My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Forums

Saturday 10:30 AM on The HubIn Season

Season 3 Episode Info and Speculation Thread

pwn312

[1]Oct 18, 2012
    • level: 20

I've contained, and will be containing, all of the news for season 3 in this thread, so the forum does not fall victim to a cartload of cluttering news topics. Sticking all of the news for future episodes in one thread will also help contain spoilers for those that do not like knowing anything about future episodes. I also welcome any speculation on future episodes in this thread. I suppose you could speculate on past episodes as well, but that might be less fun. Tongue out

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pwn312

[2]Oct 18, 2012

. . . so, here's some info on the first two episodes! As usual, the season is starting off with a two-parter titled, "The Crystal Empire". As you may have guessed, the episodes will be about a crystal empire. This particular empire is located in Equestria's north and recently reappeared after a thousand-year curse went kaput. (Apparently, Equestria was a very exciting place a thousand years ago with empires being cursed out of existence and royalty going evil and being banished to the moon.) However, the Crystal Empire's citizens' bad luck never ceases, and they are once again in some kind of horrible peril. Celestia is busy doing whatever she does when she isn't reading letters from the residents of Ponyville, so it is up to Twilight and the gang to protect the empire from calamity.

Now, I know there are a lot more spoilers out there that I haven't seen, so my speculation may already be defunct. Still, I'm pretty sure the episodes are going to end with the shattered pieces of the empire localized almost exclusively on Rarity's dresses and in Spike's stomach.

Also, I'd like to note that these episodes will air at 10 a.m. EST on November 10. I've updated the air time of the show, so the sweet countdown clock on "The Crystal Empire, Part 1"'s should be accurate soon. All aboard the hype train! Woot, woot!

Edited on 10/18/2012 2:29pm

pwn312

[3]Oct 23, 2012

Well, the start of the new season is still a couple weeks away, but we already have news on the third episode! Titled "Too Many Pinkie Pies", it features Pinkie Pie (ab)using a magic mirror to make clones of herself that will allow her to hang out with multiple friends in different locations simultaneously.

I think this is going to be a great episode, but the title is all wrong. I'm pretty sure there is no such things as too much Pinkie Pie. However, that's okay because I'm sure the friendship lesson in this episode will confirm this. ("Dear Princess Celestia: I gave Pinkie a magic mirror today, and, well, now I and the rest of Ponyville are being crushed under a giant mountain of Pikie Pies. I'm okay with this. Your faithful student [with no regrets], Twilight Sparkle")

Edited on 10/23/2012 9:07pm
    Edited 2 total times.

pwn312

[4]Nov 3, 2012
    It looks like the Cutie Mark Crusaders (CMCs) are getting their first episode of season three! Tilted "One Bad Apple", the episode introduces Apple Bloom's cousin Babs Seed. The CMCs offered to include the foal to their group, but Babs chooses to bully them instead. I suppose this will be an episode about bullies and how to deal with them. Given Equestria's zero tolerance policy on unsavoury behaviour, I wouldn't be surprised if Bab's ends up on the Moon or turned into a stone statue. However, if Equestrian law isn't as strict on foals as it is on super villains, I'm really unsure of how the episode will turn out. Bullying is a bit of a touchy subject, and there seems to be as many opinions on what to do with bullying as there is on how to bake chocolate chip cookies. (Roughly equal parts flour and chocolate chips; 12 minutes @ 325ºF; cookies should be about 3 inches in diameter when done. Everything anyone else will tell you is just wrong. ) I suppose telling a responsible adult about the bully will probably come up during the episode. However, what will the adults do about Babs? Will someone be able to love and tolerate the hate out of the bullying pony? I guess we'll see how things go on the 24th.

pwn312

[5]Nov 10, 2012
    Trixie's back in the fifth episode of the season, "Magic Duel", and apparently she's back with a vengeance, defeating Twilight and banishing her from town. I suppose Twilight didn't directly defeat Trixie last time but rather shamed her out of town, so it should be interesting to see what happens when the two of them go head to head in a proper duel. It is also difficult to see how Trixie could best Twilight in a fair fight. I suspect some cheating or deceiving will be fuelling Trixie's victory. At least we know they'll put on a good show regardless.

pwn312

[6]Nov 10, 2012
    Scootaloo finally gets an episode! "Sleepless in Ponyville" features a Scootaloo scared sleepless after she hears some spooky campfire stories. A sleeping Scootaloo probably means a Scootaloo at home, which will probably mean we finally get to see what her family is like. (Unless the entire episode takes place during a CMC camping trip or some other kind of cop-out.) Nevertheless, this much attention on Scootaloo will surely offer a lot that we haven't seen before.

