My Name Is Earl Forums

NBC (ended 2009)

my name is earl location

alparker23

[41]Nov 29, 2005
    • level: 1
    Earl is actually set in MD, folks. The show's creator, Greg Garcia, went to the tiny state college called Frostburg State University, in western MD. (Its the same school you see on "Yes, Dear" as Garcia also created that show and Mike O'Malley's character Jimmy was written to have attended Frostburg for a semester. He wears FSU apparel and occasionally Redskins apparel as the 'skins training camp was at FSU the summer the show was developed and Garcia grew up just outside of DC. Garcia went to FSU and bought a ton of merchandise for the show when they were shooting the pilot)

Anyway, Cumberland is a small town of about 25,000 that is about 2 minutes from the small town (about 5,000, including students) of Frostburg, where FSU lies. It is the county seat of rural Allegany County and about 1 hour east of the infamous Hagerstown, another small town in the low lying mountains of MD.

Camden County is fictitous and named for Garcia's son, Camden. He has stated this in several interviews. The local bar with the lovely red velour wallpapering is also modeled after a little hole in the wall college bar in Frostburg.

Garcia has been interviewed about the location of Earl and simply says that while camden co. is not real, the locations mentioned and many of the settings you see are all throwbacks to his time in the western maryland mountains. He tries to incorporate frostburg whenever possible and the show is rumored to have earl visiting the campus sometime this season. The only discrepancy is the elevation....this part of MD is in the southern appalachain mountains and on the show it is incredibly flat. But then again, shows are filmed on soundstages, not in the middle of the east coast mountains.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

bbdunnem

[42]Nov 29, 2005
    • level: 6
    Not that it really matters, since Earl's location is really Anwhere, USA, but it can't be Maryland if Joy drove Earl to Las Vegas in one night.

Im2Crazy4U

[43]Nov 30, 2005
    • level: 51
    bbdunnem wrote:
    Not that it really matters, since Earl's location is really Anwhere, USA, but it can't be Maryland if Joy drove Earl to Las Vegas in one night.

Yes this is true, and for the ump-teenth it is filmed in SoCal. Any references to MD is made as an homage to Greg Garcia's past and not to the actual location of the show.

earlfan1974

[44]Dec 5, 2005
    Although it is supposed to be MD, my first guess was somehwere in the Florida Panhandle (or the "Redneck Riviera" as so many southerners call it). The flat location, the crappy hotel Earl stays in, the trailer parks and the accents of the characters all led me to believe it had to be around Panama City. Anyone who has ever visited this part of the country can see the resemblance. So i guess I should be angry that it is set in Maryland but they choose to give the characters southern accents to make them seem more clueless. However, you can't argue with the truth and if I didn't know at least 10 people that live up the the redneck sterotype sometimes portrayed on "Earl" it would upset me. I LOVE this show and it makes me laugh out loud everytime I watch it. Who cares where the location is.

mikehandy

[45]Dec 25, 2005
    I know for sure the motel used in the shooting is the "Hiway Host' on Sepulveda and Roscoe in North Hills. Known for the hookers and the low one hour rates. There use to be a resturant called Mulligans landing specializing in sea food crustation in front of the motel, but was demolished and now a strip mall.

dgonano

[46]Feb 10, 2006
    Don't feel bad. They weren't importing a Florida accent. That's really how people from Western MD talk. The accents are quite authentic. In fact, that is in my mind another argument for a western MD setting. Although clearly the terrain and buildings look nothing like it. And, shall I point out, that last night's episode took place at "Frostburg State University"?

I'm an Eastern Panhandle girl myself, although I grew up near Frederick, which is southeast of Hagerstown and Cumberland. There may be another Hagerstown or Cumberland, and maybe even another Frostburg, but what are the chances of them all being clustered together like that?

By the way, refresh my memory: is it absolutely certain that Joy took Earl to Vegas to get married? I ask because Maryland is another quickie marriage state. In fact, the original quickie marriage state.

lapointegrrrl

[47]Feb 10, 2006
    • level: 3
    Are there palm trees in Maryland?

There are palm trees in the opening sequence and you see them off and on in different episodes.

This is leading me to think it's a warm state (CA) not Maryland.

Plus Earl's car, though beat up, isn't rusted out.

lapointegrrrl

[48]Apr 6, 2006
    From Wikipedia:

Several bits of trivia were made public at a February 2006 event held by the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences[3]:

The show takes place in the fictional town of Camden County. Creator Garcia said that the town is named after his son. The references to Maryland locations (such as Hagerstown and Frostburg State University) are due to his familiarity with an area he hails from, and that "the show doesn’t technically take place anywhere....we like to think it’s anywhere. We don’t really say exactly where it is.", although the accents and lifestyles of many of the characters suggests a southern America setting.

