my name is earl location

mytzplyz

[21]Oct 30, 2005
    • level: 4
    mytzplyz wrote:
    rsharich wrote:
    I've been using the information posted here, and also using Google Earth, but with no luck in finding it... Which motel do they film at?

First, why do you want to know?

Since you haven't responded, I won't be more specific than to say that the motel is in North Hills, CA.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

rsharich

[22]Nov 3, 2005
    • level: 2
    I was curious because I am going to be visiting a friend in california. If the motel was within driving distance, thought it would be something interesting to check it out.

Found it! Thanks mytzplyz...

Brak001

[23]Nov 3, 2005
    • level: 9
    you guys are insisting it's SoCal just because they were able to drive to Vegas in a night...What's keeping it from being set in some other part of Nevada?

Im2Crazy4U

[24]Nov 3, 2005
    • level: 51
    I don't think any one is insisting anything. We know it is filmed in SoCal, so that's where that's coming from. And as I said before:

Im2Crazy4U wrote:
    Concensus is that it's "Anytown, USA", but is specifically filmed in Southern California.

mytzplyz

[25]Nov 4, 2005
    • level: 4
    Brak001 wrote:
    you guys are insisting it's SoCal just because they were able to drive to Vegas in a night...What's keeping it from being set in some other part of Nevada?

Uhhhhh.....no one was insisting that the fictional town is in SoCal....we just verified where the actual filming was done.

I am the one who posted about the drive to Las Vegas. If you re-read my post, you will see that I do not mention SoCal, just that they had to be located SOMEwhere near where they could drive to Las Vegas and be married by morning. This, when it was already late at night at the Crab Shack. That could possibly be Nevada, California, Arizona maybe even Southern Utah -- it DOESN'T MATTER.

You will note that I and others including bbdunnem and Im2Crazy4U have all noted that its "Anywhere, USA". In fact, Jason Lee himself said that in the recent interview in TV Guide. So there you have it.

Then rsharich asked which motel they filmed at -- (actually they use two -- one for interiors and one for exteriors). Since my friend is IN the pilot, I happen to know the motel and the town where it was shot. The Crab Shack was there, too. However, in watching the show, it appears that the Crab Shack MAY have changed locations -- it looks a little different than in the pilot, but I could be wrong. The EXTERIOR of the motel, however, has not changed. And the location I provided is where it was FILMED -- doesn't mean that's where it's supposed to BE.

And thanks, Im2Crazy4U for restating this as well.

I WILL say that I saw an article by a newspaper person who should know better, who said the following in her review of the pilot:

"Sure, there are some white trash stereotypes that may raise some hackles, but if Seinfeld could make fun of New Yorkers, why can't a show set in the South have some fun with its own geographical idiosyncrasies? There's a distinction between laughing at someone and laughing with them. This show tries to take the latter tack."

Uhhhhhh.....set in the SOUTH?? Now that WOULD be a long drive. :-) :-) (Footnote: to a "true" Southerner, the South is the Original Southern States. This would not include Texas, for example, which is considered "The West" by most Southerners :-) heh-heh ) And besides, there are people of this type ALL OVER this country -- that's why its popular -- that's why it's ANYWHERE, USA.

Im2Crazy4U

[26]Nov 4, 2005
    mytzplyz wrote:
    And besides, there are people of this type ALL OVER this country -- that's why its popular -- that's why it's ANYWHERE, USA.

Actually there's "white-trash" all over the world. I got me some in my own province. Hell, I got me some in my own extended family.

But you've still got the point.

cl2k4

[27]Nov 8, 2005
    • level: 1
    well actually, i was watching tonights show and they talked a lot about both cumberland and hagerstown. these towns are both in western maryland. i was really suprised by this being as i am from the area, and well, obviously, it looks nothing like where they film. but the whole "crab shack" thing and the redneckyness of the characters all adds up.

DLMSR

[28]Nov 8, 2005
    IT MIGHT BE NEAR MARYLAND, SINCE THEY HAVE MENTIONED HAGERSTOWN AND CUMBERLAND? MAYBE EVEN WV OR PA ALSO SINCE THEY ARE NEARBY ALSO.

PikeBishop

[29]Nov 8, 2005
    • level: 31
    Hagerstown and Cumberland are towns in Maryland, but that geography is soooooo California it is not funny!

stargazer816

[30]Nov 9, 2005
    [This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]

bbdunnem

[31]Nov 9, 2005
    • level: 6
    cl2k4 wrote:
    well actually, i was watching tonights show and they talked a lot about both cumberland and hagerstown. these towns are both in western maryland. i was really suprised by this being as i am from the area, and well, obviously, it looks nothing like where they film. but the whole "crab shack" thing and the redneckyness of the characters all adds up.

