My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Forums

Saturday 10:30 AM on The HubIn Season

What's your LEAST favorite MLP:FIM episode?

BlackTulip009

[21]Oct 13, 2011
    • level: 12
    This is always a tough question for me, because there is no episode that I don't like, or even that really stands out as being weak. I always have to answer with "Look Before You Sleep," because even though I very much enjoy it, it's not a favorite. Twilight is pretty funny throughout that one, and it features Applejack heavily (she's my close 2nd favorite right after Rainbow Dash.) I just...I dunno. Maybe I felt as though she and Rarity (and their differences) were kind of exaggerated to create the *ahem* discord between them. It made for a ton of laughs, though, and I didn't find it to be a bad episode in any way, shape, or form. They haven't made a bad one yet, in my opinion.

"Feeling Pinkie Keen" was another one that sort of falls nearer to the bottom of my list, because it sparked off that whole religion/science debate. It IS a great ep--quite mature, deep, and thought-provoking for a "little girl's show." The more profound themes present there were definitely not lost on the show's older fanbase. A lot of us were slightly put off by the way that the moral of that one was handled; I still think it could have been a little better, which may be the *only* reason it loses a point or two from me. Still LOVE it. Even if we never see Pinkie Sense in action again. O.o (Was it one of those one-time cartoon things? This show does all right with continuity even though the episodes are basically separate, without a linear flow...) And although it lacks Rainbow Dash and Rarity, it incoporates Applejack and Fluttershy nicely; and everypony can't be in every episode, anyway. I totally sympathized with Twilight, but Pinkie's unsinkable attitude throughout the ep was adorable. And those violent, old-cartoon-style gags that kept injuring poor Twi?! Genius. The Froggy Bottom Bog sequence was another great "adventure/danger" scene (love those.) All in all, the episode had a lot of awesome moments, and the lesson was interesting and different, especially for a kid's show: Even if you can't explain how something works, you may need to accept evidence that it seems to exist. The universe holds plenty of mysteries which we cannot fully understand or control, even with all of our advanced science, research, testing, etc.

Sonic Rainboom is one of my very favorites. :3 I thought it was pretty epic and manly myself, lol. Yes, Rarity got terribly carried away, and the jeering colts were jerks, etc., but everything worked out to great effect, in my view. It seemed a near-perfect episode to me. It had so many good points. Same with Fall Weather Friends. Considering my top two favorite ponies, I reckon it's no wonder that that episode instantly became another one of my faves.
    I loved The Show Stoppers, and the musical number...XD It must have been tough for Daniel Ingram to make his song *worse* upon request!

I do tend to love the episodes that feature everypony, especially if they all get to play a significant part. And I surely do hope to see more of Trixie and Gilda, and find out more about what makes them the way they are. (I could totally imagine an episode with a "forgiveness" and "turning enemies into friends" sort of moral.) And oooh, I adored Owl's Well That Ends Well. Seems almost every time they introduce a new character, I want to see more of that character--either because I love him/her (as is the case with Owloysius), or because they're hateable and I want to know why (see Trixie, Gilda.) I basically liked Spike's role in that episode, although it's also true that we should probably see the tables turned at some point--Twilight *could* do with a reminder not to take him for granted, and to treat him a little more fairly sometimes.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ANYTHINGxLOVER

[22]Oct 15, 2011
    • level: 2

For me, there are a few that pop in mind...

"Feeling Pinkie Keen" for very obvious reasons. I get that the religious undertones in the episode weren't intended by Faust and her co-workers, but they're blatant to the trained eye and common brony. All things considered, this is still a solid episode, but still... I do not need religious faith in my favorite cartoons. If I want religion, I either pick up my bible and open it, engross myself in my local church's sermon of the week, tune in to my Christian cable channel or use my bible app on my iPhone.

"Sonic Rainboom" is a love-hate affair. I love Rainbow Dash. I do. And I appreciate how the show presented her. But in this episode (and "The Cutie Mark Chronicles" to a somewhat lesser extent), she came off as such a Mary Sue that thinking about it is painful. I know that the combination of her pride and her lack of confidence fleshes her out, but she came off as a pony who's been given everything on a silver platter in these episodes. On the other hand, the shout-out to the legend of Icarus was pretty awesome. I guess Rarity being slightly fleshed out in this episode is kind of a saving grace.

