My Name Is Earl

Bad Earl

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Jan 10, 2008 on NBC

• In an effort to extend the season due to the WGA strike, NBC showed this Christmas episode in January. Guess what? Totally worth the wait.

When we last saw Earl, it had become quite evident that he was slowly slipping away from the do-gooder we'd come to know. And when Earl realizes that a good deed got him in jail, more good deeds got him in the hole, and a bad deed got him out, he had every reason to turn to the dark side, especially after discovering how good Ralph had it.

Needless to say, it was interesting seeing Bad Earl back, but like Earl's friends, we expect that from the rest of the crew, not Earl.

Having Tim Stack at Earl's "inter-invention" was a stroke of genius, as those of us loyal Earl viewers will remember that Tim was scheduled to appear on a certain A&E show. And the words that were spoken at the intervention demonstrate that character development of the rest of the cast over the past two and a half years.

In the end, we're left with a cliffhanger, as Karma decides to punish Earl the best way she knows how. If the season has to end here (which it looks like it will), it's not a bad way to end it.