My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

Magic Duel

Aired Saturday 10:30 AM Dec 01, 2012 on The Hub

• Holy crap

this episode was so crule to almost all the ponies. the mayor put in a cage, pinkie pies no mouth and snips and snails becomeing slaves by pulling a big bed. but fluttershy is so cute and adorible, but i cant give this ep a perfect ten.
  • One of the best yet!

After being absent through all of season 2, the Great and Powerful Trixie returns to Ponyville for revenge. We've all been waiting for this and wanted to see her again. So how does her new episode hold up? It all starts with a hooded pony going into a shop and buying a necklace that can give the user the powers of an alicorn. Meanwhile, in Ponyville, Twilight, Spike, and Fluttershy are going over entertainment acts for some diplomats from Saddle Arabia. Rainbow though comes and tells the others to hurry towards town. When the others get there, the hooded figure is using magic to torture other ponies. The figure then reveals herself to be Trixie and looks menacing. She wants to duel Twilight and the loser is forced to leave Ponyville forever. Twilight agrees so she can save her friends. Trixie's magic though proves to be too much and Twilight is forced out of town and to make matters worse, Trixie seals off the town by placing a dome over it. Twilight retreats to Zecora's place and she agrees to teach Twilight how to best Trixie again. Back in Ponyville, Trixie rules with an iron fist and all of Twilight's friends go to the library to find out how to beat her. Fluttershy finds a book that explain about Trixie's amulet. It says whoever wears it, the more the amulet is used, the more corrupted the user becomes. The group comes up with a plan to smuggle Fluttershy out by using her beavers to get out of town. The plan works and Twilight learns about what's really going on with Trixie and decides to return to Ponyville. Trixie comes by and Twilight challenges her to a duel because she has a new amulet that gives her more power than what Trixie is wearing. Trixie accepts and uses the same tactics she used the last time. Twilight though outmatches her and she is eventually made the winner. Twilight explains that her amulet was really a doorknob and that she used some tricks of her own like making Big Macintosh to be Applejack turned into a stallion and so on. Twilight is welcomed back and she goes on to entertain the representatives from Saddle Arabia. Trixie makes one last appearance and actually apologizes for what she did and asks for forgiveness. Twilight agrees and Trixie vows to start a new life as being good. The episode ends with Pinkie still missing her mouth and Twilight gives it back, but as Pinkie is about to speak, the credits roll. This was easily one of my all time favorite episodes of the season. Trixie's spells were really cool and I loved how she made Pinkie's mouth disappear like dragging a computer mouse icon towards a digital trashcan. The action scenes were great and loved every bit of it. I especially loved Zecora in this, she acted like Yoda and her training was similar to that from The Empire Strikes Back. What I love the most though is that Trixie actually learns her lesson and actually becomes nice now. It's great to see her no longer walking a dark path. All in all, excellent action scenes, great laughs all around, and Trixie starting to reformed makes this one of my favorite episodes and a must see.

FINAL SCORE: 10/10
  • What The Hell Did I Just Watch?

Trixie makes a return appearance in this show and holy crap was it a very poorly written episode. BY FAR the worst episode I have ever seen. FORGET the worst Season 1 episode "Sonic Rainboom". FORGET the worst Season 2 episode "Secret of My Excess". This Season 3 episode definitely beats both of those episodes for worst episode ever as of right now. I didn't like Trixie back in that Season 1 episode which I thought was good/alright but nothing great. Trixie proves to be the weakest antagonist of this show... I could never take her seriously as a villain plus this show uses cliches which is something we have so many damn times in terms of some of the lines they say, the things they do, and the whole "If you win this... blah... but if you lose then you blah blah blah FOREVER". Come on people, you have to admit that is something we hear a bunch of times in both television and movies. I laughed at Fluttershy being afraid to go to the rain forest, Pinkie Pie not having her mouth for the majority of the episode, Pinkie Pie playing of the instruments at once (I BELIEVE it's a callback from my all-time favorite episode "A Friend In Deed"), Pinkie Pie getting her mouth back at the very ending of the episode, and that's it. The episode just bored me, it was uninteresting, poorly executed, and it really disappointed me since I'm a huge fan of this show. Then again, the episode was about the return to the weakest antagonist of the show Trixie so I kinda saw this coming. It's nothing but cliches, awful executions, bad villain, and poorly done storyline indeed. Trixie being good in the end is fine I guess but it really doesn't make up for what I have just watched. Worst Episode Of The Series So Far Indeed... I would just stay away from this episode, there's WAY better episodes than this one definitely everyone. 4/10
  • Magic Duel

Trixie is back and with style.

Now Twilight must face Trixie who has an Alicorn Amulet.

Here is something for all Trixie fanboys.

20 minutes of lighthearted entertainment.
  • Throwback

So many aspects of the past popped back up in this episode. It was a pleasant surprise. Not nearly as heavy-handed as last week's episode, either, which was wonderful. I wish there could have been a little more time spent with Twilight training in the forest with Zacora. Wonderful to see the zebra back again. For a moment I thought they were going to fend her off with the elements of harmony, and was very relieved when they did not. I loved the ongoing outrage over Pinkie lacking a mouth and the whole bit of switcheroo played with Twilight's not-magic. Also, the delegate ponies were beautiful! Hope we see more like them in the future.
  • Trixie finally returns but with a poorly written episode! :(

I love MLP but frankly, this was the worst episode ever. I was happy to see Trixie was back only to be disappointed by an episode that seems to disregard everything that has so far been written into the show.