My Name Is Earl

Girl Earl

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM May 08, 2008 on NBC

• Earl's new wife is not quite what he expected from his coma dream.

This episode is very well plotted, and while there's an abundance of bagging puns, it is still a hilarious episode. The fact that Earl's sitcoma had idolised Billie before he knew her and her faults, and got married was well shown as he realises that she's just as human as anyone else. Billie wanting to get the list over with quickly rather than properly was a good way of depicting this, and then the final twist with yet another moustache joke looks like its leading Earl towards yet another divorce. The hints in the previous episode like Frank being the only one that really knew her sets up these ramifications well, and who knows what curveball karma will throw at Earl next to make his life miserable.
  • Billie creates a list of her own but is very lazy with it, not to the approval of Earl. Jon Heder guest stars as a crippled bagger

5.5
    Not the worst episode of this season but it did feel a little too contrived and a little too bizarre (for the show). The fact that Billie who was built up as a good thing for Earl turns out to be his opposite is a nasty cheat on the writers part. She may be bad but with the ending of this episode it doesn't look like Earl has any intention of helping her follow the path of Karma. Instead there is an insult on the 'tache and he's not happy about it.

Jon Heder as the guest star of the week is okay, what really feels a little too bizarre is the grocery bagging contest itself though. Whether the two hands thing and re-interpreting the rules was a subtle reference to his film 'Blades of Glory' I can't say but its not as funny an idea here as in that movie.

I think that it all boils down to the fact that the writer was trying too hard to get back to Season 2 Earl. However with Billie thrown in in the last couple of episodes and biggish guest stars it all went wrong.
  • This episode truly was painful to watch, mostly because of the horrendous guest stars. There was that unfunny guy from the always-abysmal MADtv and Jon Heder, the one note wonder from Napoleon Dynamite. They both need acting lessons. Heder especially.

This episode truly was painful to watch, mostly because of the horrendous guest stars. There was that unfunny guy from the always-abysmal MADtv and Jon Heder, the one note wonder from Napoleon Dynamite. They both need acting lessons. Heder especially. He sounds like he is reading off of cue cards. His lack of talent really stands out when he interacts with Lee. This episode really did stray from what makes this show great. Not enough Randy, Joy, Crabman, Catalina (ok her acting is even worse but at least she is fun to look at). The writing in this episode was just plain stupid, with less laughs than expected.
  • Dreadful Beyond Comprehension

1.1
    Well, it is official. This show, once one of my absolute favorites, has turned awful. This episode was its last chance for me. Billie (the dreadful Alyssa Milano) cannot act, Jon Heder (from 'Napoleon Dynamite' fame) was a terrible choice for a cameo, and the entire episode felt forced and fell far below even my rather low expectations. I will always have the 1st and 2nd Seasons on DVD to enjoy, but I am going to pretend (may take a lot of alcohol, but I'll make it) that this entire 3rd Season never existed. I have NEVER seen a show fade so drastically in a 3 Season time frame. Such a shame that this show has come to this. However, the SAME thing happened with the creator of this shows prior show, the dreadful from the beginning 'Yes, Dear.' Like I said, the first 2 Seasons of this show were amazing and smart - for this to happen in one season is an atrocity.
TBS