My Name Is Earl

Something To Live For

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Feb 02, 2006 on NBC

• It was OK but the suicide thing wasn't funny

5.5
    I am a fan of this show because I cheer anyone who tries to right of all of his wrongs in order to get his/her life on track. Especially if you have humor in it. But this episode was bad.

Okay, stealing gas is well.....tacky but I can see Earl in his past days doing it. But this guy's wanting to kill himself? Sorry, making humor out of suicide is not funny.

But it was good that they showed why he didn't want to kill himself anymore: not that he didn't win his love but that he had now made friends and that was worth living for. That was only redeming thing about this episode.

• Coincidences everywhere!

This episode was entertaining for a lot of reasons, mainly the fact that old Earl was responsible for Philo's failed suicide attempts due to his crimes and new Earl was finding it more difficult to stop Philo killing himself now that he was straight and trying to make up for the crime he commited which technically saved Philo's life. If there weren't enough twists already, Philo was in love with Joy and it seems like all his problems are connected to Earl in some way.

The funniest moments of this episode are when Crabman explains that his heart feels like it's pumping blood in and out and Randy thinking that the point of Earl's list was to help everyone so he could go back to stealing.

Overall, the suicidal theme brought the episode down a little but it's still four out of five for me.
  • Giving a suicidal purpose.

For the first time Earl is actualy doing things because they are good, not just becuase they are on his list.Though Randy doesn't understand this Earl sees it as a new side of Karma.

The suicidal guy must have been really sad when he found out that it wasn't a divine force trying to save his life, but he did get two friends out of it.
  • Earl does something because he feels like he should, not because he has to.

Catching up on tivo'd Earls. This one wasn't outrageously wacky but I did think it was heartfelt and had good laughs as well as some character growth for both Earl and Randy. For the first time Earl did a good deed (helping obnoxious, whiny guy find a reason to live) because he thought it was the right thing to do, not because he had to. At the end, Earl realizes he's going to be stuck hanging out with this whiny guy forever because he's become this guy's reason to live-- but he's willing to take the hit. Even sweeter, Randy, who hates whiny guy, realizes he's got a (good) funny feeling in his stomach from doing good, and -- although Earl tells him he doesn't have too-- he decides to keep hanging out with the whiny guy too. It's a nice sign of growth for Randy. Early on in the episode, he was complaining that Earl was never going to finish his list and they were never going to get back to stealing. Earl asked "you don't really understand my list do you?" And Randy says "Not really."
  • Different, but that’s not always a bad thing.

Earl returns gas to Philo, the man he stole it from a year earlier. He crosses Philo’s name of the list, but then finds out that in stealing the gas Earl had prevented Philo from killing himself a year ago. Upon discovering that he had not been being saved for some higher purpose by God, but instead was a target of thieves, Philo resumes his suicide attempts. Despite having crossed him off the list, Earl makes it his mission to give this guy a reason to live, and drags a reluctant Randy along to help. I think I liked this episode because it’s a departure from the norm. Earl has been doing good things to make up for the bad, this is true, but in reality his motivations for doing so have been pretty selfish. In this episode he is doing something good for someone else not just to absolve his own guilt, but because it is the RIGHT thing to do. It adds a whole other aspect to Earl and shows how he is changing and growing as a person. Perhaps this wasn’t as funny as other episodes, but it was enjoyable none the less.
  • While it had some funny parts that made it enjoyable to watch, it didn't have the emotional impact that it usually has that makes me love the show.

While not as good as I've come to expect from Earl, it is still better than most other shows I watch, and so I still gave it a higher than average rating.

The comedy was great. Just look above at all the quotes that make this episode funny as hell. Rewatching it a number of times, I keep hearing new things I missed the times before that make me laugh. So I have no issue with that part of the show.

However, I am a little let down with the emotional side. Part of the reason I love this show so much is because each episode he has to work so hard, and in the end he is rewarded with something worth much more than all the work he put in to getting it. Something that makes us as watchers feel like we've been rewarded with as well. Yet this episode, he gets his reward, but didn't appreciate it, nor want it. It's just kind of a let down from what we have gotten in the past.
  • A departure from the standard format with Earl trying to help someone outside of his karma quest.

A departure from the standard format with Earl trying to help someone outside of his karma quest. It starts out with Earl and Randy pushing their car down the road because they ran out of gas and that was a sign that Earl needed to help a guy, Philo, he stole gas from all the time.

Turns out, Earl's gas stealing was keeping Philo from killing himself. Upon finding this out, Philo is disillusioned and continues on his suicidal ways. Earl, while knowing that he has repaid his debt, decides that he cannot let this man kill himself. This disappoints Randy because, well, Philo is annoying.

This is an episode packed with attempted suicides and little to really celebrate. This is a mediocre midseason episode that is possibly introducing a new regular guest star. (If there is such a thing)
  • What the hell was that?

5.8
    This is the first episode I did not like: why? It was BORING. I did not laugh once.

The plotline was semi-interesting...and I like the fact that Joy was trying to make Darnell jealous in her own trashy way......but where was the actual comedy?

Although, I hated the episode, it's good for shows to have one dull episode, so that the good ones can shine through.