But then you've still got the problem of Earl's Las Vegas marriage...

tankrizzo

[32]Nov 9, 2005
    cl2k4 wrote:

Yeah, that popped in my head too, but if it is MD they certainly didn't scout the location at all I'd say it's probably one of those things where they used that type of terrain because it was convenient for the smokey and the bandit burnout ending.

Between the cumberland and hagerstown references + the whole crab shack thing it really makes me think they're trying to gear it towards being in MD. Southern MD is very flat and redneck-ish like the show though.

Who knows, the best we can hope for is more hints or them outright saying. Everything LOOKS southwestish but they keep dropping hints to the contrary. As far as the Vegas angle, it wouldn't be the first time TV show writers contradict it's history and try to act like it never happened.

watchersdrk

[33]Nov 9, 2005
    Being a big fan of Greg Garcia (creator /Producer), i have picked up on a few things he likes to do in his tv shows. He likes to add a little bit of personal infomation about himself into some of his shows. Garcia's other hit show Yes, Dear is based alot about himself. In the show the character Jimmy went to Frostburg State Universtiy. The is the actual college that Greg Garcia went to and gratuated from in 1992. The characters also always talk about being from Maryland and going to Ocean City and other things ...... Garcia actually grew up in Northern Virginia.

Now on Earl, Garcia seems to also be adding some of these same personal touches that he does alot on Yes, Dear. In the golfer episode, Earl gets on a bus to Hagerstown( the town i am acutally from, which is why i know so much about this). Later he talks about going to Cumberland, which is about 70 miles away, and also very near, within 10 miles of Frostburg Maryland (hint- Frostburg State University).

Being from this area i have picked up on alot of this information that other people from other places prolly wouldnt even think twice about. But its one of the things i find so interesting about Garcia's shows.

I might sound like a lunatic or a stalker, but its more sorta like an inside joke you would only get if u lived around here.

tankrizzo

[34]Nov 9, 2005
    watchersdrk wrote:
    I might sound like a lunatic or a stalker, but its more sorta like an inside joke you would only get if u lived around here.

No, I definitley know where you're coming from, I'm from just outside of Annapolis and have family out in Oakland, so I'm familiar w/ all of the places mentioned

ewsername

[35]Nov 9, 2005
    I agree with the location being purposely vague, I'm guessing to get that "Anytown, USA" appeal. On the "I Stole a Beer From a Golfer" episode, Earl, in an attempt to locate his AWOL brother, finds he's on a bus to Hagerstown. Later in the episode, Earl catches up with the Camden County Fair in Cumberland, where he procures the Trans-Am from "Smokey and the Bandit." I realize there are probably many Hagerstowns and Cumberlands throughout the USA, but I live in Hagerstown, Maryland, which is not too far from Cumberland, Maryland. Coincidence? Maybe, but I thought it was cool nevertheless.

ewsername

[36]Nov 9, 2005
    I did not realize Garcia was creeator of Yes, Dear. That would make sense then the references to Hagerstown and Cumberland in last nights episode. I currently live in Hagerstown and I thought it was pretty cool to hear the reference, but realize there are many Hagerstowns in the US. When Earl mentioned Cumberland, it really peaked my curiosity.

pisonjohn

[37]Nov 22, 2005
    Camden County showed up in the last episode. There are 4 Camden Countise in the US. NC, GA, MO, NJ. Just something to think about. I know it's fictional and a very funny show, but it's kinda cool to try and peg it to a place you could really go to.

Im2Crazy4U

[38]Nov 23, 2005
    pisonjohn wrote:
    Camden County showed up in the last episode. There are 4 Camden Countise in the US. NC, GA, MO, NJ.

One more time ... it's a fictional place. The fact that some of the places share names with real places doesn't matter. Springfield is a real town in serveral states. Springfield on The Simpsons isn't any one of them.

pgm223

[39]Nov 24, 2005
    It has got to be in SoCal based on the weather.

I don't care about county names and towns. That can all be put in by Garcia.

It is SoCal

bbdunnem

[40]Nov 24, 2005
    • level: 6
    pisonjohn wrote:
    Camden County showed up in the last episode. There are 4 Camden Countise in the US. NC, GA, MO, NJ. Just something to think about. I know it's fictional and a very funny show, but it's kinda cool to try and peg it to a place you could really go to.

I also enjoy the fun of pinning down Earl's hometown, and I suspect that the show's creators are having fun with it as well by giving us all these red herrings. Their latest twist: even though in previous episodes Earl lived in Camden County, in the last episode it was established that the city was called Camden, too. But Camden can't be the county seat, because the pilot made it clear that Earl lived in a very small town, not "the city."

Oh, heck--it's all goofy, good-natured fun. Let's enjoy it!