Mystery Science Theater 3000

Comedy Central (ended 1999)

fireballil

Mystery Science Theater 3000 Fan Reviews (73)

• There is nothing even remotely redeeming about MST3K. It is awful, boring, and dispicably amateurish. A complete and utter waste of time.

I never judge a series unless I see at least six contiguous episodes. Believe me, doing so for this dungheap of a series was almost an unbearable chore. Even though I watched six episodes of this drivel, I could NOT watch each one to the end ... I just couldn't! Possibly the nadir of american television.
  • What was the point to all of that?

I just really didn't understand what the point was.I just didn't find it funny. I guess maybe I had a different view on what was funny and what wasn't. Perhaps it wasn't that bad of a show. I don't know. I'll have to see if again and then I'll come to a final conclusion.
  • It's amazing how great a simple idea can be, and how quickly that great idea can get old.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 (MST3K) is one of those holdovers from early cable. Back in the day, most cable channels were like small market TV stations, with limited budgets that didn't allow for the production of fancy shows. Therefore, they did what small TV stations had always done, they showed old movies.

MST3K's hook, however, was that they placed three characters down front (at the bottom of the screen) and allowed them to talk over the movie's soundtrack. Not loudly enough to ruin the movie, but loudly enough that the viewer could follow either the movie or the conversation. The remarks were a little like the class clown in Junior High who felt compelled to comment on everything that went on around him. It was pretty funny, really.

Early shows were pretty good and the novelty factor was high. Later shows selected worse and worse movies to lampoon and began to get longer and more elaborate scenes between movie acts. That's about where I stopped watching.

Shows like this can still have a place on TV today and I think MST3K was good campy fun, but I think it should have kept the intro scenes short and sweet. I give it 4 and think the producers would be proud to know they really earned it.
  • Can be very funny, but easily wears thin if the movies selected are slow and boring.

"MST3K" started out with a clever, if not a new idea.(Ever since movies started talking, the set-up of audience voices mocking the screen action has been around, such as the early 30's series "The Movie Album" or Radio's "Easy Aces" in their cinema short subjects.)

In the original Mystery Science series, we got to know those about to mock the movie, a hapless midwestern guy (always ragging on Wisconsin!) trapped aboard a space station with two wiseacre robot puppets who know nothing but half-understood American pop culture.
    This was the underlying basis for the jabs at the film, whatever it was they would be sitting down to see on the ship's movie screen as well. The references come fast and furious, and although all are supposed to be none too bright, as an audience member, most will never "get" all of them.

Unfortunately, when Sci-Fi (or now known as "Sy-Fy") channel brought them over, they had to change the format a bit, and instead of just a quick visit at the beginning and end, (with some bumpers in the middle) featuring the cast, which included a mad scientist and his wierdo servant that sent him spaceward in the first place, now there's a nasty fat gal that bosses around a monkey man and a hooded pasty guy in a VW van that courses the galaxy, landing on different themed planets. We find out about their fears, their schemes, their family life, etc.
    After this unfunny soap opera burns up lots of time, we go back to the "Satellite of Love" to see the movies. But now, every one has to be a horror picture. Funny thrillers were seen years earlier in the series, and most every one in the S-F version would have been a second, third or never pick previously. When it started, it had a huge following, inspiring such things as campus events, live recreations, even a book which was rather poorly thought out, but still sold well. Tapes of the series were traded around the world. Well, here we are, it's final episode ten years ago this month, and few care any more. It just seemed like the whole show fell into the wrong hands.It was fun while it lasted. It just lasted too long.
  • Very influential!

A lot of the movies on which I've commented on this website I've seen as episodes of "Mystery Science Theater 3000." However, I find it difficult to write about this show as a whole - not because I can't think of anything to say, but because there is so much to say that I don't know where to begin or end.

