My Name Is Earl Forums

NBC (ended 2009)

my name is earl location

wrightmc

[1]Sep 21, 2005
    • level: 4
    Does anyone know where my name is earl is supposed to take place? I saw the camden county school bus, I was wondering if it was new jersey?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Brak001

[2]Sep 21, 2005
    • level: 9
    i didnt notice the school bus, but i dont think New Jersey would make sense for a location. Could've been a blooper

ZugZug4

[3]Sep 21, 2005
    • level: 34
    "This sucks. I'm going back to Jersey."

I love Kevin Smith and Dogma.

FishFarm

[4]Sep 23, 2005
    Most likely NJ. But Camden County, Missouri and Camden County, Georgia are in the running too ;-).

crazyrhythm

[5]Sep 23, 2005
    • level: 52
    Anytown,USA.

bbdunnem

[6]Sep 23, 2005
    • level: 6
    The pilot was shot in Beaumont, California--the local paper wrote an article about it here: http://www.recordgazette.net/articles/2005/03/17/news/02news.prt

Makes sense for it to take place on the West Coast since Joy was able to drive Earl to Vegas for their quickie wedding.

HelloStuart

[7]Sep 28, 2005
    • level: 63
    bbdunnem wrote:
    The pilot was shot in Beaumont, California--the local paper wrote an article about it here: http://www.recordgazette.net/articles/2005/03/17/news/02news.prt

Makes sense for it to take place on the West Coast since Joy was able to drive Earl to Vegas for their quickie wedding.

I was going to say SoCal too.

jenfine

[8]Sep 28, 2005
    • level: 3
    I was thinking a southern state like Texas because it seems like some of the characters have slight southern accents. Anyone else notice this? I'm particularly thinking of Earl and his ex-wife Joy.

kgtheway2b

[9]Sep 29, 2005
    • level: 1
    Hello all, I just wanted to let you guys all know that Earl was defenetly filmed in Southern California... The reason I know this is because they did part of the filming of the second episode at my neighborhood!
    Donny's House is ours! (Though they used a different home for the inside)
    If you watch the episode carefully you'll notice that the little video of the grandma walking before the video will, that is our true inside.
    The garage sale where Earl's bro buys the casette tape is our next door neighbor's yard and the fence where Earl is shot at by his ex-wife is just down the street.
    Oh almost forgot, and when Donny beats the crap out of the newspaper kid, that's about 10 houses away from us!
    We live in the San Fernando Valley and the producers were just walking around on the sidewalks and we talked to them a while back and it turned out they were looking a neighborhood like ours. Hey if anyone wants some pictures I'll send 'em on over... eventually. Just send me on over an email my address is 122334@REMOVEgmail.com just remove the "REMOVE"
    That's all for now folks
    Later,
    -kgtheway2B

bbdunnem

[10]Sep 29, 2005
    jenfine wrote:
    I was thinking a southern state like Texas because it seems like some of the characters have slight southern accents. Anyone else notice this? I'm particularly thinking of Earl and his ex-wife Joy.

There's definitely a southern twang there, but I think they may be trying to be ambiguous about the location on purpose--I noticed that Earl's winning lottery ticket says "State Lottery" without identifying the state.

Im2Crazy4U

[11]Oct 24, 2005
    • level: 51
    I love this .. so it was filmed in SoCal, therefore it must take place in SoCal?!

Bah, being from Canada I can tell you many movies that take place in Chicago are actually filmed in Toronto. So that doesn't fly for me.

However, it does have to be close to Vegas so that she could get him married quickly, while still drunk. But then again, she could have kept feeding him beers from where ever they came from until they got to Vegas. That could have been days, as some alkies can attest to the fact that you can lose days while drunk, not just hours.

