Mystery Science Theater 3000

Comedy Central (ended 1999)

fireballil

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Fan Reviews (71)

• A classic show...fun for the whole family!

Mystery Science Theater 3000 is a great show for anyone who loves a good hard laugh and cheesy movies! This is one show...no matter what time its on ...you have to watch it. From Crow timeless lines (face it kid...Trumpy never loved you) to Tom Servo Beautiful songs ( Idiot control now!) it was always a good time. Which such Oscar award winning Movies (ok....I am lying) as Cave Dwellers, Michell, The Brain that wouldn't die and you favorite and mine too.....Mano's Hands of Fate! This show brought together a great writing team and great actors. Mystery Science theater 3000 is a classic that shall never be forgotten!
  • 1 random loser earning minimum wage and 2 robots crack wise while being forced to watch the worst movies ever made. During this torture, they're studied by Mad Scientists. HYSTERICAL

Never risk your health by having food or beverage while watching MST3K. Either will hurt as they come shooting out your nose during uncontrollable laughter.

Joel (later Mike) and the Bots are the only thing which make the science experiment movies entertaining. Their topical wisecracks come a mile a minute and never does a zinger go off target.

The skits and songs they perform during breaks from the movie are better written than the Hollywood offerings they skewer.

I watched lots of these clunkers as a kid - only MST3K made them worth watching more than once.
  • i miss it so much!

i love this show and the movie is freackin hillariousif you havnt seen it you should because it is laugh till you almost die because you cant breathe and your lung are collapsing and turnig into raisins meanwhile your brain is 50/50 think " oh my god that is hillarious" and "i better calm down this could be dangourous. i might die!" so unless you have a fear of laughing yourself to death watch this.
    its just about an evil genious, who is stupid ,trying to drive a man and two robots insane by showing them the worst movies on earth. butt instead the have fun makingfun of the movies, dubbing them and adding in there own voices and/or actions. watch it! p.s. make sure that if you watch it ther isnt a bunch of stuff happenig in the back ground. or people trying to talk. get alone or with like 2 friends turn off the lights no popcorn just you, the movie and your painfull lungs.
  • You say you have a sacrastic sense of humor and have been SHHH!ed more than once at the theater? Well, this show is for you!

I first discovered MST3K while living in West Virginia, with my girlfriend. We had just moved there, and discovered that the town we were living in was dead after 8:30 at night. So, while VERY bored on a friday night, we discovered the show- and I INSTANTLY was a fan.

This show is SO a dream show for anyone who has EVER wanted to yell or talk to the screen during a movie. (Let me tell you, for someone like me, it is like they reached into my head, and pulled out all the sacrastic things I have to say while at the movies, but get SHHHH!!ed when I do). I unfornately do not remember the title of the episode I saw (something about a time traveling airplane, a hero who rides a bike- "no hero rides a bike; Sidekicks, yeah, sidekicks ride bikes..to the hero's house" and a mistake in teh past that has consequences on the future. But when you get down to it, don't all mistakes in the past have ripple effects on the future?!?!), but I remember getting online after the show was over and finding out when it would be on again, and that it was on ongoing series.

So, during the next couple of years, while I had cable, I would watch the show, and afterwards, annoy the hell out of my ex by then watching regular movies or tv shows. And to this day, every once in a blue moon, I will get one of the DVDS and watch it, to capture the spirit of the show.
  • One of the best shows made, to bad its gone, considering all the movies they have to watch and all the new Lines they have to come up with, I now consider Micheal J. Nelson and his crew a Comical genius! All hands on deck for Mystery Science Theater.

The Mystery Science Theater 3000 is one of my personal best and most love show, It's about a man and 2 Robots who are being held captiv on a spaceship in space :p An Evil Dr. put them there to watch the badest movies ever made, so that the Evil Dr. can the movie for World Domination. Mike Nelson, the Character on spaceship, buildt the Robots to keep him company. During The Movie that they watch they make funny comments and remarks. It may sound pretty boring, but this is one of the best shows that have ever come out of America, and you fall in love with it right away.
  • One of the greatest maverick television programs of all time shall live for infamy from now to the "not to distant future."