I guess I'll start by saying I approached this show prepared to be unimpressed. A show about a janitor and two robots goofing on bad movies in space? That's about the dumbest idea for a TV show I've ever heard! And in lesser hands this could have been an idiotic show, not worth bothering with. But in the hands of the troupe of writers and performers who call themselves Best Brains it is a show of rare intelligence and wit. The writing is first rate and the performances (especially in the host segments, in which skits are performed which are more or less inspired by the movie) are sharp and enthusiastic. So good was the writing that show was able to remain fresh and entertaining despite several major cast changes (by the time the series ended after ten seasons none of the original cast members remained).

Best of all, this show helped broaden my appreciation for cheesy movies. I've always loved horror and sci-fi movies (horror especially), and some of the movies shown here were familiar, but there were others I would never have seen were it not for this show. Some laughably bad, others cheesy and surreal, others pretty darned interesting. (Still others were just plain bad.)

In short, this was one of the best shows ever shown on television.
  • It's just a really good show.

So, the story begins with a guy named Joel Robinson getting trapped in a satellite. He's forced by some crazy mad scientists to watch bad movies every single week. So, Joel built some robots as friends. The robots are named Tom Servo, Crow, Gypsy, and Cambot. Eventually, Joel leaves and a new guy named Mike Nelson comes to continue this strange tradition up until the show's cancellation. The show's known for having a vast amount of good one-liners and rants. Some of the movies they show range from a little bad to extremely horrible. Also, the show's low-budget, and it doesn't matter given what movies are being shown. So, if you haven't heard of Mystery Scienece Theater 3000, I hope that you can watch some episodes and enjoy.
  • I love this show to death.

This show is one of the ones I love alot. Mystery Science Theater 2000! Sci fi channel used to play it but I cannot find it anymore on Scifi i upsets me. Because, like i said I loved this show. Just two robots and one man making fun of really crappy Movies just makes me laugh. So if you're in the mood to Laugh, then watch Mystery Science Theater 2000!
  • One Funny Show

This was a really funny and unique show. A guy is forced to watch very bad movies in space by his boss. So he makes two robot buddys to watch with him. Simply they make fun of the movies they watch.They also do skits in between half hours. Usually always funny. Crow & Tom Servo are two of the coolest characters & funniest ive seen. The show maybe had been the same but managed to stay fresh and very funny. Its one of those shows that many people dont know of but it does have its fans. In the end,this is a great comedy.
  • A fun, fun show.

Over the last year, I have been going through and re-watching old msties. It had been almost 8 years since I had watched one even though I was a huge fan during the Comedy Central seasons. Through Rhino DVD and various file sharing sites I have been seeing old favorites and ones I have never seen before. I have to say that though some material is dated the shows are just as funny as ever.
  • Funny show to make jokes on bad movies.

I like Tom. Crow too. I like Joe better then other guy.

I wonder I can be whith tham to make jokes.

Like.

\\\"I got a hand it to you.\\\"

\\\"He got all eyes looking at you.\\\"

\\\"Two heads are better then one.\\\"

\\\"They are hopping mad!\\\"

\\\"Witch button is make me go up agian?\\\"

• Laugh out loud funny!!!!!!

If you love short one-liners watch this show. The way they tie in the dialogue and the movies is pure greatness. Especially watch the episode with "Manos, Hands of Fate" and "Eegah". Those two are probably the worst movies ever. In fact, "Manos, Hands of Fate" was picked as the worst movie ever by Entertainment Weekly. If you like the show, you will like MST3K the movie. Good luck finding it though. It's rare.
  • A wonderful waste of my life...

I loved this show so much. Mystery Science Theater 3000 said all the things my sister and I whispered to each other in movie theaters our entire lives. Now there is a show that speaks our own jilted form of under our breath snarky comments humor. All the movies in MST3k are bad, and the the youngest movies they ever did were already 25 years old, but that is what makes MST3k so great; you're not there to watch a movie, but to hear what great one liners and quips the robots come up with this week. Sadly the only part of this show that I ever disliked was the original content. I really can't bear to watch Joel or Mike stand there with the robots and do sketch comedy...it hurts me, but luckily the sketches are only 5-10 minutes of the show.
  • Robots and a guy in outer-space watching cheesey horror/sci-fi movies!

