Mystery Science Theater 3000

Comedy Central (ended 1999)

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Fan Reviews page 3 of 3

• No, it wasn't in the least original -- you did it at home way before they did!

But it was so achingly funny, that it is a classic of the highest order in TV history. Woody Allen pulled it off first with 'What's Up Tiger Lily'. Proctor and Bergman pulled it off second with 'J-Men Forever. I beat both of them with a pretty good (albeit singular) adlib when 'Jason and the Argonauts' came out in '63 and I stood up in a Westwood theater (when they were debating what to do with the bad-luck stowaway) and added 'Throw her to the man-eating anchovys!' to the on-screen discussion. (I was 12; for 12 it wasn't a bad joke, and the ushers never caught me). But Joel Hodgson et al institutionalized it, picked the good bad pictures, made the right jokes and wrote the perfect songs to make this a true classic.
  • Never have I laughed soo hard...

This was the only show I think I seriously wet my pants... This show made fun of alot of cheap films with story lines that were lacking... This show was also great because it gave the small low budget films a chance to make it big... Great Show and Great Writers...
  • Talking through a movie is finally cool.

MST3K may be the single greatest idea for a television show ever, and by far the cheapest way to get guest stars.

Everyone hates it when people talk through a movie. You can't hear the plot, you miss dialogue, and it's obnoxious behavior. This show turned it on it's head by saving us from bad movies and being far more entertaining than the movie interrupted.

Still, I can't forgive you for Manos: the Hand of Fate. That was unforgivable. And people think Michael Jackson's creepy? (shudder)

A wonderful show, a unique concept, and a great run. If they can find a way to make season sets, they should.
  • There's been a load of bad movies released ever since. These guys should be going back to work!

This was a famous cult classic show from late 1980s- mid 1990s. A show like this may have been past its prime, but after it got cancelled, it missed 'GLITTER'. And 'GIGLI'. And 'CROSSROADS'. Any more of these bad movies come along, then these people are lazy. They should go back on air and diss them.
  • Network switches, angry filmmakers, and unappreciative executives cannot kill off the "little cowtown puppet show" better known as Mystery Science Theater 3000.

MST3K, as it is known by its fans(MSTies), is one of those shows that takes some getting used to, but as MSTies will tell you, it is worth it. Its simple premise-a guy builds robots to cope with having to watch terrible movies in space-belies the clever pop culture references and witty writing that won it a Peabody award. Sometimes it does go over the viewer's head with its references(a 15 1/2 hour German movie called "Berlin Alexanderplatz" is noted during a lengthy dance scene in one movie), but its appeal is because everyone comments on movies or TV shows while watching them, especially the bad ones. To last for 10 years, especially beginning as a local Minneapolis show, is a great accomplishment, and the fact that it lives on in DVD sales is a testament to its enduring appeal.
  • One of the greatest maverick television programs of all time shall live for infamy from now to the "not to distant future."

There are so many movies that exist. And in search for the perfect films or the films that have made an impact on our lives and our culture, we constantly swim through a never ending muck of really bad movies.

What makes a bad movie? Many aspects. Poor dialogue, horrible actors and actresses, cheesy special effects, lack of precise or clever editing, terrible soundtracks, and of course a lousy director and crew.

And what makes these movies watchable or even bearable!?

The answer: A unique television show that had an amazing eleven season run called 'Mystery Science Theater 3000.'

For about a decade, this was a show on television that took the worst movies imaginable and made them enjoyable through the use of witty and sarcastic dialogue thrown at the big screen. The result of these witty remarks was both hilarious and entertaining. What better way to mock a bad movie than to verbally insult it on the big screen rather than write out one's own opinion after the end.

The premise is simple but clever. A group of rogue mad scientists (Dr. Clayton Forrester, and T.V's Frank) send a man (Joel Robinson) into space; and test out a new theory of conquering the world: Submitting the entire population of Earth to watch a neverending barrage of dumb movies. The experiments seem to backfire however, for Joel created the most memorable characters of the show...the robots. Namely the golden witty verbal Crow T. Robot; and the short gumball-headed semi-intellectual Tom Servo. Two other robots assist them in piloting the ship; namely the snake-like Gypsy and the semi-visible Cambot. With Joel, Tom, and Crow we sit and join them in their never ending verbal assault at the worst movies of all time.

Within seconds of entering the first line uttered by any of these three, we are transported from watching a regular movie into a mad cap screening of remarks on pop culture and other issues. A whirlwind of references are thrown that can vary from anything. A scene could have a man in a rubber monster suit about to abduct a girl and BOOM!! within seconds you hear dialogue from Joel or his bots reffering to let's say anything: such as socks, William Shatner, Hula hoops, Twinkies, 'Planet of the Apes', never know what random or odd words will escape from their mouths. But the result of what is being hurled at the screen to credit the movie's abomidable performance is far more useful and clever than just throwing popcorn or soda at the screen.

After Joel, Mike Nelson came along to fill in the immortal dialogue. And the Forrester legacy of 'bad movie screening' continued later on with Clayton's mother Pearl Forrester; this time aided by Professor Bobo the Gorilla and the white faced 'Observer.' For before, after, or in between segments of the movies, the viewer also watches segments based on the characters who are either reacting to the movie, acting out some of its' parts, or merely doing something else. This shows that the program is more than just a couple of people watching a dumb movie, it also focuses on building its characters.