There are so many movies that exist. And in search for the perfect films or the films that have made an impact on our lives and our culture, we constantly swim through a never ending muck of really bad movies.

What makes a bad movie? Many aspects. Poor dialogue, horrible actors and actresses, cheesy special effects, lack of precise or clever editing, terrible soundtracks, and of course a lousy director and crew.

And what makes these movies watchable or even bearable!?

The answer: A unique television show that had an amazing eleven season run called 'Mystery Science Theater 3000.'

For about a decade, this was a show on television that took the worst movies imaginable and made them enjoyable through the use of witty and sarcastic dialogue thrown at the big screen. The result of these witty remarks was both hilarious and entertaining. What better way to mock a bad movie than to verbally insult it on the big screen rather than write out one's own opinion after the end.

The premise is simple but clever. A group of rogue mad scientists (Dr. Clayton Forrester, and T.V's Frank) send a man (Joel Robinson) into space; and test out a new theory of conquering the world: Submitting the entire population of Earth to watch a neverending barrage of dumb movies. The experiments seem to backfire however, for Joel created the most memorable characters of the show...the robots. Namely the golden witty verbal Crow T. Robot; and the short gumball-headed semi-intellectual Tom Servo. Two other robots assist them in piloting the ship; namely the snake-like Gypsy and the semi-visible Cambot. With Joel, Tom, and Crow we sit and join them in their never ending verbal assault at the worst movies of all time.

Within seconds of entering the first line uttered by any of these three, we are transported from watching a regular movie into a mad cap screening of remarks on pop culture and other issues. A whirlwind of references are thrown that can vary from anything. A scene could have a man in a rubber monster suit about to abduct a girl and BOOM!! within seconds you hear dialogue from Joel or his bots reffering to let's say anything: such as socks, William Shatner, Hula hoops, Twinkies, 'Planet of the Apes', Nixon...you never know what random or odd words will escape from their mouths. But the result of what is being hurled at the screen to credit the movie's abomidable performance is far more useful and clever than just throwing popcorn or soda at the screen.

After Joel, Mike Nelson came along to fill in the immortal dialogue. And the Forrester legacy of 'bad movie screening' continued later on with Clayton's mother Pearl Forrester; this time aided by Professor Bobo the Gorilla and the white faced 'Observer.' For before, after, or in between segments of the movies, the viewer also watches segments based on the characters who are either reacting to the movie, acting out some of its' parts, or merely doing something else. This shows that the program is more than just a couple of people watching a dumb movie, it also focuses on building its characters.

Some of the best experiences in watching this show come from certain movie titles that ultimately spell "bad movie" before viewing. (Such as "Hercules vs. The MoonMen" "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" "Eegah!" "Monster A Go-Go" "The Incredibely Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed Up Zombies"......the list goes on.) And no scene of these movies are spared. Every detail from bad editing, to clunky dialogue, to cheap special effects is pointed out and openly taunted by the trio of unwilling movie goers forced to watched the movie. And a laugh is guaranteed for those who get every refernce being thrown at the screen.

The show started on Comedy Central and ended on Sci Fi. Within the decade of it's screening, a huge following of fans have responded positively to it's renegade style of comedy. It is truly unique as it takes a concept of taking something worth mocking. The goal was obviously to show that movie goers are not as dull or submissive as HollyWood woudl like to think. The keen and sharp tongue-in-cheek humor of Mike/Joel and the bots has kept people laughing with each viewing of every single scene of terrible cinema. Whether it makes a social, political ,or practical statement towards the subject matter; the resulting comments have tickled funny bones of many viewers.

The show now exists in DVD format; but we can only watch a small portion. More than over 600 movies have been ridiculed, mocked, and trashed by the zany crew of 'Mystery Science Theater 3000.' The DVDs only offer the very few selected for our viewing pleasure. But those who have never witnessed such a level of humor or wit before are in for a shocking and delightful surprise. It is a comedy made for bot hthe intellectual and the average person. Its use of sarcasm beats any social commentator. And its ability to keep people laughing never fades.