"Winter Wrap Up" is probably more of a personal thing than any of my other gripes with the episodes. And what makes this more of a personal issue is that the titular song (which I love, don't get me wrong) is everywhere. It's like Rihanna's "Umbrella" over and over again, except it's actually tolerable.

The two-part pilot and the two-part season 2 premiere fall into the same category as "Sonic Rainboom" does. For the pilot, it gets credit for creating the MLP craze and introducing us to six charming, very memorable and wonderfully-diverse characters. Like with "Sonic Rainboom", the overkill of Mary Sue depiction of the mane six near the end of part 2 sullied the whole thing. They came off as superheroes and as the only ones in Equestria who are actually honest, generous, kind, loyal, fun-loving and magical, which is just plain poppycock if it were true.

Season 2's premiere, "The Return of Harmony", is a little more extreme on the Mary Sue issue. Again, portrayed as superheroes and treated and loved (the ending to part 2, the Star Wars IV reference, which again was outstanding) as such. Again, portrayed as the only ones with those six qualities. But as usual, the episodes reflect on the staff's welcome love for character development; looks like you finally know the fundamentals of being a true friend, huh, Twilight Sparkle? The inclusion of a great antagonist in Discord was also neat, and really added to the epicness of the two episodes. The same epicness we've experienced in watching the pilot for the first time. John de Lancie (aka Star Trek's Q) voicing him was just icing on the cake.

But the real kicker for me is the ambiguity behind "The Return of Harmony". If anyone notices, the elements of these episodes were much, MUCH darker than...well, what you'd normally expect from any incarnation of My Little Pony. The kind of factors that really set the stage for a new season of a TV show. That, and the introduction of a new character. Discord, in this case. And if anyone notices further, the ending to part 2 created a very climactic feel due to the combination of the scene and the triumphant closing music. The factors that lend towards the conclusion of a season of a TV show. I (and a lot of others) can't tell whether these episodes really wanted to be the season 2 premiere or if they wanted to be the finale to season 1. And the fact that the latter was originally intended makes this worse.

All that aside, as with most episodes, the pros for these four episodes heavily outweigh the cons.

BlackTulip009

[23]Oct 18, 2011

I appreciate any message about being open to different beliefs, but many of us sincerely hoped that they weren't trying to vilify Twilight for her skepticism. Questioning and searching for proof is commendable; her only fault there was that she was so determined to DISprove the validity of "Pinkie Sense" that she refused to look at all of the evidence and, like a good scientist, admit that it does appear to work accurately, despite the fact that she can't explain it.

I've actually never gotten a "Mary Sue"-ish type of feeling from this show at all. Well, at first I may have been slightly worried that Twilight might turn out kind of that way, but fortunately I was proven wrong. ^^ Seems a lot of other people were put off by Rarity's behavior in Sonic Rainboom...personally, I found it to be irritating in a mostly hilarious way. The Icarus reference was great.

Heh heh heh, blame us folks who catch ourselves going around singing or humming "Winter Wrap-Up" all the time...it WILL lodge itself in your head. Be prepared.

I totally agree regarding all of the "pro" points. It never really occurred to me that the six "mane" ponies were being celebrated as though they were the only ones who possessed their elemental qualities. I think it was just the fact that they, in their particular combination, were all prophetically destined to wield the elements, and become heroes of Equestria. Thus, they are thanked with much jubilation, but yet...after that, they seem to return to being "average" citizens, with everypony else tending to exhibit little regard for what they did in the epic two-part adventure episodes. So this never bothered me, because if they were constantly revered and treated like goddesses instead of equal to the rest of the population, I'm sure they'd all get quite sick of it.

"The Return of Harmony" DEFINITELY took a dark turn. I thought it was especially evident towards the middle and end of Part 1. (Now, to be fair, I've seen some very creepy, dark, and scary stuff in the old MLP--and I've no doubt that Lauren Faust intended for this show not to be afraid to go in that direction as well. Kids can handle it--and we adult fans can, too, lol.) The Season 2 premiere was one heck of a way to kick off a new season with a bang, and if it was just a warm-up, I feel we can anticipate really great things to come. I also could have seen it being the finale to Season 1, book-ending it...but it was appropriate as an opener, too. Either way, you want an impressive episode. And this suggested to me that we may be able to expect a legendary two-parter at the start of each season.

