My Name Is Earl

Joy in a Bubble

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Oct 02, 2008 on NBC

• Joy gets an infectious disease.

5.5
    After a pair of good episodes of My Name is Earl last week the show dipped into mediocrity here tonight. This storyline was really dumb as I am not a fan of episodes where people get big heads due to an allergic reaction and this was basically the same premise. There were some funny lines especially Randy's remark about knowing an older guy who had a lot of little boy friends, but this just isn't what the show once was, or even was last season. My Name Is Earl very well might be on its final legs, so hopefully things will turn around.
  • Joy is a great mom!

This episode really highlights Joy's maternal side, something I dont think has been fully explored on the show. The ending was really sweet and just proves that she obviously really cares for her kids and wont let her pride jeopardise their childhood.

I'm also glad Darnell got a lot of lines in this episode after being sidelined in the premiere. He was really great and Randy was funny as usual. This episode is continuing the winning streak of Season 4 and shows the writers finally realise where to steer the show and let it come back to its roots which is following the list.
  • Not the greatest of story plots.

Although this episode of Earl wasn't the best. It wasn't the worst either. Now, I didn't think that the story plot was anything special or clever. I think we have all seen it done before on television. The thing that this one had for it that others didn't however is great acting and dialogue. There were some very clever quotes in this episode and the acting was as good as it gets for this cast.
    It just seemed like the writing is getting lazy after watching this episode. I mean, try doing something a little more clever next time, but don't mess with the original formula.