Im2Crazy4U

[49]Apr 7, 2006
    lapointegrrrl wrote:
    "the show doesn’t technically take place anywhere....we like to think it’s anywhere. We don’t really say exactly where it is."

Which is what I've been saying from the start.

jane_doe37

[50]Apr 7, 2006
    • level: 12
    Eh, well, it's still fun.
    I live near Camden County, NJ, and it doesn't look anything like the town on the show. Joy is the only one with a real southern accent, so I would think maybe she grew up in the south and then moved to wherever Earl & Company live. I'm also thinking it's Southern California. Since Catalina's an illegal immigrant, that's where most of them come up into from Mexico. That makes the most sense, even if there is no real town for the show.

kurby123

[51]Apr 8, 2006
    • level: 19
    Hold on for a minute...
    Is My Name is Earl filmed in a studio, or on location?

Im2Crazy4U

[52]Apr 11, 2006
    kurby123 wrote:
    Hold on for a minute...
    Is My Name is Earl filmed in a studio, or on location?

A little from column A and a little from column B.

lapointegrrrl

[53]Apr 11, 2006
    It's shot on location in Southern California.

The hotel actually exists (I believe if you go back in this thread someone mentions where it is), and the trailer park Joy lives in is actually set up in a church parking lot.

pomfern

[54]May 18, 2006
    • level: 2
    my name is earl is just only 30 minutes :S
    And in norway, once a week. That sucks

cosmicgirl8

[55]May 22, 2006
    I live in Beaumont, CA. Some of the filming is done here. The convenience store where Earl bought his lottery ticket and the "auto spa" near where he got hit by the car are both on Pennsylvania Ave right off of I-10. If you look closely, you might notice the freeway in the background. If you are ever in the area, check it out. We are about 30 minutes west of Palm Springs. If going through Beaumont heading westbound, take the Pennsylvania exit, turn right and there it is. If you are heading eastbound on I-10, take the Beaumont Ave exit (Pennsylvania does not have an offramp in the eastbound direction), turn left on Beaumont Ave, right on Sixth st. to Pennsylvania (It's on the right hand side.) The Auto spa is next to the freeway exit and next to that you will find the convenience store on the corner of Sixth st./Pennsylvania. Accross the street on Sixth st. there is a restaurant called "Abc Chinese food", thats near where Randy found a dollar in the storm drain and bought the bogus lottery ticket in the 2006 season finale.

tenemy

[56]Sep 21, 2006
    • level: 10
    In the first episode of season 2, Earl and Randy ride in the car without a seatbelt, and we see bikers riding their motorbikes without a helmet. Assuming Earl and the bikers are law abiding citizens, the show couldn't be set in California or Maryland because both these states have a mandatory helmet use law and a primary seatbelt law. The only state without a seatbelt law or a helmet law is New Hampshire, although there are many states where the seatbelt law is secondary, and many places where the seatbelt laws just aren't enforced.

But yeah, we know the show is set in "Anywhere USA", so I don't know why we do this :-p

Miroku_of_Nite1

[57]Sep 22, 2006
    • level: 17
    The idea is Anytown USA but it has a Southern California feel to it. Also the fact I seen cars with California plates in this show.

HilljaFuFu

[58]Nov 9, 2006
    • level: 22

ZugZug4 wrote:
    "This sucks. I'm going back to Jersey." I love Kevin Smith and Dogma.

Your deffinatly not the only one!

You used to be the editor of the clerks page didnt you?

It sucks no one is at all intrested in that forum.

lapointegrrrl

[59]Nov 9, 2006
    They have GOT to get Smith and Mewes to guest star on MNIE.

If they can guest star on "Degrassi", they can show up on Earl.

HilljaFuFu

[60]Nov 10, 2006
    • level: 22

lapointegrrrl wrote:
    They have GOT to get Smith and Mewes to guest star on MNIE. If they can guest star on "Degrassi", they can show up on Earl.

deffinatly! I could actually see that happening. it'd be cool if they'd let smith direct the episode as well. But do you know how easily they could pretend they he had something on his list like stole a soda machine with jay and silent bob or something. It might be a little unrealistic, but i think jay and bob are just as believeable as some of the other felons earl has as his former friends.