That_TV_Dude

[24]Oct 26, 2011
    • level: 24

I also was not crazy about Owl's Well that Ends Well. For a first Spike episode it was so poorly executed and left so much to be desired. Up until when we meet the owl the episode was great. I hated that stupid owl so much and was a complete waste of a character. I hated how Twilight and the others showed more praise for the owl than Spike even though Spike did more work than the owl. I also hated how hypocritical the ponies were about Spike and how they showed little concern for Spike's jealousy. I really despised Twilight's attitude to Spike and shouldn't have acted like that towards Spike at all. She was also hypocritical as well in this episode saying Spike will never be replaced, but yet lets the owl take Spike's job. Even her apology at the end of the episode was terrible and it seemed she wasn't truly sorry at all for what she did. It's why I hope in a future episode, Twilight gets a very harsh lesson about using others like Spike and not showing them the same love as her friends. I hope to never see that stupid owl again and he just simply goes away forever. Aside from some funny moments, it couldn't save this episode at all from being my second worst episode of season 1 of this show. Honestly this episode was terrible and the next time there's a Spike episode, Spike be treated better than in this episode, he deserves a better episode than this.

BlackTulip009

[25]Oct 27, 2011

I actually adore Owloysius and have been hoping to find out what else happened to him...but I must admit that I'm with you on the injustice-toward-Spike thing. I sometimes feel that he really is like a slave/servant to Twilight, and I've heard more than one other person also express that there should be an episode in which Twi learns a lesson about respecting and appreciating him--because that one, while a good episode in my judgment, didn't do the trick well enough, and made me feel bad indeed for the little dragon.

BenWaldburger

[26]Mar 14, 2012
    • level: 5
    I don't really hate any of the episodes. However, if I had to pick a least favorite, it would be Sonic Rainboom. As much as I love Rarity, it really irked me about how much of a showoff she was being and it didn't exactly help Rainbow Dash's problem with the contest.

SafTLiner2D

[27]Jun 3, 2012
    • level: 7
    All in all, except for a couple or few episodes that I think could've done a little better, the series is great. But my least favorite episode will have to be Ponyville Confidential. For one, I didn't like the situation the Cutie Mark Crusaders were in, especially when Diamond Tiara would not let them quit. I knew all of Ponyvillewas going to be very angry with them, I was concerned about the Mane Six. I can understand Rarity being disappointed in their actions. I can even understand Fluttershy being too upset to see anyone. As much as I like Pinkie Pie, I was really glad she didn't show up for the rest of the episode after she reluctantly admitted that her story of being a wild party animal was true and probably went into hiding somewhere until she felt sure that the fiasco was all over. For Twilight and Applejack, I don't want to talk about. But Rainbow Dash, how horrid! Maybe for the first time when she made it rain on the CMC, it would be understood if she was trying to make them wake up to reality. But the second time, it almost seemed like that she was trying to drown them! I know she was upset, but that almost looked like child cruelty! Even though she showed her forgiveness by kicking the rain cloud away from the CMC after they showed that their column contained a picture of themselves instead of the other citizens, this does not save the episode. What bothered me even further is how long the CMC stayed in their clubhouse after Big Mac angrily told them to leave him and Applejack alone. I know this has nothing to do with the episode, but where did they sleep? Did they eat any dinner? Another thing that worried me was near the end when the CMC turned in something that Diamond Tiara was expecting. I know she found out later on when everyone began to read the letter of apology (which didn't excite me one bit at all), but if she had found out early on instead of rushing it into the printing press, I think the CMC would've been doomed to wander the world on their own forever. I know that some of the Mane Six were extremely upset, but instead of going overboard, I think they should've stopped the CMC early on after finding out and scolding them a bit. Just because someone punishes someone else for something wrong doesn't make you better than anyone else. I can understand the rest of the town having nothing to do with them for awhile, but the Mane Six (except for probably Rarity, Pinkie Pie, who was absent for some reason, and Fluttershy, I understand about), that's the reason why I'm never watching this episode again. From thinking about the episode, it felt like being punished by your parents for no reason at all and not explaining to you what's going on, and the way some of the Mane Six acted was so disgraceful. I know the CMC made a mistake, but that's no excuse for everyone to stay mad at them for a very long time, especially for some of the Mane Six, which reflects a bad image on them. I mean, the CMC probably had no idea of how gossip works. And even though I'm avoiding this episode, it has bugged me for the past two months, no matter how hard I try to think of something else. In my personal opinion, the last half of the episode either should be re-done or the whole episode be pulled from the airwaves.

