My Name Is Earl

The Magic Hour

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Sep 25, 2008 on NBC

• For a Season Premiere this is very weak. For one where is the Amish lass?

I have to admit that I found this episode not even mildly heart warming or amusing. Last season had problems and this episode starts not acknowledging any of that rather just getting back to basics. This irked me a little as we could have slotted this in anywhere in Season 1 or 2 minus the Seth Green cameo. It also doesn't acknowledge Randy's potential love interest in the Amish girl from the end of last season.

The plot involves Earl in the past stealing a pony for a Make a Wish boys party. He was dieing of cancer back then but somehow has lasted 10 years to become Seth Green. Well, instead of the pony he wants to make a movie so Earl becomes his producer and the Camden town lot his actors. Randy is good in this episode as well as Seth Green himself but everybody else is just going through the motions. Darnell and Joy are just present and Earl, well he does his usual but you don't get a sense that Jason Lee is as enthusiastic anymore. Despite making a very professional looking film on a shoestring budget I wasn't convinced by others being inspired to do other things by it, it just felt shoehorned in. This is a weak season opener and doesn't even set anything up for coming episodes as the kid dies in the end. Over all I am disappointed :(