My Mother the Car

NBC (ended 1966)

My Mother the Car Fan Reviews (9)

• Summed up perfectly in a Get Smart episode

At the end of a Get Smart episode, Max had shot the bad guy. He rushed over to the wounded man and told him an ambulance was on the way. The man said, "Don't bother. I'm a goner. Just do me one favor before I go". Max asked what the favor was and the man said, "Tell me My Mother the Car is coming back on TV". Max looked confused and asked why. The man replied, "Then I won't mind going so much".

That said, I was about 10 years old when it was on, and I liked it. But I was the only one in a family of 6 who did, and we only had one TV.
  • What's the difference

Been watching the first 7 episodes on Hulu. I don't think it's a bad show in context. Mr Ed a talking Horse My favorite Martian a Martian I dream of Jeanie Bewitched, what's the difference. It was kind of successful with the younger set. In the context of the type of show it was it was well done. Martians Talking horses, Jeanies in a bottle. Compared to the stuff they call sitcoms today, this is much better.
  • Undeserving of all the abuse.

I don't know if it's really deserving of the rating I gave it, but I did it to counter the low ratings it does not deserve. Granted, MMTC was not the Citizen Kane of TV sitcoms, but perhaps it was the Three Stooges of sitcoms. It is not intended to be taken seriously. People who deride it so don't seem to be able to grasp that. Compare it with some of the more "sophisticated" sitcoms of today, with plots like a main character accidentally discovering his father doing "the private thing", or discovering that his father has breasts (thus the "Bro-zierre"). Ah! How exquisite!

Give it a little credit. It was mainly for children, which is why it should not be judged by the same standards as, say, The Mary Tyler Moore Show. I believe it would have survived at least another season if the use of demographics as a ratings method had been employed in the 1960s. Advertizers of children's products would have saved the day. Maybe the NBC execs should have rescheduled it to Saturday mornings instead of cancelling it. It represented a time of innocence on TV that seemed to die with the 60s.
  • Pleasantly Surprsed!

I'm watching this series for the first time after hearing for years what a mistake it was that Jerry chose this. As it turns out, I like this show very much and am in tune to the sincerety between husband and wife... and gotta love the dog! And as there have been so many other truly silly shows that "made it", I am amazed what a bad rap this one got. I would think Jerry should be proud of this one, inspite of what others may say. I, for one, am revelling in the watching of every single episode, in order, and wish I could relay to Mr. Van Dyke himself, what a pleasure it is to watch him with this truly enjoyable cast, in this surprisingly pleasurable series. Also, I should mention that considering it was one of the very last parts that Maggie Pierce (Barbara Crabtree) played in, I am very glad to have been introduced to her in a role that played so well off of, and along with, Jerry Van Dyke The two played husband and wife as well as Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore ever did. The chemistry was definitely there. Add the precious pooch, the cute & talented kids, the awesome car (the vehicle, as well as Ann Southern), along with the fun guest casts, and you've got yourself what SHOULD HAVE been a hit, and what I believe would have been a hit at any other time. In my opinion, this series is a definite thumbs UP and benefit to the library of television series everywhere!
  • Perhaps this show was so ahead of it's time, no one got it. Let's see what other show had a talking car, oh yes his name was KIT.

I actually remember My Mother The Car, when it came out. I was about 12 years old. The shows premise a guys mother's spirit comes back in an antique car to look after him was actually quite interesting, and the fact that the car spoke was a bit like "Mr Ed" which I also liked at the time. Now you have to remember this was 1966 and people were no where as sophisticated as they are now (am I kidding myself) so the Idea of a woman's spirit inhabiting a car was just over people's heads. Now, we have Ghost Whisper and Jericho and Heroe's and back them we had I Love Lucy, The Beverly Hillbilly's, Ed Sullivan, Jackie Gleason, TV was very different. I defend the show and the concept, for the time it was quite good. And besides the next show to portray a talking car became a sensation and a very popular show, Knight Rider.
  • Ahead of it's time...good, clean escapist entertainment!

I just finished watching all 30 episodes and I can truthfully tell you that the show was definately ahead of it's time! Anyone remember Knight Rider? A talking car is not the most outrageous "gimmick" for a show! I mean, don't most people anthropomorphize their cars anyway? Since this show aired, there have been MANY "worst" about "Real Houswives of New Jersey, Atlanta, ad nauseum"? And, of course, a modern show that gets critical raves is not funny at all in my opinion, The Office is the absolute WORST show on TV! It's not funny and not enjoyable to watch. I can see myself watching "My Mother the Car" over and over!! And talk about a catchy theme song! Jerry Van Dyke did an outstanding job!! LOVED IT!!
  • This show deserves to go to the hell for the truly bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad TV shows.

"My Mother the Car" is about a man who finds the sprit of his dead mother in this car. Sounds like an o.k. premise for a sitcom. But, this show takes a simple premise puts in very obvious jokes that even if you put in 50 monkeys in a room and told them to come up with a show.They won't even come close to coming up with this disater. This show suffers from the fact that its so stupid.

"My Mother the Car" deserves its place on T.V. Guide's controversial list of the worst shows ever made. Its that bad. Its a good thing that this isn't on DVD or Video.

This deserves a very high place in my personal top ten of the worst shows I've ever seen.
  • Worst Ever? No Way!

My Mother The Car has been called the worst sitcom of all time. TVGuide called it the 2nd worst show ever! Well,I'm here to tell you that it wasn't even the lousiest sitcom of the 1965-66 season. (O.K. Crackerby takes that honor; Mona McCluskey a close second.) Sure,it was a dumb concept. But was it any more ridiculous than My Favorite Martian or The Flying Nun? Hardly. It's the stupid name of this show that is responsible for all the ridicule it receives;but then the name is also the reason anyone remembers MMTC at all.
  • Who rated this show an 8.3?

Wow. This premise of this show is disturbing beyond belief. You mean they didnt try a spin off - My Father the Pickup Truck? They could have used that old beater truck from Sanford and Son. Oh yeah, to come up with a concept like this you have to have a few screws loose or bats in the belfry. Probably came from the same warped mind that created Herbie The Love Bug - The people who remade that abomination will likely resurrect My Mother The Car next!!!! Ughhhh! Please NO! After an endless line of old TV series turned into godawful star vehicles for the like of Wil Farrell and Jessica Simpson, thats the last thing the world needs!