My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

The Crystal Empire - Part 2

Aired Saturday 10:30 AM Nov 10, 2012 on The Hub

7.9
  • Biggest Surprise In Animation For Awhile

MLP:FiM is one the biggest surprises to hit animation in a long time and I am glad to being able to review it. It has more character depth and character plots then shows made for more mature audiences. This isn't some little kids show, but a show that anyone can really get into and enjoy, once you get past the cute colorful ponies. I hope that is clear to you, and that I have come into this series with a blank state and open mind. I come here to review for television quality, and this show does just that in a bright, shiny, happy package.

Hope you read part one of my review for the first part of the two episode season premier. If not, go check it out.

So we enter part two of the episode and King Sombra takes hold of the Chrystal Empire in his odd dark ghostly form. Twilight and Spike go on a "mini" quest that reveals their darkest fears, in a scene I would say was very well done, and done tastefully. Without giving too many spoilers, the writers answered questions that fans had long wanted, as well as questioned by fan made material.

Twilight in the closing moments has to deal with failure and self sacrifice and choosing what is right, as an unexpected hero comes from it all. Beef number two from me, was the unexpected hero, didn't get much respect for their work by anyone nor the leaders of Equestria. They kind of got shafted when it came to thank you's.

The characters all interacted well, and the vocals in the singing segments were terrific. I was highly impressed at the talent in the music and the voice acting. It would be epic to see this show with quality for a theatrical movie with shading and such. A ton of character development as we see characters interact. We see a more aggressive Rainbow Dash, a level headed Applejack in times or trouble, and the darkest fears realized by Twilight and Spike. There are some good laughter bits in part one, but also some darker tenser moments. This episode deviates slightly from the constant happiness shown in this show, because there are darker moments, and not always happy characters, which I was slightly taken aback by.

The animation from season 2 is greatly improved in season 3, which I didn't think they could do! It was already so good. It was fluid and smooth. There were many great expressions which they dominated at in this entire episode.

I picked up the show used a faster paced humor, more random, and some more adult gags, as if the writers were embracing their adult fanbase. I would say kids could still enjoy it, including the three great musical numbers where were really well done. Some kids might find the bad guys scenes a little scary, but nothing worse then a Disney bad guy.

Overall part two was a great episode, and I was pleased to watch it. I enjoyed part two better then part one, because at times I was underwhelmed with part ones pacing. But this second half did a good job bringing action and a conclusion that left many things to still be answered for future episodes. There also seems to be an overarching subplot going on here with Twilight and what she will become . . . but we will see. Part two beats part one.

MLP:FiM is one the biggest surprises to hit animation in a long time and I am glad to being able to review it. It has more character depth and character plots then shows made for more mature audiences. This isn't some little kids show, but a show that anyone can really get into and enjoy, once you get past the cute colorful ponies. I'm thinking development similar to animation hits like "Avatar: The Last Airbender," but if I saw that too much, I will be laughed out of television reviewing.

Great episode, and look forward to reviewing more from this series. Again, I am truly impressed.