A show that has dedicated itself to the witty detriment of bad cinema will live in infamy as one of the most "ingenious" and "clever" maverick television programs ever devised. And on the level of such past comedy series as "I Love Lucy" "The Simpsons" "Family guy" and so on..it will remain in its well earned seat as a "classic" for future generations of people seeking bizarre and witty humor.
  • Network switches, angry filmmakers, and unappreciative executives cannot kill off the "little cowtown puppet show" better known as Mystery Science Theater 3000.

MST3K, as it is known by its fans(MSTies), is one of those shows that takes some getting used to, but as MSTies will tell you, it is worth it. Its simple premise-a guy builds robots to cope with having to watch terrible movies in space-belies the clever pop culture references and witty writing that won it a Peabody award. Sometimes it does go over the viewer's head with its references(a 15 1/2 hour German movie called "Berlin Alexanderplatz" is noted during a lengthy dance scene in one movie), but its appeal is because everyone comments on movies or TV shows while watching them, especially the bad ones. To last for 10 years, especially beginning as a local Minneapolis show, is a great accomplishment, and the fact that it lives on in DVD sales is a testament to its enduring appeal.
  • There's been a load of bad movies released ever since. These guys should be going back to work!

This was a famous cult classic show from late 1980s- mid 1990s. A show like this may have been past its prime, but after it got cancelled, it missed 'GLITTER'. And 'GIGLI'. And 'CROSSROADS'. Any more of these bad movies come along, then these people are lazy. They should go back on air and diss them.
  • Talking through a movie is finally cool.

MST3K may be the single greatest idea for a television show ever, and by far the cheapest way to get guest stars.

Everyone hates it when people talk through a movie. You can't hear the plot, you miss dialogue, and it's obnoxious behavior. This show turned it on it's head by saving us from bad movies and being far more entertaining than the movie interrupted.

Still, I can't forgive you for Manos: the Hand of Fate. That was unforgivable. And people think Michael Jackson's creepy? (shudder)

A wonderful show, a unique concept, and a great run. If they can find a way to make season sets, they should.
  • Never have I laughed soo hard...

This was the only show I think I seriously wet my pants... This show made fun of alot of cheap films with story lines that were lacking... This show was also great because it gave the small low budget films a chance to make it big... Great Show and Great Writers...
  • No, it wasn't in the least original -- you did it at home way before they did!

But it was so achingly funny, that it is a classic of the highest order in TV history. Woody Allen pulled it off first with 'What's Up Tiger Lily'. Proctor and Bergman pulled it off second with 'J-Men Forever. I beat both of them with a pretty good (albeit singular) adlib when 'Jason and the Argonauts' came out in '63 and I stood up in a Westwood theater (when they were debating what to do with the bad-luck stowaway) and added 'Throw her to the man-eating anchovys!' to the on-screen discussion. (I was 12; for 12 it wasn't a bad joke, and the ushers never caught me). But Joel Hodgson et al institutionalized it, picked the good bad pictures, made the right jokes and wrote the perfect songs to make this a true classic.
  • Underappreciated by cable. It must return to reach a new audience.

Only sci-fi fans worth their salt truly appreciate MST3K for what its worth: A place on the TV Show Hall of Fame. Every fan, sci-fi or not, has their own opinions about any movie they watch. Expressing oneself during the film is a dream come true! Not to mention the incredible improve wit the characters have. This is the sort of intelligent humor that most science fiction has been missing since classic Star Trek.
    There is also the impact that this show has had on the fan community to consider. "MSTing" a story is a frequent term used to critique a story by interrupting the copied text.
    Excellent show! Excellent writers! Must return in reruns, because this timeless show will be loved by all!
  • where are the reruns?. I want to see more

The most original idea for a show ever, to play a bad B movie every episode and just make fun of it the whole time.This show is great and I wish i could see it more I just never see it on TV. They had so many episodes and the only ones i'm able to watch are the ones i have on DVD. The stuff they say during the movie is hilarious. Tom servo was the funniest with his style and delivery. And it's not one of those shows that you have to watch every episode continuely or else u won't get the story because every one has it own story. One of they great things they did was base the show on a B movie-ish premise with a guy and 2 robots are tortured by bad movies in space on a dog bone satelite.
  • The greatest thing ever to hit the face of the Earth!?

