My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

Wonderbolts Academy

Aired Saturday 10:30 AM Dec 15, 2012 on The Hub

• A superb episode for Rainbow Dash.

Well I was happy with the results of this episode. Rainbow Dash isn't a complete jerk like she was in her season 2 episodes and she wasn't OOC like she was throughout most of that season as well. The new pegasus, Lightning Dust, reminds me of Gilda for some reason. I don't know what it is, but Lightning seems to be almost like Gilda. She's almost got the same attitude as her and the competitive nature of Rainbow rolled into one pony. I was also happy to see Snowflake, Thunderlane, and Cloudchaser all appear again in this episode.

Spitfire, I have mixed feelings for in this episode. I know she's training the cadets, but the way she acts kind of rubs me the wrong way. She isn't bad or anything, it's just she's a little too different to me. Not to mention her voice is a little off. She barely sounds like herself in Best Night Ever and Hurricane Fluttershy. I don't know whether the VA for her wasn't available or not. And I guess you can argue they were going for a commanding military type voice, but she still sounds a little masculine to me.

The jokes were kind of played down in this episode, but the few that were in it like Pinkie waiting for Rainbow Dash's letter(there's going to be a LOT of RainbowPie pictures and stories coming out of this episode as well as SpitDash and LightningDash) were pretty funny.

My other complaint with this episode, aside from how Spitfire sounded, was that Soarin wasn't in this episode at all. Why? A Wonderbolts episode wouldn't have been complete without him after all. This was a golden opportunity and they never being him in at all. It's sad to see that he was left out of the episode. I guess the VA wasn't available or something, but it's still sad to see he wasn't in it.

Now what surprised me the most was who the writer of this episode is.

Merriwether Williams

She's got a very bad reputation when it comes to writing Rainbow Dash, whether she's the main character or not. She always writes her as a jerk to everypony and makes her unbearable. I was surprised that not only was Merriwether given another Rainbow Dash episode, but this time she writes Rainbow Dash in a very good way. She doesn't make her a jerk this time, or a stuck up pony who becomes irritating. No, this time she's not written badly. Which makes me wonder why she didn't do this in The Mysterious Mare Do Well, an episode we all know as one of the most infamous episodes ever made. So I have to give props to Merriwether for actually making a good Rainbow Dash episode.

Overall, some good jokes, a good moral, and the return of the Wonderbolts makes this episode really great. Aside from some flaws, I enjoyed this episode a lot and it's one of my favorite Rainbow based episodes.

FINAL SCORE: 9/10