We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Forums

Saturday 10:30 AM on The HubIn Season

Official discussion for Lesson Zero

That_TV_Dude

[1]Oct 15, 2011
    • level: 24

After 2 weeks of no new FiM episodes, I have to say this was really worth the wait. Twilight goes all insane, Big Mac was hilarious, and I loved how Spike was given respect in this episode and was the real hero with sending the letter to the princess in time. I think season 2 is getting better and better. Discuss the episode here!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Spongedude12

[2]Oct 15, 2011
    • level: 4

Possibly the best episode of the series! I loved how many things from the early first season returned, like the Mayor and Twilight's Teleportation powers. Her going into the breakdown was super funny, as well as Big Macintosh's parts. Hopefully, if this keeps up, many fans can put their fear of the show going downhill because of Lauren Faust stepping down to rest!

bluecatcinema

[3]Oct 15, 2011
    • level: 61
    That was so freakin' funny! Twilight's madness, Rarity's drama, all outstanding! The updated intro was cool, too.

MarthaFan2

[4]Oct 15, 2011
    • level: 11

I think it's the best episode so far. My favorite parts were with Big Macintosh, Twilight having a mental breakdown, Fluttershy wrestling that bear, and let's not forget the Atomic Rainboom.

tigerdude22

[5]Oct 16, 2011
    • level: 43
    Eh, it wasn't the greatest episode I've ever seen but I did really like it. Twilight going insane was kinda stupid and a little irritating in my opinion. Some of her breakdowns are very funny while the others are not very good. I rate it a 9/10... not perfect but superb should be fair.

BlackTulip009

[6]Oct 18, 2011
    • level: 12

The show does just keep getting cooler--how do they do it?!? With each consecutive episode, they seem to be giving us more of what we want. I've never heard of a production company being this

FIRST of all, I loved the "new," slightly different version of the theme song, including that "train" shot of Twilight trotting into Ponyville with Spike that had been leaked early.

At first, I was amused by Twilight's OCD (obsessive cupcake disorder!) and her predicament, although I sympathized with her at the same time. I could relate to her stress over having to get something accomlished quickly and maintain a perfect (or near-perfect) record. It also struck me how free the artists were with the exaggerated, cartoony expressions of Twilight's freaking out and breaking down. (This was awesome.)

I absolutely loved the bits with her trying to help her friends who didn't need help. Applejack jumping into the ditch with her helmet, Twilight trying to give Demolition Dash the psychiatrist treatment...that scene rocked. And who knew Dash's tail could look so neat when she's stopped in midair?! Then there was Kung Fu-shy, and Her Highness, the Queen of Drama, Miss Rarity, and her "WORST possible things!" XDDD

So poor Twilight's worries were dismissed by her pals, prompting her to troll the Cutie Mark Crusaders with a ratty old plushie--and I can see "I like her mane" becoming an oft-quoted line as well. The madness that broke out when (almost) everypony became enamored of Twi's old doll was quality entertainment, lemme tell ya. 'Specially Big Mac!! XD

I ALSO loved the ending, with everypony together at Twilight's place, Spike being his usual smartarse self, and the reveal that had been predicted much earlier on: All of the ponies are now free to write their own letters to Celestia from their own perspecties, so the show can be even more evenly balanced than it already is, AND, it was implied that there won't necessarily be a "friendship and getting along lesson" moral to *every* episode from now on (which is interesting and may allow them a bit more freedom, without having to derive a moral from each storyline...besides, what if they ran out?! Perish the thought!!)

So all in all, a terrific episode. I won't say that it's sprung to the top of my favorites list or anything, but I'd give it a solid score...again.

pwn312

[7]Oct 26, 2011
    • level: 20

Sorry about reviving an old thread, but I usually like sharing my opinions on episodes after I finish writing up their recaps. Forcing me to review an episode scene by scene sometimes changes my opinion of an episode quite drastically.

Anyway, this was a fun episode. Super-creeper Twilight is now my favourite Twilight. I cannot help but laugh every time I think about her popping out of the beach ball the crusaders are playing with and saying "Hi, girls!" with that ├╝ber-creepy grin on her face. Meghan McCarthy sure knows how to write crazy (she also wrote "Party of One") and as BlackTulip009 mentioned, those artists really got Twilight's face goin'.

Big Mac continued his adorable streak in this episode with his reaction to Smarty Pants. Hasbro needs to make a Big Mac toy a.s.a.p. Fluttershy's physiotherapy technique was also pretty awesome and it's about time Spike got some recognition for his amazingness. Sometimes it seems that the friendship report is really just a retelling of something Spike had already said or demonstrated earlier in the episode.

BlackTulip009

[8]Oct 27, 2011
    • level: 12

Oh, man, I could not agree more about creepy Twilight with her "Hi, girls!" and McCarthy's uncanny knack for writing scary insanity. x3 And of course, the need for a Big Mac toy...preferably one who can at least say, "Eeyup."

Three cheers for Spike, too. He does deserve more attention, since he IS sometimes right about things before anypony realizes the truth of his points...and then he rarely gets sufficient acknowledgement.

Except for in "The Best Night Ever."

gideonbernstein

[9]Dec 27, 2011
    • level: 45
    That_TV_Dude wrote:

After 2 weeks of no new FiM episodes, I have to say this was really worth the wait. Twilight goes all insane, Big Mac was hilarious, and I loved how Spike was given respect in this episode and was the real hero with sending the letter to the princess in time. I think season 2 is getting better and better. Discuss the episode here!

As for Twilight going insane, do they make straitjackets for animals?