My Three Sons

ABC (ended 1972)

youngbrowny

My Three Sons Fan Reviews (11)

• One of the best family comedies of the early 1960s and one that doesn't get shown often enough on TV. Also arguably the best series that has yet to be seen on DVD. What's the big delay? Like I said off the top: Bring it back!

This was one of my favorite shows as a child and I was thrilled to rediscover it when the reruns began airing in my area around 5 years ago. I enjoyed seeing the color episodes again, but what really got me enjoying and appreciating the show once again was seeing the early black and white episodes for the first time. What a joy it was to see the sons in their younger days, guided by the wisdom and love of their widowed father Steve Douglas, played brilliantly by Fred MacMurray, who cemented his reputation as one of the great TV fathers of all time. To top things off, he was aided by the boys' grandfather, "Bub" O'Casey, played by William Frawley, best known, of course, from "I Love Lucy". If the mere sight of Fred Mertz in an apron doing housework jolts your senses just a little, if you keep watching for a few more episodes you'll be amazed at how well he pulls it off. My favorite character on the show was Polly, Chip's girlfriend who later married him. I absolutely adored her! My favorite episodes were when Polly and Chip began dating, much to the dismay of her overprotective father, which I could never understand since I thought they made a great couple! Like the great family comedies of the 50s and 60s like "Leave It To Beaver", "Ozzie and Harriet", and "Make Room For Daddy", to name a few, this is a series that defines a gentler and more innocent time, a show that you can look at and sadly wonder why they don't make them like this anymore. I miss the show a lot and I hope someone will have the good sense to bring it back very soon, either on TV or DVD.