My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

Ponyville Confidential

Aired Saturday 10:30 AM Mar 31, 2012 on The Hub

• Not exactly the best CMC episode.

I hate to say it, but out of all the Cutie Mark Crusader based episodes this series has had this has got to be the weakest one of them all. The story begins with Applebloom bringing a school newspaper to Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo. The two fillies use the paper to make a paper boat, packaging material, and to build a bird's nest. After they confront Applebloom again, the two friends learn she wants them to get on the school paper to get their cutie marks. The next day, the CMC stay behind to become part of the school paper, but learn Diamond Tiara is the editor of the paper. The CMC is tasked with getting a scoop for the paper, but every article they bring makes Diamond unhappy. The CMC then discover Snips and Snails having gum on their flanks and get a picture of it thanks to Featherweight. Diamond is happy with the results of the article and finds out the CMC is calling themselves Gabby Gums since they can't fit their names into the newspaper. Diamond orders the CMC to get more gossip and they gladly do. However as time goes on, the CMC feel a little guilty about how hurtful the articles are making the other ponies. Eventually Rarity finds out about Sweetie Belle and her friends being Gabby Gums after an article about her and her diary is produced and the diary is found in Sweetie's saddlebag and scolds her for it. The CMC decide to quit, but when Diamond has blackmail on the three fillies they have no choice but to continue doing so. Diamond gives the CMC until tomorrow for a Gabby Gums article or else she'll print the blackmail picrutes for the paper. Across Ponyville, everypony turns against the CMC and shuts them out of their lives and the CMC contemplate on what to do. The next day, the CMC bring about an article for Gabby Gums making Diamond happy once more. However, Diamond reads the paper and discovers that the article is an apology from the CMC telling all of Ponyville they're sorry for what they did, that they should've respected everypony's privacy, and ask for their forgiveness. The town and the Mane 6 eventually forgive the CMC for their actions. Cheerilee then comes down to where the paper is being produced and takes Diamond off as editor and replaces her with Featherweight. The episode ends with Diamond getting ink on her as the newspaper staff laughs at her. This episode while good, has a lot of issues to it. Don't get me wrong I like what they're teaching about privacy and gossip being awful, but this could've been a little better. Granted I did love how the CMC interacted in this episode and I thought they had some good character development in this episode. The moments with Pinkie Pie were great and funny especially with her article. Some of the articles were hilarious as well; especially the Mayor's article. There are three main problems with this episode though. One, Rarity was a hypocrite in this episode completely. Up until the article about her, Rarity was okay with the gossip and was just contradicting herself with how she acted. Now granted she did try to teach Sweetie about privacy and acted a bit like a parent to her. Two, everypony was just way too harsh on the CMC. I understand the citizens being angry and the Mane 6 as well, but this was just downright mean and heartless. The Mane 6 didn't let the CMC explain their actions at all and didn't even talk to them; even Applejack and Big Macintosh were beyond harsh and cruel. If they just talked to the CMC episode about what they did was wrong then I'd accept it, but not this really. Three, Diamond Tiara got off WAY too easy in this episode for punishment. She doesn't get a real comeuppance at the end and I think that's unfair. I mean the CMC suffered far worse than her so called punishment. She was the one behind this whole thing and she didn't get a proper just desserts ending. Personally I wanted to see Diamond get an embarrassing article printed about her; that would've been really good. This though, she got off too easy and I think it's unfair that the one behind it all doesn't get a proper punishment while the CMC get the full blunt of the harshness. Overall, it does have its great moments in it and the moral is nice, but this episode really could've been a little better than this and it's certainly not the best CMC episode.

FINAL SCORE: 6.5/10