding Duran to fire being the most obvious!

Then comes the story. It is very gripping and a deep emotional rollercoaster. This anime is split into 2 clear arcs. As the first rollercoaster arc ends, we think finally the characters have found peace. However, the second arc is even more emotionally involved than the first with inside conspiracy, lies and deceit thretening everything our characters have. Overall, a very clever combination of Battle, Emotion and general slice of life!

Characters. The protagonist is an easily likeable character and we follow her emotional swings as the show continues. Her reactions to situations in general is somewhat realistic. The supporting cast each have very unique traits and interesting backstories to keep us entertained. On top of it, we get great character development with the characters interacting with each other in a myriad of ways. We see bonds created and broken, fun and sadness as the series goes on. The character profiling is simply excellent.

Voice acting is good on the whole but nothing too special, since the "average" standard of voice acting in Japanese Animation is stupendously high in the first place.

With all the praise above, we now have to take into account the shortcomings.

1. The biggest drawback is that we do not get an adequate explanation why on earth the HiME powers exist. Where is it from and what is the history? A character does research but the results are not revealed to the viewer. Fundamental plot hole here as from what I can deduce from the little information given, the purpose of the power is nothing short of ridiculous. I really should be giving this show a 9.5 being a personal favourate but with the need to be objective, this alone reduces the score to 9.3.

2. The biggest drawback is that, Sunrise is simply useless at making cliffhangers! They did a semi-decent job in Seed, useless in Destiny, and of course, useless in Code Geass! Unfortunately, it is also absolutely useless in Hime but I shall not spoil.

3. The ending is also very controversial and cheesy with many fans voicing discontent but to be honest, I like it this way.

To sum it up, a deeply captivating show with top-notch music, emotion and characters and well worth the time for people interested in action and emotional shows.
  • Mai Tokiha was an ordinary high school girl, until she meets two strange girls on the way to her new school, Fuka Academy. This is the beautiful, romantic, dramatic and funny story of the adventure of the HiME...

I love this anime! I had seen it in a few anime update mags and I finally decided to rent it out one day at my local video store...AMAZING!

Mai Tokiha was an ordinary girl when one day she crosses paths with two strange girls on her way to Fuka Academy. She soon discovers her mysterious powers and finds out that she is a HiME. Now she has to deal with the efforts of fighting Orphans, finding answers and taking care of her brother Takumi...as well as the drama of living as a 15 year old girl.

I love this series...I haven't seen it all just yet but I can't wait ^-^ I'll be sure to keep watching though.
  • Mai Tokiha is just an ordinary girl until one day she discovers that she is a HiME and that she was brought to Fuka Academy to fight the creatures known as Orphens.

I am hooked!! this show is really good and it has an interesting plot and cool characters. Mai is the main character and she has to help take care of her brother takumi. She goes to Fuka academy and discovers that she is a hime and that she was brought there because of her hime abilities and that she must fight monsters known as orphens. The plot in this show is really good and i think people should watch this show. It is a very funny show at times but it can go to serious in a matter of seconds. This is a cool show so i think people should definitely check it out.