MSTK 3K was never meant to be a quality show. It's simply a cheesy skit to make fun of really, really bad movies. In a world, where everybody takes things too seriously, this show produces a much needed boost of comedy. Sitcoms tend to become the same, and humor anymore is few and far between. There is just a finite number of plot lines that a sitcom can have. And many sitcoms tend to outlast their usefullness (Friends and Fraiser). However, MST3k, the humor is always refreshing. Joel (or Mike) and the robots never run out of potshots during a movie. So many movies become untentionally funny, because they are so poorly made. The robots are very clever, when they can relate contemporary events with old movies. I'll never forget when Croww T. Robot, said when he saw a wrecked T-bird "Teddy Kennedy are you alright?"

The shorts are very clever too. They make fun of the stupid short films that you had to watch in elementary school. (Posture, grooming, what to do on a date).

The only thing that one must watch out for, is that sometimes people don't get the jokes that the robots are pitching. As long as one is up on current events, he would find this show hilarious.

I remember watching the movie when it came out to theaters in 1996. I have never been in an audience that laughed so much.
  • Awsome, awsome show!

Here we have one of the best shows that ever showed on Comedy Central and the Sci-Fi Channel, Mystery Science Theater 3000. The two host, first Joel and then in the 5th season, Mike are shot into space, where they are forced to watch the worst movies ever made, with the help of a couple of robots that Joel made, Servo and Crow T. Robot.

While watching the movies, Joel, Mike and the bots make wise cracks and halriouse comments that keep the viewers cracking up. Its quite a shame that this show was cancelled, since it was a great show.
  • Unfortunately, I don't think this is a show you could bring back and capture the original charm. That being said, this is really the only TV show ever made that was worth watching. It redeems a medium otherwise devoid of value.

It was born out of an era of independent TV stations filling out their programming schedules with decades Hollywood and independent schlock. Does anyone remember having UHF and VHF dials on the front of televisions? The so-called season zero of MST3K was on a UHF station, TV-23 KTMA in Minneapolis, which took the concept of hosted movie programs and put the host in the theater with you, saying what we all knew. These movies suck!

Most television is awful, and decent comedies or dramas usually peter out (jump the shark) after a season or two, but Mystery Science Theater not only started out in a class by itself, but stayed there season after season. It's really not fair to compare it to other television shows. In the wasteland of television, it is the only show that redeems the medium. It took 50 years of crappy TV go get to one good show, and I'm not sure TV will ever produce another. At least there are ten seasons of this show to enjoy.
  • Laugh out loud funny!!!!!!

If you love short one-liners watch this show. The way they tie in the dialogue and the movies is pure greatness. Especially watch the episode with "Manos, Hands of Fate" and "Eegah". Those two are probably the worst movies ever. In fact, "Manos, Hands of Fate" was picked as the worst movie ever by Entertainment Weekly. If you like the show, you will like MST3K the movie. Good luck finding it though. It's rare.
  • A human and his robot companions are forced to watch horrible movies as part of an evil scientist's experiment. However, they choose to make light of the situation by providing their thoughts and comical commentary to the films as they watch.

Ah, Mystery Science Theater 3000 (or MST3K as it is commonly referred to). While the premise of the show seems ridiculous, in turn, it is quite a wonderful show.

The movies these three watch are bottom-of-the-barrel movies scraped from people who realized there was no other possible way to make a profit on their movies. Many are foreign and over half are B-grade horror movies. In several cases, they might even have a familiar face or two (Gene Hackman and Gregory Peck in episode 401: Space Travelers and Raul Julia in episode 822: Overdrawn at the Memory Bank).

The riffs they make during the movies are the key to the show's success and its underground appeal among tape traders. A high amount of pop culture references are included, making the replay value much higher as you may discover a new joke you never spotted in the past. They never overstep their boundaries by resorting to childish humor, but instead will make you laugh in a "hey yeah!" sort of way.