But then, does it really matter where it takes place?

bbdunnem

[12]Oct 25, 2005
    Im2Crazy4U wrote:

Nah--it's Everytown, U.S.A.--that's what makes this show work.

mytzplyz

[13]Oct 25, 2005
    Im2Crazy4U wrote:
    However, it does have to be close to Vegas so that she could get him married quickly, while still drunk. But then again, she could have kept feeding him beers from where ever they came from until they got to Vegas. That could have been days, as some alkies can attest to the fact that you can lose days while drunk, not just hours.

I agree with bbdunnem that it represents "Everytown, USA" -- but, just as a footnote to what actually occurred in the pilot:

In the pilot, Earl says Joy got him drunk THAT night, and drove off to Vegas. He then says THE NEXT MORNING he woke up married.

So.....it didn't take days with Joy keeping him drunk the whole time.

And while I know you used Alkies only as an "example" of losing days, Earl is not represented as an Alkie (a drinker, yes), and most people who aren't Alkies don't run around losing days at a time -- even though it could happen.

But again -- wherever its takes place doesn't really matter because its definitely meant to be representative.

Im2Crazy4U

[14]Oct 25, 2005
    mytzplyz wrote:
    And while I know you used Alkies only as an "example" of losing days, Earl is not represented as an Alkie (a drinker, yes), and most people who aren't Alkies don't run around losing days at a time -- even though it could happen.

Thanks for the clarification on the timeline. I didn't remember that.

I've read a feqw places that alcoholism is defined as drinking more than 12 drinks in a weeks and more than 2 on any given night. There is a more refined definition out there, but I think Randy and Earl are alcoholics.

They may not be fall down drunks, but they do drink too much. That makes them alcoholics in my books.

HUGGIESJOB

[15]Oct 25, 2005
    • level: 7
    im2crazy4you that is absolute tosh an alcholicis someone who cant stop drinking thinks about drink all the time and lets thee life be controlled by this addiction two drinks a day big whoop i could do twelve in one night with out feeling to pissed and not have another for as long as i wanted that comment is ridiculous even more so than my grammer and spelling NO OFFENSE

Im2Crazy4U

[16]Oct 26, 2005
    First, I'm glad you acknowledge your poor grammar and spelling, now I can ignore it (one time only).

As for whether or not you get drunk drinking is not the point of being or not being an alcoholic. If you come home from work every day and have two beers, then have a "few" on the weekend, I'm sorry to tell you that you're an alcoholic.

In it's simpliest terms, if you drink out of habit you are also an alcoholic as long as you drink "enough". "Enough" has been defined by many agencies as 12 or more drinks in a week and 2 or more beers each day.

If I only smoked one ciggy a day, I'm just as hooked as the guy sporting a 2 pack a day habit. That's the nature of addiction.

However, I think we're fully off topic now since this is supposed to be about where the show takes place. And concensus is that it's "Anytown, USA", but is specifically filmed in Southern California.

rsharich

[17]Oct 27, 2005
    • level: 2
    I've been using the information posted here, and also using Google Earth, but with no luck in finding it... Which motel do they film at?

mytzplyz

[18]Oct 27, 2005
    rsharich wrote:
    I've been using the information posted here, and also using Google Earth, but with no luck in finding it... Which motel do they film at?

First, why do you want to know?

bbdunnem

[19]Oct 27, 2005
    Here's what USA Today has to say about the location:

Earl and his TV clan live in fictional Camden County, a place with the cachet of convenience stores, seedy motels and plenty of rough individuals. The real set offered its own inspiration; before production got up and running, Garcia says, men were sleeping in cars just 20 feet outside the writers' offices.

A nearby motel, used for exterior shots, has a rough feel, good for the kind of place maid Catalina (Nadine Velazquez) says has lost its half-star rating. “It's a functioning dirtbag hotel. It works for our universe,” Suplee says.

horaceholly

[20]Oct 27, 2005
    • level: 3
    I was thinking either southern Cal or Florida, partly because of all the palm trees, and partly because there's a certain hick/prole/loser/COPS flavor about MNIE that can be found only in those places. Je ne sais quoi.

The point about driving to Vegas pretty much clinches it for Cal.