My Life as a Teenage Robot

It Came from Next Door / Pest Control

Aired Unknown Aug 01, 2003 on Nickelodeon

• The pilot for the series, redone and improved, and a well done second cartoon make for a great debut

It Came from Next Door is the remake of the pilot My Neighbor is a Teenage Robot. while the plot is exactly the same, it looks much better. Renzetti put a lot of thought into the style for the series, and it shows. The design of the characters was improved (with the exception of Wakeman, I rather liked her old look) and the cartoon visually is more interesting and friendly. Also this version is a couple of minutes longer that the original, so they can improve on scenes such as opening where Tuck discovers this "Bloodthirsty robot", who turns out to be XJ-9, (but call her Jenny). Also good are the scenes where Jenny encounters a frisbee, as well as when she plays with her neighbors. The second cartoon is just as good- Mrs. Wakemans' lab rats try to mutiny against her using Jenny as a weapon. I liked the part where Tuck and Brad discover Jenny's disembodied head, and how they and Mrs. Wakeman fight the rat leader Vladimir (you have to see how she finally catches him!) And the gag at the very end is inspired. I remember watching the pilot on Oh Yeah Cartoons and thinking this was one cartoon I wanted to see more of. The premiere didn't disappoint.
  • It Came From Next Door and Pest Control are cartoon classics, especially Pest Control.

It Came From Next Door____
    This episode is pretty much a redo of \"My Neighbor Was a Teenage Robot\" which aired on Oh Yeah! Cartoons, with some minor alterations and added scenes. This episode is a great way to kick off the show, and the writers have pulled off all the classic sci-fi and cartoony elements of the 30\'s, 40\'s, and 50\'s and brought them into the future (That sounds old fashioned, doesn\'t it?) The one thing that I like about this episode the most? Jenny keeps quibbling over an Asteroid\'s mass, and it\'s becoming a constant bother for her this whole episode. Good start, but there is always room to improve.

Pest Control____
    Oh Jenny, what have you gotten yourself into this time? Dr. Wakeman\'s mutant lab rats seek their revenge on her by taking total control of Jenny\'s body, and leaving her head behind in the process. Already, I saw a very huge amount of originality in this episode because I had yet to see a cartoon where a robot head is fighting against its own body, very clever gag that shows animals can\'t do much anymore. Also, Tuck is hilarious in this episode because he\'s completely lost, and unaware of what\'s going on. This was a great start for Teenage Robot, and it would only get better after that.
  • It started it all!

What can I really say? This was the first episode ever which means it will always hold a special place in my memories. I remember sitting at home with my family…my sister didn’t want to watch it but I did. And, boy, am I glad I did. I was introduced to Jenny- a super cool superhero with a personality that I can relate to. Plus, it was with that first episode that I fell in love with a boy named Brad and-of course- his little brother Tuck. This was the show that started them all!