My So-Called Life Forums

ABC (ended 1995)

Why is this show so appealing?

lowjack9

[1]Nov 3, 2006
    • level: 1
    Why is this show so appealing to people? It only lasted 5 months and it seemed to be just another night time soap opera. Fans of the show; prove me wrong by explaining to me what about this show is so appealing to you.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

rapturerogue

[2]Nov 4, 2006
    • level: 45

You must remember that these were the days well before the WB/CW is what it is today: full of hour-long teen dramas. At the time there was nothing like this at all on TV! It was the first time there was a serious television show about teenagers that portaryed them as young adults. Teens and adolescents around the country watched it with a kind of "wow, they finally got it right!" attitude.

And, let's face it: Jared Leto was and still is hot! Many girls tuned in just to get a look at his baby blue eyes!

myso-calledlife

[3]Nov 16, 2006
    • level: 4
    The realism of the writing on this show was incredible. It also had a realistic portrayal of the family as a whole, which you don't find in these shows often. Also, as the person before me mentioned, this show proceded other teen soaps. MSCL came before Dawson's Creek, before The OC, before all of those inferior shows. Greg Berlanti, who produced teen soap Dawson's Creek and created teen soap Everwood says MSCL comes up in the writing room at least once a week and it isn't surprising. MSCL may have only lasted a year, but its influence is still seen on network TV.

jcap2002

[4]Nov 29, 2006
    • level: 13
    I can remember being what? all of 12 years old while this show aired, and I would say to myself "Jeez, that's what I'm going through right now!" The difference between MSCL and shows like One Tree Hill or The OC is that, while those shows are under the guise of "real teen drama," MSCL was real teen drama. MSCL didn't have two guys just finding out that they're brothers, neither did it have whatever crisis-of-the-day The OC has (I don't watch that show, so I don't know what happens on it). I had a friend in high school who was an alcoholic like Rayanne. My best guy friend in high school was gay like Ricky and had problems and doubts about coming out of the closet. I had a crush on the unattainable guy like Angela. What made MSCL so different, as the person above me said, is that it really did relate to real teenagers, and that's so rare nowadays.

lowjack9

[5]Dec 13, 2006
    Someday I will have to watch some episodes and see for myself. I have only seen part of one episode way back in 1995. The father was fixing the raingutters outside and was talking to his daughter about the band Buffalo Springfield.

lil_lokita_83

[6]Feb 16, 2007
    • level: 5
    There are lots of episodes on youtube.com. But then again there are only 19 episodes.

DarkBride

[7]Mar 23, 2007
    • level: 16
    This is the television show that defined my teen years. I was 13 years old when it started and from the preview comercials - I was hooked! Both my mom and I watched it together and it helped us form a closer bond back then, which was so helpful because I was going through my own 'hanging with the bad crowd' era. This show was so far from the over-the-top dramas like Dawsons Creek and the OC, those are teenie soaps. MSCL was a show that portrayed what teens were ACTUALLY going through back then. Trust me, I was there, I was one of them, I even chopped my hair and dyed it red, I had the same boots Angela gave to the homeless angel girl (although mine were from Payless and I am sure Angela's weren't), I had a crush on a boy who had the same hair cut as Jordan, I smoked and drank before school (and after, and the weekends), I went places I shouldn't have, I had friends who slept around. It was so real. The ironic thing was that back then, I wished I was Angela. Now, I realize that we actually had a lot in common. I was devestated when the show was canceled. I even started a petition at my school and got around 200 signatures (some made-up because a lot of kids didn't watch the show because Friends aired at the same time). Anyways, my point is that it was real. I think a little too real and some people couldn't take it. Watch the reruns or buy the DVD, its worth it. Its a glimpse into teenage life in the mid-90s. Which OMG, seems forever ago. Over a decade. Wow, I am getting old.

PumpkinBelly

[8]Apr 8, 2007
    I could somehow relate to Angela and her friends, their problems, issues, what they went through. It's not easy being a teenager (I realize it now, when I'm a "grown-up"...)

I had a gay friend, and his life was not easy at all. Sometimes I felt that things in the show could have been scenes from my own life... (I know it sounds pathetic, but anyways...)

Dina-M

[9]Jun 1, 2007
    • level: 9

The show has something that you'll not find for sure nowhere now! All fancy teen-dramas these days.

MSCL was the real thing. It's really a shame about the (few)19 episodes

Episodes when you can watch the mux deep troubles w/ Rayanne & Rickie families are "amazing".

The_Beekeeper

[10]Jul 17, 2007
    • level: 10
    I agree with basically everyone else so far. This show was so much more realistic than any of the teen drama's that have come since. So many times while watching this show I say "I remember feeling like that." That dialogue feels so natural and real. The actors portray their characters so sincerely and unpretentiously, I could relate to each of these characters in some way. Not to say that shows like Dawson's Creek, The OC and One Tree Hill are bad, but this show is in a different league.

cutieflutie1216

[11]Sep 14, 2007
    • level: 50
    myso-calledlife wrote:
    The realism of the writing on this show was incredible. It also had a realistic portrayal of the family as a whole, which you don't find in these shows often. Also, as the person before me mentioned, this show proceded other teen soaps. MSCL came before Dawson's Creek, before The OC, before all of those inferior shows. Greg Berlanti, who produced teen soap Dawson's Creek and created teen soap Everwood says MSCL comes up in the writing room at least once a week and it isn't surprising. MSCL may have only lasted a year, but its influence is still seen on network TV.

Well said. But I think that Angela's inner dialogue had a lot to do with it too. It was original. Including what Angela was thinking made it able to express all these random teenage feelings. It was real. Because that was how our teenage years were. Yes, there were problems -- friends, boys, sex, drinking -- but being able to interrupt the scene and include the thoughts made all the difference. It was the best show ever canceled after one season.

blackgoddess316

[12]Jan 21, 2008
    • level: 6
    it was appealing to me because i WAS angela. i watched that show and i think i was around her age(on the show) and it seemed like i was going through the same stuff she was. i watch the show and i still enjoy it.

SillySophie

[13]Mar 22, 2009
    • level: 9
    When it originally aired it was appealing to me because I was a freshman in high school and could relate so much to Angela. Her life was real. Her parents had regular jobs. She *omg* wore the same clothes over and over again. Now it is appealing because it brings back memories. It's like looking into a time capsule. It's so mid-90s and yet it doesn't seem outdated at all. (Except for Jordan brooding in the school hallway, wearing big over-the-head earphones while listening to his Walkman. Rock on, you hot bad boy. )

readdeeply

[14]Jan 20, 2010
    I think, for women at least, we see a little of our younger selves in Angela. Because the show approaches some pretty serious stuff-- everything from gun violence to the isolation and fear of being gay with no familial support-- it reminds us how deeply, at times, young people can experience the world around them. There is enough depth in each of the characters to capture the viewer's attention in every episode- if you can tolerate the scenes of Angela's very boring parents!

KyahCA

[15]Jul 15, 2010
    • level: 6
    It was the beginning of an era of teenage drama like Dawson's Creek and One Tree Hill.

I don't really remember this show that much. My sister used to watch it and I watched whatever she watched. I only remember one episode it was Halloween and the main girl's little sister dressed up as her with a short red wig like her hair.

And I don't know if this is the same episode, but the main girl and her alcoholic friend are at a club or something in a parking lot, and for some reason I forget why, this one guy is pressing up on the drunk girl against the car and it looked like he was going to rape her in front of everyone, but then the cops came and brought the girls home. Most dramatic show I've ever seen. Even more than Dawson's Creek.