Inbetween the movies are host segments where a plot continues among the main characters and their captors. For most of the show's run, a Dr. Forrester and a man named TV's Frank monitored their little experiment from a basement labratory called Deep 13. After a time warp at the edge of the universe, Dr. Forrester's mother, Pearl takes over what her son sought to accomplish.

I would reccommend this show to anyone who would just like to sit down, have a good laugh and not have to really think about a movie while watching it. It is one of my favorites and it continues to make me chuckle even 6+ years since a new episode last aired. Try it...it's fun!
  • Remains one of the funniest, most well-written shows ever.

The precursor to all smart,subversive, self conscious television to follow: Beavis and Butthead, Dennis Miller, South Park, even the Simpsons owe a debt to Best Brains, Inc.

The show was uneven and cut for a bazillion commercials, but it always delivered at least a couple riffs that were subtle, sharp and gut-bustingly funny.

I'm amazed that with all the crap that passes for comedy on television, that these guys haven't struck it big with something.

• When, you want, the flavour of bacon in a dip!

Mystery Science Theater 3000 was probably THE most original, funniest and flat-out brilliant TV-show ever made, and is yet to be surpassed. While other comedys took the same, generic sit-com approach in an attempt of being funny, MST3K took that concept, gave it the finger, and gracefully threw it out on the front porch.

While I was probably too young to watch it on TV and really "get" the riffs (I'm 18, the only televised MST I saw was MST3K: The Movie some years back), I had to put up with Full House and the likes. But the magic of the internet helped me out, and now I have soaked in a good one hundred+ of the episodes aired, and it really is the saddest thing in the world that this show got cancelled.

I'm really, really having a hard time writing this review, 'cause the only words coming to mind is "funny", "genius" and "thegreatestshowonearth". That's all there really is to it. Joel Hodgson and Co., I thank you hellooo!

..And Tom Servo is the coolest robot in the world.
  • This is the ultimate CULT tv-show ever! its concept is so simple and yet so incredibly funny! i will love to see this come back... imagine a new crew making fun of flicks like Dare Devil and such!!! LOL !!!

the music, the sketches, the sci-fi touch, the great characters, the superb humour and the overall hidden quality!! what can i say... i just love this show....This is the ultimate CULT tv-show ever! its concept is so simple and yet so incredibly funny! i will love to see this come back... imagine a new crew making fun of flicks like Dare Devil and such!!! LOL !!!
  • i have not seen this yet but i have seen others and i feel like it will be a good one full of funny jokes making fun of the retarded movie they are watching.

but on the hole there have been some times that some unnecessary coments to the movies that i personaly dont like. of course i do like some of them because i just cant keep myself from laughing. so anyway i have good feeling about it. im just really doing this so i can get o lvl 2 account so i can watch it. and thats my review.
  • Very rarely does a show exist with such a unique style as this one. From the clever wit of all the writers to the one-of-a-kind premise, It stands to be a staple in the pages of comedy for years to come.

Everything about this show is original. From the props made from everyday objects, down to the one of a kind banter between the robots and either Joel or Mike about some of the worst movies made by man. I remember waking up in the morning to watch that show everytime it was on and just be laughing in seconds. I think the show could still be on today and still be fresh and funny as it was 8 years ago. I miss that show more then a lot of other shows just because of the fact that it always kept me interested and never let the jokes get dry. I will never forget some episodes like "The Brain that wouldn't die" or "Over-drawn at the memory bank". I find myself wondering how you could hate an anteater so bad after watching that episode. The only thing I hated was the lack of support for the show, I never once saw an advertisment for a that show or the movie once. I can't understand why seeing as there has always been a community of fans that have been there since the beginning of the show. It truely is being missed by thousands of people everyday and hopefully one day they'll do another movie or something along those lines. Maybe even some syndacation of some of the episodes. We'll just have to wait and see.
  • Check the premise, and tell me this doesn't look entertaining.

