My Name Is Earl

Get a Real Job

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM May 03, 2007 on NBC

• Yikes.....

The one thing that you never want a comedy television show to be is 'not funny.' Unfortunately, this episode was just that: it contained absolutely no moments that provided laughter. The whole 'scratch and sniff' promotion for this episode was the focus, which, to be honest, is ridiculous. The episode had some fantastic guest stars, including Sean Astin, Charles S. Dutton and Chelcie Ross, who all appeared in the 1993 movie 'Rudy.' And the premise for the show was OK - in regards to Earl 'getting a job.' But that premise is also very unoriginal. Season One's exceptional episode 'O Karma, Where Art Thou?' depicted Earl doing numerous different jobs. Granted he never lasted long at any one of them. But that episode, gust starring Jon Favreau, was hysterical.

I genuinely hope that next week's season finale is fantastic. Coming off of last week's very good 'G.E.D.' episode, this one was far from anything resembling good.
  • Now that Earl has his GED, he wants to go out and find a real job he likes. He think he has found a great job as a stocker, until he sees the salesman and all their glory.

This is my favorite episode of My Name Is Earl. I think it may be because I am a huge of the movie Rudy. In this parody of the movie Rudy, Earl finds himself trying to beat the odds and work his way to the top. Earl and Randy get jobs as stockers at an appliance store. One day Earl steps onto the Sales floor and sees Sean Austin aka Rudy who is playing a salesman, and wants to become a Salesman. The Coach from Rudy is the Store Manager. The Janitor from Rudy is the Head of the Stockers. The head stocker gives his famous speech from Rudy to Earl with some changes. Although the stockers don't like Earl trying to be better and move to the sales floor, They come through for him in the end! All in all this episode is hilarious. I loved it 9 out of 10!
  • this episode was pretty good.

I can't say that this episode was my favorite, but it was pretty good. Was I the only one who noticed the 'Rudy' refernces? Like the black man, giving Earl the motovational speach, sounded just like the janitor gave rudy. And, when Earl was asking to be a full time salesman, all the back room workers placed their credit cards on the boss's desk, like all of Rudy's fellow teamates put their jerseys on their coaches desk. Pretty strange, I watched rudy a week ago in school. I also liked that sex puppet thing that joy gave the crabman, freaky! I actually sunderstood what Catalina said to joy! Yes! my spanish is getting better! haha, I wonder how Joy will fair in Mexico.
  • Earl gets a source of income in the form of parody

It was obvious that Earl couldn't live off and cross off items on the lottery money for the rest of his life so this improving himself theme works very well, though of course there's less time to cross items off his list. It's a conundrum. That said, this episode is great but certainly not the best of the season, with some of the highlights being Randy being proud of Earl yet spitting on his shoe, Joy's scheme to flee the country and Darnell's reaction, Earl getting his tie cut and Randy using Earl's card. That said, some of the scenes were basically direct moments straight from Rudy with few jokes but I guess the episode is half homage, half parody.

Overall, this is a very funny episode but following the GED episode, it is hard to compare it to the superb episode that preceded it.
  • if you have a sense of humor and liked the movie Rudy as well as Rudy references you will like this episode. (Contains spoilers)

Besides the whole Rudy thing were they had stars from the movie the guy who played Coach Devine as well as Charles S. Dutton who was in the movie, and of course Sean Astin, who actually played Rudy. Charles Dutton gave a modified speech of the one he gave in the movie. They did the scene were they put the jersies down for Rudy to play but this time it was credit cards. It was funny even with the other jokes, The whole thing with Joy running off to Mexico so she won't go to jail was funny as well as the jokes about the plastic doll in crab man's bed. I thought over all this was a pretty funny episode.
  • Yikes.....