tigerdude22

[28]Jun 10, 2012
    • level: 43
    That_TV_Dude wrote:

I also was not crazy about Owl's Well that Ends Well. For a first Spike episode it was so poorly executed and left so much to be desired. Up until when we meet the owl the episode was great. I hated that stupid owl so much and was a complete waste of a character. I hated how Twilight and the others showed more praise for the owl than Spike even though Spike did more work than the owl. I also hated how hypocritical the ponies were about Spike and how they showed little concern for Spike's jealousy. I really despised Twilight's attitude to Spike and shouldn't have acted like that towards Spike at all. She was also hypocritical as well in this episode saying Spike will never be replaced, but yet lets the owl take Spike's job. Even her apology at the end of the episode was terrible and it seemed she wasn't truly sorry at all for what she did. It's why I hope in a future episode, Twilight gets a very harsh lesson about using others like Spike and not showing them the same love as her friends. I hope to never see that stupid owl again and he just simply goes away forever. Aside from some funny moments, it couldn't save this episode at all from being my second worst episode of season 1 of this show. Honestly this episode was terrible and the next time there's a Spike episode, Spike be treated better than in this episode, he deserves a better episode than this.

I'm sorry That_TV_Dude, I'm a little confused... you concluded in this comment of yours that this episode was TERRIBLE but when I read your review, you rated it an 8.5 out of 10 meaning that it's great. Excuse me if I pointed that out my friend.

DavidLe2

[29]Jul 6, 2012
    • level: 1

Every Cutie Mark Crusader Episode

Just No.

That_TV_Dude

[30]Jul 6, 2012

I've been meaning to update my review on that episode as well as Mare Do Well

EmberDP

[31]Aug 16, 2012
    • level: 13
    Lesson Zero, or just about any of the episodes where the ponies go crazy (like Party of One) but mostly Lesson Zero or the episodes with DIscord.

cheese1994

[32]Oct 16, 2012
    • level: 19

The Parasprite episode.

Mlpfimrulzcool

[33]Dec 16, 2012

Mysterious mare do well is my least favorite episode

That_TV_Dude

[34]Dec 22, 2012

Mlpfimrulzcool wrote:

Mysterious mare do well is my least favorite episode

You're not alone on that one.

Pokemon1993Grl

[35]Mar 14, 2013

My least favorite episode is "Ponyville Confidental," because of the way the CMCs were treated after everyone found out they were Gabby Gums...and Diamond Tiara was more annoying than usual.

TheNamelessOne

[36]Apr 21, 2013
    • level: 1

Spongedude12 wrote:

Fall Weather Friends

I don't know why, but this episode just bored me to death. Something about this episode just wasn't grabbing me. I mean, I like Rainbow Dash and Applejack, they're just not my favorite characters.I actually quit through watching it twice. I still need to finish it, but for now, I'm trying to steer clear from it.

I think AJ is best pony, with RD second out of the Mane Six, but Dashie was just a complete flankhole in this episode.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure 75% of the fanbase will agree with me when I say The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well is the worst FiM episode.

DKC2

[38]Sep 23, 2013
    I hate all the episodes, because it doesn't make sense to like a show for little girls. I also believe it's brainwashing everyone .

silverfoxy8472

[39]Sep 23, 2013
    • level: 14

I have two personally number one Magical mystery cure while to a certain extent good episode TOOOOO MUCH SINGING!!!! number two keep calm and flutter on Discord joins the EVER GROWING list of villains with a heart or with a noble cause(pegasus from yu-gi-oh!)

finnysohr

[40]Sep 29, 2013

The worst episode is that damn christmas play one.