Mad scientists launch a man into space, he builds robots for company, and is made to watch "B" movies as a torture experiment. Back in the early 90's, it took me a little while to get into what they were doing, but once I got it, I was hooked. With the ferocity at which they jape, each 90 minute episode boasts hundreds of jokes per. You get to watch the movie, listen to them rag on that movie, thats two levels of entertainment right there, and sometimes the movies are not that terrible (I site "The Incredible Melting Man" here). There are also sketches, and pop culture references for everybody, and I do mean everybody. One of my favorite parts is it appeals to the collector in me. The show ran 11 years (one on public access, seven on comedy c, and three on Sci-fi. Even one theatrical release movie). So that is almost 200 episodes of a hilarious show few have heard of. Many are released, but not even close to half. Some of the fun of this show is trying to find unreleased episodes from friends online. Try to find "Human Duplicators", "Jack Frost", or "Bride of the Monster", you will thank yourself.

• This show was great.

I've always loved this show since I was a kid.Why did they have to cancell it?Crow was my all time favorite character.Man this sucks.But the good news is that 1.You can always order some videos or dvd's of this show,(but I don't recomend you do that because the stuff I mentioned are started to made poorly).And 2.Because me and my Dad recorded alot of episodes,I can watch this show whenever I wan't.Thanks Dad!
  • Funny show to make jokes on bad movies.

I like Tom. Crow too. I like Joe better then other guy.

I wonder I can be whith tham to make jokes.

Like.

\\\"I got a hand it to you.\\\"

\\\"He got all eyes looking at you.\\\"

\\\"Two heads are better then one.\\\"

\\\"They are hopping mad!\\\"

\\\"Witch button is make me go up agian?\\\"

• Absolutely one of the funniest shows EVER!

MST3K is such a great show I don't even know where to begin. The concept is fantastic - goofing on crappy movies - now who doesn't love to do that?!?! And nobody does it better than Joel, Mike, and the cast and crew aboard The Satellite of Love. Sure, it's a low budget show - which just goes to show that it doesn't take a ton of money to make great TV. I watch it for the comedy, not the special effects. LOL. Anyways, it amazes me that some people take the time to post bad reviews of this show. Perhaps they just don't "get it". MST3K may be over the head of some viewers, but if you consider yourself intelligent, and appriciate truly excellent comedy writing, then you should give MST3K a shot. I spent many Saturday mornings "smoking" and laughing so hard at MST3K that I thought I was gonna fall off the couch! Thanks Mike, Joel, and everyone! (For some really good eps check out Mitchell from Season 5, Manos - The Hands of Fate from Season 4, or anything except Hamlet from Season 10. Enjoy.)
  • The giant that was Mystery Science Theater 3000

Mystery Science Theater 3000 is beyond the obvious cult classic label it has earned. You can still find little references to Mystery Science Theater 3000 in many other TV shows and movies. The show seems to have become a hand shake in a popular secret sociaty. The style of Mystery Science Theater 3000's humor has easily lived on to Adult Swim shows, Kevin Smith films and etc. In fact, the basic idea of the original Beavis and Butthead Mtv shorts was taken from Mystery Science Theater 3000. The show obviously has been an important canon for TV and entertainment as a whole. Also, we fan get a warm feeling when we here "Play MST for men."
  • i love this show so much i laughed so hard. bring it back

never in my life have i laughed so hard. it was the funniest show. why did it stop showing. it was hilarious. i wish they still made it or at least show re runs. to get to the point i was such a huge fan and wish it was still showing
  • Now this is a tv show I can give a ten to.

What a great concept this show had. Take two Robots, one manic depressive guy (or slightly dorky and funny if it’s Mike) and put them in the same room to watch a BAD movie, now that’s gold!

So the jokes where corny and sometimes didn’t make since, but that didn’t matter. As someone who watches more movies then TV, I can really appreciate this show and relate to the fact that sometimes you just want to holler out something idiotic about the film.

One thing that I believe made the show so great was you could relate to it a little bit. I mean, if you’re trapped on a space station being forced to watch bad movies, what would you do? You try to make the best out of it. And Joel (or Mike) Tom Servo and Crow certainly made the best out of watching Hollywood’s shameful films.
< 1 2 3