gideonbernstein

[7]Nov 10, 2012
    • level: 43
    I have seen a commercial during the season premiere that showed scenes from upcoming episodes. In it, Rarity and Applejack are turned into foals, and it mentioned something about Twilight finding her ultimate destiny. Princess Celestria obviously has big plans for her when she completes her studies.

gideonbernstein

[8]Nov 11, 2012
    • level: 43
    I also hear that Fluttershy lives her worst nightmare when she gets turned into a dragon..

pwn312

[9]Nov 27, 2012
    We now have some info on the seventh episode of this season, "Wonderbolt Academy". Rainbow Dash gets invited to, guess what, the Wonderbolt Academy, but ends up unsure if the Wonderbolts are right for her.

I have a hunch that Rainbow Dash does not end up as a Wonderbolt at the end of the episode, and I'm going to guess that it may have something to do with being a Wonderbolt somehow hindering access to her friends. However, it'd be a lot cooler if RD ditches their ranks because they turn out to be secret eggheads or vampires or something. Or, maybe they can fly so fast because they have synthetic body parts because regular, non-augmented ponies would break under all the g-forces, and becoming half-robot creeps Rainbow Dash out. I think regardless of the outcome of the episode, robots will be involved somehow.

pwn312

[10]Nov 27, 2012

. . . and it looks like we have some information for the ninth episode as well. "Apple Family Reunion" will have Applejack running this year's family reunion, but she loses sight of what is important.

Given that it is a family reunion, I suppose family would be the important bit. What distracts Applejack is a little more up in the air. I suppose she could fret over her preparations a little too much, or get distracted by a really sweet video game she just bought. Or, maybe "losing sight of what is important" is a clever pun, and Applejack is temporarily blinded by a solar eclipse (a result of a row between Celestia and Luna) and must struggle to make the event a success even with her disability. And, maybe "family reunion" is also a pun because each Apple Family member stems from a single apple-themed super being. Every year they have to go through a "reunion" where their bodies meld together, so they can share their experiences with each other via DNA memory splicing mumbo-jumbo.

Edited on 11/27/2012 3:54pm

taker65

[11]Nov 29, 2012
    • level: 53

Something is kind of bugging me. On the episode guide to season 3 on both Equestria Daily and the MLP wiki, they say at Apple Family Reunion and Spike at your Service are episodes nine and ten. What about episode eight?

pwn312

[12]Dec 1, 2012

taker65 wrote:

Something is kind of bugging me. On the episode guide to season 3 on both Equestria Daily and the MLP wiki, they say at Apple Family Reunion and Spike at your Service are episodes nine and ten. What about episode eight?

Indeed. Very mysterious. Episodes 7 and 9 also air a week apart. "Apple Family Reunion"'s place as the ninth episode was confirmed by one of the staff members to be the ninth episode, but I still think there may have been an error somewhere.

pwn312

[13]Dec 4, 2012

It looks like we may have another Spike-centric episode with the tenth of the season, "Spike at Your Service". In it, Applejack saves Spike, and, according to the Noble Dragon Code, he feels obligated to repay his debt to her by excessively helping out around the farm.

Its too bad episode 9 and 10 did not happen at the same time. I have a feeling Applejack would love some excessive help setting up the family reunion. I'm also wondering where this Noble Dragon Code comes from. To the best of my knowledge, Spike hasn't spent a lot of time with his fellow dragons and doesn't like adhering to their customs, as we saw in "Dragon Quest". This dragon code seems like something Spike comes up with to justify his own personality traits. This episode may also feature a Spike-less Twilight. It might be interesting to see how she gets by without her slave assistant.

pwn312

[14]Dec 25, 2012

Welp, episode order has been a little funny recently, so the tenth episode, "Keep Calm and Flutter On", will be airing next year instead of being "Spike at Your Service". Apparently, the real eighth episode of this season somehow got switched to some other place in the season. All this confusion may be appropriate if the eighth episode turned out to be the tenth because "Keep Calm and Flutter On" will feature Princess Celestia giving the mane six the minor task of reforming Discord. All of the sane ponies think that this is a bonkers idea, but for some reason Fluttershy thinks Discord deserves a chance.

First off, yes, this will probably be the best episode ever. Secondly, I suppose if anyone would have a good chance of taming Discord, it would be Fluttershy. She seemed to have the greatest resistance to Discord's corruption in the first episode of season 2. As long as he doesn't poke her in the head, she should be fine. Thirdly, Discord was stuck in his stone prison until Celestia and Luna lost their control over the Elements of Harmony and the CMCs nearly brought about the apocalypse with their shenanigans. Now that the Elements have been used to imprison him again, how is Discord going to break out of his stone prison or, at least, communicate with ponies again? Unless the prison fails, why would Celestia suggest reforming Discord?