Some of the best experiences in watching this show come from certain movie titles that ultimately spell "bad movie" before viewing. (Such as "Hercules vs. The MoonMen" "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" "Eegah!" "Monster A Go-Go" "The Incredibely Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed Up Zombies"......the list goes on.) And no scene of these movies are spared. Every detail from bad editing, to clunky dialogue, to cheap special effects is pointed out and openly taunted by the trio of unwilling movie goers forced to watched the movie. And a laugh is guaranteed for those who get every refernce being thrown at the screen.

The show started on Comedy Central and ended on Sci Fi. Within the decade of it's screening, a huge following of fans have responded positively to it's renegade style of comedy. It is truly unique as it takes a concept of taking something worth mocking. The goal was obviously to show that movie goers are not as dull or submissive as HollyWood woudl like to think. The keen and sharp tongue-in-cheek humor of Mike/Joel and the bots has kept people laughing with each viewing of every single scene of terrible cinema. Whether it makes a social, political ,or practical statement towards the subject matter; the resulting comments have tickled funny bones of many viewers.

The show now exists in DVD format; but we can only watch a small portion. More than over 600 movies have been ridiculed, mocked, and trashed by the zany crew of 'Mystery Science Theater 3000.' The DVDs only offer the very few selected for our viewing pleasure. But those who have never witnessed such a level of humor or wit before are in for a shocking and delightful surprise. It is a comedy made for bot hthe intellectual and the average person. Its use of sarcasm beats any social commentator. And its ability to keep people laughing never fades.

A show that has dedicated itself to the witty detriment of bad cinema will live in infamy as one of the most "ingenious" and "clever" maverick television programs ever devised. And on the level of such past comedy series as "I Love Lucy" "The Simpsons" "Family guy" and so will remain in its well earned seat as a "classic" for future generations of people seeking bizarre and witty humor.
  • One of the best shows made, to bad its gone, considering all the movies they have to watch and all the new Lines they have to come up with, I now consider Micheal J. Nelson and his crew a Comical genius! All hands on deck for Mystery Science Theater.

The Mystery Science Theater 3000 is one of my personal best and most love show, It's about a man and 2 Robots who are being held captiv on a spaceship in space :p An Evil Dr. put them there to watch the badest movies ever made, so that the Evil Dr. can the movie for World Domination. Mike Nelson, the Character on spaceship, buildt the Robots to keep him company. During The Movie that they watch they make funny comments and remarks. It may sound pretty boring, but this is one of the best shows that have ever come out of America, and you fall in love with it right away.
  • You say you have a sacrastic sense of humor and have been SHHH!ed more than once at the theater? Well, this show is for you!

I first discovered MST3K while living in West Virginia, with my girlfriend. We had just moved there, and discovered that the town we were living in was dead after 8:30 at night. So, while VERY bored on a friday night, we discovered the show- and I INSTANTLY was a fan.

This show is SO a dream show for anyone who has EVER wanted to yell or talk to the screen during a movie. (Let me tell you, for someone like me, it is like they reached into my head, and pulled out all the sacrastic things I have to say while at the movies, but get SHHHH!!ed when I do). I unfornately do not remember the title of the episode I saw (something about a time traveling airplane, a hero who rides a bike- "no hero rides a bike; Sidekicks, yeah, sidekicks ride the hero's house" and a mistake in teh past that has consequences on the future. But when you get down to it, don't all mistakes in the past have ripple effects on the future?!?!), but I remember getting online after the show was over and finding out when it would be on again, and that it was on ongoing series.

So, during the next couple of years, while I had cable, I would watch the show, and afterwards, annoy the hell out of my ex by then watching regular movies or tv shows. And to this day, every once in a blue moon, I will get one of the DVDS and watch it, to capture the spirit of the show.
  • i miss it so much!

i love this show and the movie is freackin hillariousif you havnt seen it you should because it is laugh till you almost die because you cant breathe and your lung are collapsing and turnig into raisins meanwhile your brain is 50/50 think " oh my god that is hillarious" and "i better calm down this could be dangourous. i might die!" so unless you have a fear of laughing yourself to death watch this.
    its just about an evil genious, who is stupid ,trying to drive a man and two robots insane by showing them the worst movies on earth. butt instead the have fun makingfun of the movies, dubbing them and adding in there own voices and/or actions. watch it! p.s. make sure that if you watch it ther isnt a bunch of stuff happenig in the back ground. or people trying to talk. get alone or with like 2 friends turn off the lights no popcorn just you, the movie and your painfull lungs.
  • 1 random loser earning minimum wage and 2 robots crack wise while being forced to watch the worst movies ever made. During this torture, they're studied by Mad Scientists. HYSTERICAL

Never risk your health by having food or beverage while watching MST3K. Either will hurt as they come shooting out your nose during uncontrollable laughter.

Joel (later Mike) and the Bots are the only thing which make the science experiment movies entertaining. Their topical wisecracks come a mile a minute and never does a zinger go off target.

The skits and songs they perform during breaks from the movie are better written than the Hollywood offerings they skewer.

I watched lots of these clunkers as a kid - only MST3K made them worth watching more than once.
  • A classic for the whole family!

Mystery Science Theater 3000 is a great show for anyone who loves a good hard laugh and cheesy movies! This is one matter what time its on have to watch it. From Crow timeless lines (face it kid...Trumpy never loved you) to Tom Servo Beautiful songs ( Idiot control now!) it was always a good time. Which such Oscar award winning Movies (ok....I am lying) as Cave Dwellers, Michell, The Brain that wouldn't die and you favorite and mine too.....Mano's Hands of Fate! This show brought together a great writing team and great actors. Mystery Science theater 3000 is a classic that shall never be forgotten!
1 2 3 >