My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

Sleepless in Ponyville

Aired Saturday 10:30 AM Dec 08, 2012 on The Hub

• An excellent Scootaloo episode.

Out of all the Cutie Mark Crusaders, Scootaloo is the only one who hasn't gotten an episode. That all changes now with this episode. So how does her first episode hold up? It all starts with Scootaloo doing some fancy tricks on her scooter and is shocked to hear Rainbow Dash, her idol, say she was awesome at doing those tricks. We then cut to the CMC Clubhouse and learn that Applebloom and Applejack are going camping this weekend to head for Winsom Falls. She suggests that she'll get Rainbow to come with since Scootaloo wants to show how awesome she is and be like her. Sweetie Belle even gets Rarity involved and together they all head into the woods. Later that night, Rainbow decides to tell some scary stories to the CMC and her friends. While the others get scared, Scootaloo plays it off and says she's not scared. In reality though, Scootaloo doesn't want to think she's a coward in Rainbow's eyes and would reject being like a sister to her. Scootaloo soon starts having nightmares of the scary stories and refuses to go to sleep in fear she'll relive the nightmares again and again. The next day, Scootaloo is a nervous wreck and is really jumpy, but still won't admit to her fears. In an attempt to get to the falls before nightfall, Scootaloo attempts to go ahead and find it, but it's all for naught. Night soon falls and the group decides to stay in a cave for the night. Rainbow decides to tell a story again, but Scootaloo is so nervous she doesn't want to be scared even more. Rainbow tells the story and it leaves Scootaloo petrified with terror, but still doesn't want to spill the beans. After some convincing from the others and a campfire song by Sweetie, Scootaloo finally goes to sleep again only to have more nightmares. Just as the monster in her nightmare is about to get her, Princess Luna suddenly appears and lets Scootaloo know it's only a dream. She does warn Scootaloo that she must face her true fear, being rejected by Rainbow, in order for the nightmares to stop. Scootaloo wakes up and starts hearing a horse whinnying and believes it's the Headless Horse, but it's actually Rainbow snoring. Scootaloo runs out of the cave on her scooter and heads into a river. She goes over the waterfall, but Rainbow suddenly comes in to save her. Rainbow sets Scootaloo down on a patch of land and demands Scootaloo to tell her what she was doing. Scootaloo then sees Princess Luna's face in the moon and she tells her to face her fears. Scootaloo breaks down and lets Rainbow know she was scared and didn't want to disappoint her since she wanted to be taken under Rainbow's wing. Rainbow then lets Scootaloo know that when she was a filly, she was scared of those stories as well, but got over it because she knew they weren't real and that a headless horse couldn't beat her. Rainbow then decides to take Scootaloo under her wing and teach her everything she knows. The next day, the group all go to the falls and they all race to the observation platform of the falls. Rainbow helps Scootaloo in racing towards the falls and both go up where the falls begin. Scootaloo has one last dream with the one pony looking for her rust horseshoe. Rainbow though shows up and gives the horseshoe to her. Our episode ends with Princess Luna showing up one more time and winking at Scootaloo. This was an all around sweet and touching episode. I really liked the part of Scootaloo driving on her scooter and sleeping at the same time. Sweetie Belle's campfire song was funny and cute as well. Princess Luna appearing in the episode and helping Scootaloo was really awesome and it's good to see more of her. What I really like about the episode is that it had a lot of tender moments between the siblings of the CMC with their little sisters. It was particularly sweet to see Rainbow and Scootaloo have some tender moments as well. My only problem is that we don't get to see Scootaloo's parents. I was really hoping we could finally see what they looked like, but we don't get to see them at all. Aside from that though, this was a sweet and tender episode with some good laughs all around. For Scootaloo's first episode, I would really suggest seeing it.

FINAL SCORE: 9.5/10