My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

Dragon Quest

Aired Saturday 10:30 AM Mar 17, 2012 on The Hub

• Simply put, an excellent episode for Spike

After being absent recently for a lot of episodes or having some minor appearances, Spike finally returns for a new episode about finding out who he is. It begins with Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash trying to get Fluttershy to come see the Great Dragon Migration with the others, but she runs off before they take her. During the observation of dragons flying, Rainbow makes fun of Spike for how he doesn't act like a dragon and things only get worse when Pinkie Pie and Applejack get in with the others and point out how Spike is not like other dragons making him upset. Later that night, Twilight helps Spike with trying to find out about dragons, but they find nothing. Rarity and Rainbow then come in and listen with Twilight that Spike has decided to head out and do the the Great Dragon Migration to find out who he is. Rarity and Rainbow try to stop him, but Twilight supports him for doing so at first, but together with her friends they follow Spike. Spike reaches a mountain where other dragons are and finds a group of teenage dragons. The teens haze Spike and pick on him a lot, making him feel inferior. Twilight, Rarity, and Rainbow then show up disguised as a dragon and try to help out Spike, but a lot of their efforts go to waste. After doing a hardcore belly flop in a pool of molten lava, Spike is welcomed as a rookie dragon. The teens and Spike party on and he feels that he could stay with the dragons forever much to Twilight and the others fears. The teens take Spike to do a dragon raid which involves going to a phoenix's nest and taking the eggs. Spike distracts the parents while the teens go take the eggs, but they are already hatched. The phoenix parents hear their babies cawing for help and go take on the teen dragons. The teens are taken down by the phoenixes and they all get away, save for one baby egg. The teens see this and tell Spike to smash it, but he refuses since he was like that as a baby. The teens get angry at this and advance on Spike, but then Twilight and her friends come to his rescue. Spike and the others escape before the teens capture him, and escape to the outskirts of Ponyville. Spike realizes that his pony friends are more than friends they are his family. Spike learns about discovering who he is and not what he is and states he loves all his friends. Our episode ends with Spike seeing the phoenix egg hatch and takes him as a pet calling him Peewee. This was indeed another excellent episode for Spike. This episode really did an outstanding job with giving the dragon a lot of character development and while he starts out weak in the beginning he becomes stronger at the end as well. Rarity was excellent and shows she really cares for Spike a lot, even going as far as using violence to save Spike. Twilight was also well done and she shows how much she cares for Spike as well; it's a huge improvement from season 1 where she treated Spike indifferently. Rainbow I have to say once again acts like a jerk, but thankfully she redeems herself throughout the episode, so she at least isn't a full on pain in the flank. The only real issue is that those teen dragons were real jerks and should've gotten a better comeuppance at the end than slam into a tree again. All in all though, wonderful character development, a heartwarming episode, and really one of the best. It's a must see for all.

FINAL SCORE: 10/10
  • Best Spike episode that I have ever seen

After observing the Great Dragon Migration with his pony friends, Spike starts to question his dragon roots and wonder about his true identity. He sets out to join the dragon migration on a quest of self discovery and is tailed by some of his friends to ensure he does not get into too much trouble. Well, now that I'm back from my Spring Break family trip at Austin, Texas. I can review again which is good. As I was on the road back to my home, I watched this NEW episode on my Android Phone through YouTube. Thank goodness that YouTube has the episodes. Well yeah, I watched this episode through my Android phone on the road back home and I loved this episode. This is most certainly the best Spike episode that I have ever seen. Only nit-pick I have with the episode was Rainbow Dash teasing Spike about him not being a real dragon but that was just a nit-pick so yeah. I know Spike is That_TV_Dude's favorite character on this show so I'm sure he enjoyed this episode slightly more than I did. The storyline to this episode was so unbelievably awesome and there was a lot of humor to make me laugh. The parts that made me were Fluttershy being scared to go to the Dragon Migration and Rainbow Dash pushes her into going but Fluttershy runs out (that was drop dead hilarious..... I was on the road so I covered my mouth), Twilight encouraging Spike to go on his quest but she, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash end up following Spike, Spike falling flat on the lava, every other challenge that Spike did with the teenage dragons, and many more. I also loved how Rarity really does show that she cares about Spike a lot. I look forward to see more of the Spike/Rarity relationship because it is really cute to watch. Pinkie Pie was also hilarious in this episode as well even though she was only in the first 8 minutes of the episode. Even I'm not too crazy about her, Twilight was very likeable in this episode and I'm glad that she is starting to treat Spike better. That fire-looking egg hatching with Spike naming it PeeWee was nice as well. So yeah, I really loved this episode and it was worth watching through my Android phone as I was on my way back home. It was just hard NOT to laugh because I laughed at a lot of parts but some of my family members in the SUV were sleeping so I had to be quiet. Overall, the best Spike episode I've ever seen..... amazing storyline and fantastic humor to enjoy, I say this episode is a MUST SEE if you ask me. 10/10
  • I knew it all along

I knew it all along that there would be an episode about phoenixes.Spike is finally having his own episode after Secret of my Excess. That was worth the wait.

Fluttershy leaves before the dragon migration, and Spike leaves thereafter in anger too. The next day are Spike joining the dragons on their migration. In comes his friends in disguise. But the dragons do things the hard way, and tries to get him to destroy phoenix eggs. So what would Spike do? After some blend episodes since A Friend in Deed are FiM back and better than before.
  • Simple yet adorable

I have no other words to say about this episode. :)