Finally, there were some rumours going around that Discord could be Star Swirl the Bearded. I think that would be uber-cool if that were the case, but I'm somewhat skeptical. Celestia mentioned that Discord ruled Equestria until she and Luna defeated him with the Elements of Harmony. However, we learned in the Hearth's Warming Eve pageant that Twilight's character, Clover the Clever, one of the founders of Equestria, was mentored by Star Swirl the Bearded. It sounds like Star Swirl the Bearded may have already perished before Equestria was founded and eventually ruled by Discord. I suppose Celestia could have meant that Discord ruled what would turn into Equestria later, which means Celestia and Luna could have defeated him and come to power before Equestria was founded. This would also explain why the two alicorns were on Equestria's flag. It could also explain why Celestia specifically mentions how Discord's reign made unicorns', earth ponies', and pegasi's lives miserable instead of just everypony's lives miserable since the three races used to live separately until Equestria was founded.

Or, maybe I'm looking way too far into all this because I'm super stoked for another Discord episode. This is going to be so awesome! ^3^

Edited on 12/25/2012 10:27pm
    Edited 2 total times.

taker65

[15]Dec 26, 2012
    • level: 53
    I have a few theories on how the new Discord episode is going to play out. 1. Discord learns to behave and becomes more of an anti-hero than a villain
    2. Discord acts like he's reformed, but it turns out he was just pretending
    3. The whole thing was a test to show Fluttershy that she can't be too nice and the Discord she was with was really part of a spell that Celestia made up.

pwn312

[16]Jan 1, 2013
    If you cannot get enough of Spike being incompetent, then you will love the eleventh episode in the season, "Just for Sidekicks." In it, Spike takes care of the mane six's pets and becomes overwhelmed. It might be nice to see our favourite aeroturtle again, Tank. Hopefully Peewee, Spike's phoenix, will be back again as well. I suppose this episode may turn out similar to "Baby Cakes" or "Stare Master" in terms of lessons learned. I think as long as Fluttershy shows up ghost-Obi-Wan-style to guide Spike towards becoming a good pet sitter, this episode should turn out well.

pwn312

[17]Jan 12, 2013

Apparently the twelfth episode, "Games Ponies Play", will feature Princess Cadance inviting the mane 6 greeting the important Equestria Games inspector.

In a recent promo, an arena is shown in the Crystal Empire, so it is probably safe to assume that is where the games will be held or where the mane 6 will lobby for them to be held. I predict the episode will feature the mane 6 either patching up the Crystal Empire, preventing small things from going wrong, teaching the inspector to be more loving and tolerant, or something else entirely. Anyway, as long as the inspector doesn't ask any questions like "Has your city been attacked by malevolent forces that threaten to enslave the citizens recently?", things should turn out fine.

Edited on 01/12/2013 11:51am

pwn312

[18]Jan 19, 2013

. . . and the final episode of the season, "Magical Mystery Cure", will involve Twilight switching the cutie marks and, therefore, destinies of some unnamed ponies, and it will be up to her to write her own magic to counter the spell.

Although the summary that has been posted has not specified if the cutie marks were changed on the mane 6 or not, I think it is safe to assume they will be. I wonder if this means that their special talents will change as well. If so, that would mean Twilight would have a heck of a time writing her own magic if she loses her magical talent. The episode could change quite a bit depending on exactly how much of what is switched. What I would really like to see is the mane 6 completely switching lives and mannerisms so we get to see a Rarity working on Sweet Apple Acres, speaking in a southern accent, and Rainbow Dash always dressing in style and so on.

Also, the Hub has been mentioning something about a Princess Coronation Event surrounding this episode, but the summary does not seem to suggest anything like that. There's been a lot of speculation that Twilight or possibly the entire mane six would get princessified, implying an alicorn upgrade. I'm not sure how I feel about that. For example, one of the things that makes Pinkie Pie so interesting is she is an earth pony, but she seems to have cartoonish physics bending properties and her Pinkie sense that imply she has magic-like powers that are different than the logical magical skills Twilight and Rarity have. Give Pinkie Pie a horn, and now things get all muddled. Plus, alicorns are the superheros of Equestria, and a show about six superhero friends is very different than a show about six small-town weirdos that, together, through their friendship, have superhero-like power.

bluecatcinema

[19]Jan 19, 2013
    • level: 61
    Well, that's something to look forward to.

TKnHappyNess

[20]Jan 29, 2013

We now know what's going to happen in the Season 3 finale.

***SPOILER***