My Mother the Car

NBC (ended 1966)

jaynashvil

My Mother the Car Fan Reviews (9)

7.8
  • Undeserving of all the abuse.

I don't know if it's really deserving of the rating I gave it, but I did it to counter the low ratings it does not deserve. Granted, MMTC was not the Citizen Kane of TV sitcoms, but perhaps it was the Three Stooges of sitcoms. It is not intended to be taken seriously. People who deride it so don't seem to be able to grasp that. Compare it with some of the more "sophisticated" sitcoms of today, with plots like a main character accidentally discovering his father doing "the private thing", or discovering that his father has breasts (thus the "Bro-zierre"). Ah! How exquisite!

Give it a little credit. It was mainly for children, which is why it should not be judged by the same standards as, say, The Mary Tyler Moore Show. I believe it would have survived at least another season if the use of demographics as a ratings method had been employed in the 1960s. Advertizers of children's products would have saved the day. Maybe the NBC execs should have rescheduled it to Saturday mornings instead of cancelling it. It represented a time of innocence on TV that seemed to die with the 60s.