My World and Welcome to It

NBC (ended 1970)

My World and Welcome to It Fan Reviews (6)

7.3
  • Close to genius

This was a wonderful show that , like Slattery's People, East Side/ West Side, The Westerner, The Trials of O'Brien, and The Great Adventure, will probably never be released on DVD or even be re-run. The show was both whimsical and sardonic, a pioneering combination of Live action and animation, featuring an unforgettable performance by the great William Windom as its cartoonist hero. I Long since gave up on mainstream TV. The number of truly great shows on the majors networks is small, indeed. This was one of the all- time TRUE greats.
  • Mixing live action and animation, whimsy and fun, this series rounded off the 60s perfectly

'My World and Welcome to It' was cancelled after one series and 26 episodes, but remains a landmark, albeit an obscure one, for TV sitcom. William Windom played John Monroe, a cartoonist and writer who retreats from a wife, daughter and dog into fantasy to cope with the situations in which he finds himself day to day. So his cartoons and daydreams come to life, he talks in asides to the camera, spars with his knowing daughter Lydia, and generally stumbles through life rather clueless about what's going on. The series is fun without being over the top, and whimsical without being cloying. A bit dated now, nevertheless it is extremely watchable and has several shining performances within its half-hour episodes.
  • A show that fits the catagory "Brilliant but Cancelled".

This was my first (of many now) favorite new show that was canceled way too early in its life. In a world of predictable half hour comedies this one stood out as quirky and fun. Many of the aspects that made it fresh would now be considered old hat; mixed live action and animated scenes, warmly critical views on other family members and eccentric main character, but at the time it was on these were all new and surprising. A show that dared to take a risk that had heart and humor. If you like the writings and drawings of James Thurber you would have loved this show and maybe someday it will be shown again on a program like “Brilliant but Cancelled”.
  • A show that deserved better than it got

Despite the fact that it only ran for one year, I believe that "My World and Welcome to It" deserves the title of a classic. Its form was innovative, its humor wry and understated, and its execution flawless. The combination of animation and live action wasn't totally new, but it had never been used in quite the same way this show did. The Thurber drawings might not be the first one might think of animating, but they turned out to be a perfect way to tell these stories. I also liked the use of talking to the camera; of course, it's been seen elsewhere, from the old "Burns and Allen" show to "It's Gary Shandling's Show," but never has it felt more natural and uneffected.

Something should also be said about William Windom's Emmy-winning performance as John Monroe. Windom was the perfect choice to play a Thurber-like character, a man who was both world-weary and vividly imaginative. It was the role of a lifetime for him, and he ought to have had the opportunity to have played it much longer.

I will be very happy when and if someone finally releases this show on DVD. I haven't seen it in almost 35 years, and I would love the chance to visit the Monroes once again.
  • Gone Before Its Time

My World & Welcome To It lasted a just one season on NBC from 1969-70. For that one year, it walked away with an Emmy for Outstanding Comedy Series and a Best Actor in a Comedy Series for star William Windom. The show was based on the drawings of James Thurber and expertly intertwined animated sketches with live action.
  • I have not watched more than 50 hours of tv since 1990. I rarely watched it ever. But I remember MY World... as being one of he most literate and entertaining programs ever on tv. I regret that I can't find videos of it. Any help?

James Thurber was one of America's greatest wits, along with Dorothy Parker, W.C. Fields, Steve Martin and Bill Murray.

I empathized with Turber. My mother was blinded by glaucoma, as was Thurber.

I dislike programs with children; this was the exception. The way the house came to life and engulfed the figures was better than Thurber drew.

I doubt that it was the best show ever on tv, but it was certainly far above most that I have seen. Perhaps, it was a favorite of only a few, such as myself who do believe electricity leaks from sockets.