My Own Worst Enemy

NBC (ended 2008)

My Own Worst Enemy Fan Reviews (23)

7.9
  • Great acting, great story development, great character evolution. But is it too complicated for the generic viewing audience? The ratings seem to be saying that.

Thumbs up. What I'm worried about is the convoluted storyline between the character changes and the detailed interaction between each personality and his environment.

Christian Slater fans will love this as we watch him stretch his acting muscles.

The story is engaging and after a few episodes, I'm not too confused, but you really had to pay attention at times.

Thumbs up all around and this show is going on my list of ones to watch every week. The fact that it's lined up behind Heroes on NBC could be good, or bad, if Heroes would get their act together.

After a few episodes, the two personalities start to work together but Edward (The spy) is looking to reign in Henry (The alternate non-spy personality) as he tries to discover himself. They communicate through video messages and it will be interesting, that's for sure. At this point, Henry has proven himself to not be useless, looking to convince HQ's to not erase him. So far, so good.

I like the show. They've pulled off an interesting concept and haven't overdone it. The few inconsistent moments that confused me were quickly swept under the rug by the momentum of the story.

The developing underlying humor between Henry and Edward and Henry's wife is nice. (If you know what I mean. Wink-wink.)

My real concerns, again, is the complication of the story details. The ratings have been sinking and it's reminding my of Journeyman. Great writing, but possibly too detailed for the generic TV viewer who's looking to sludge out on the couch who doesn't want to have to concentrate after a rough day at work.

Can't blame them, but this viewer likes being absorbed in a show that makes me think. I can really leave my day behind when I do.

Review by Bruce Simmons (Brusimm)