My Name Is Earl Forums

NBC (ended 2009)

Why was this show cancelled instead of The Office?

gr0mka

[1]Aug 10, 2009
    • level: 1

The Office, 30 Rock and any of those minor league pseudo intellectual shows have never made me laugh out loud. My Name is Earl (esp Randy and Joy) made me laugh. The Office should never have made it past season 2 (when it became a soap opera about Jim y Pam). The Office has gone from interesting and kinda funny to sad. The other shows are just SNL hacks giving themselves too much credit.

The only good thing to say about the choices at NBC right now is at least they dumped Scrubs. Another show that went on too long.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

brain05

[2]Sep 10, 2009
    • level: 15
    My Name is Earl is one of my favorite comedies, but I can't agree with you at all on your opinion of all those other shows.

LuckyS7evin

[3]Sep 11, 2009
    • level: 2
    I am gob smacked that a show as well wrote and performed as my name is earl has been cancelled, I am a big fan of the office so can't agree with that opinion, but one part of your rant I totally agree with is WHY? why why why have the powers that be cancelled such an amazing show.
    Edited on 09/11/2009 2:51am

KCW1985

[4]Sep 21, 2009
    • level: 7
    My Name is Earl is not a funny as the Office, but I wouldn't have minded if 30 Rock was canceled over My name is Earl.

vdgmsrck

[6]Sep 22, 2009
    • level: 12
    This subject really gets my blood boiling I loved My Name Is Earl, it should never have been canceled. I've never watched 30 Rock or the Office and have no desire to ever.... I could go on but I'm suppose to keep it clean so I won't......

HelloStuart

[7]Nov 22, 2009
    • level: 63
    It's pretty simple, pal. People still watch "The Office," and it sustained enough of an audience (especially in key demographics) to keep going. We should be lucky MNIE wasn't canceled when the Nielsens first went into free-fall back in Season 3.

RohanWillcock

[8]Nov 28, 2009
    • level: 3
    I agree My name is Earl is much more better than the office and half the other crap they have on now days there are to many law and orders and CSI's, Bring back My Name Is Earl and finish his story.

DOMOJITA

[9]Dec 2, 2009
    • level: 18
    i love this show i hate the office and the other boring p;eace of crap thay have on now this show rules randy is halarius.

Sblaesing

[10]Dec 5, 2009

My name is Earl is cancelled????????????????????? this show is the funniest show on TV.

Sblaesing

[11]Dec 5, 2009

I hear ya, Randy is the funniest. This show has the kind of humor anyone would find funny,

Randy is gettin stupider as the series goes on,

Why would let cancell this show, it must get tons of viewers

ImAwesome66

[12]Dec 21, 2009
    • level: 6
    the office is awesome don't knock it, season 4 of earl was really poor in my opinion.

SpongebeachBob

[13]Dec 28, 2009
    • level: 14
    actually I only really liked the first season, I guess it went downhill after that. But I agree with some of you, a cliffhanger is not a good way to end this show.

johuth

[14]Jan 11, 2010
    • level: 5
    I refuse to watch the office because it is a remake of a show that isn't very old I hate US remakes of Good British shows like life on mars and Coupling it is stupid and lazy.

GreenyFool

[15]Feb 11, 2010
    • level: 6
    The Office (US) began to suck when they ran out of jokes from the UK version. My Name Is Earl ended on a cliff hanger too, bad ending.

comiceinstein

[16]Mar 6, 2010
    • level: 2
    WHY?! You all ask. Once again, the answer is, "follow the money."

NBC produces and owns the rights to "The Office,""30 Rock" and "Parks and Recreation." That means that when these programs go into syndication or sell DVD's, it's NBC that rakes in the bucks.

In Earl's case, the rights were owned by the studio that made it. So, even though Earl was making money for NBC (According to producer Greg Garcia it was somewhere around 2 million per episode) it wasn't enough for them.

NBC has been losing so much money, they would rather gamble on "Parks and Recreation" and "Community" that could make them more in the long run, rather than stick with a winner that they know produces.

Plus, they had to make room for Jay and that whole debacle. Why does Zucker still have a job?!

So, it had nothing to do with what show was funnier, just which one could make NBC more money.