I miss this show! The horror and sci-fi movies were the best. (The B-grade 60's and 70's, just so-so.)
    All in all - I miss this show! Cambot Rules and Gypsy was under-appreciated! I liked Joel the best and was heartbroken (okay, just a little sad) when he escaped the Satellite of Love.
  • The worst we can find. La la la.

Ah, MST3K...perhaps the ultimate cult show. You either love this one or hate it. The sight of that silhouette on the bottom of the screen elicits either joy or eye-rolling boredom. I (as you probably guessed) am a fan of this gem of a show, which survived cancellation, network and host changes and a revolving door cast.

The premise...oh, do you really need that? Suffice it to say, it stuck true to its mission, never running out of turkey old movies to lampoon. Combine that with the off-kilter humor and performances of the cast (Joel Hodgson, Trace Beaulieu, Kevin Murphy, Frank Conniff, Mike Nelson and others) and you had a show that was glorious in practically every respect. Those Comedy Central days, with a mixture of bad sci-fi epics, embarassing film noirs and oh, those educational shorts, may be the best run of any show ever in TV history. I'm not trying to stir up anything, but when we're talking hosts, I honestly prefer Mike to Joel. His manner of joking was more "on" than Joel's slacker persona, and in his tenure as host the comedy became tighter overall. Once Bill Corbett came on as Crow, I think the series got its best riffing team (Murphy, Nelson and Corbett).

While the overall quality of the riffing didn't change with hosts and networks, the quality of the "host segments," those comedy bits in between sessions in the theater, suffered tremendously with the losses of Trace Beaulieu and Frank Conniff. Added to that was the new mandate from the Sci-Fi Channel that the host segments had to have a story arc. Gone were the one-shot weirdness of the Comedy Central days and in their place were unfunny ongoing misadventures when the gang would encounter odd creatures and sci-fi spoofs. None of it could hold a candle to the old days of the invention exchanges, Crow's screenplays, Tom's dulcet tones and anything from old Gypsy girl.

But that may be complaining too much - after all, even in the Joel era, MST3K was primarily about riffing the movies, which never went out of style. Fortunately, the Sci-Fi Channel's other mandate of only doing sci-fi movies went by the wayside and we got some more classics in the later years.

But now, sadly, it's gone. The good news is that Mike and Joel are continuing the fine riffing tradition with their various endeavors (Film Crew, Rifftrax, Cinematic Titanic). And the DVDs continue to roll out. So kick your feet up, settle back, and laugh your butt off.

Push the button, Frank.
  • This show never got old!

MST was never boring - even though my wife can't stand to watch it, it always made me laugh out loud. I think I loved it so much because the whole concept of MST was exactly what my best friend and I did during old Japanese monster movies when we were young. Well, we weren't trapped on a satellite and didn't have robot buddies, but other than that pretty much the same. I would love to see this series come back, I think it would be very popular on the SciFi network. The most fun is trying to come up with something witty to say before THEY do...and these movies were just so horrible there was always something to make fun of...how can you get sick of that?!
  • Remains one of the funniest, most well-written shows ever.

The precursor to all smart,subversive, self conscious television to follow: Beavis and Butthead, Dennis Miller, South Park, even the Simpsons owe a debt to Best Brains, Inc.

The show was uneven and cut for a bazillion commercials, but it always delivered at least a couple riffs that were subtle, sharp and gut-bustingly funny.

I'm amazed that with all the crap that passes for comedy on television, that these guys haven't struck it big with something.

• where are the reruns?. I want to see more

The most original idea for a show ever, to play a bad B movie every episode and just make fun of it the whole time.This show is great and I wish i could see it more I just never see it on TV. They had so many episodes and the only ones i'm able to watch are the ones i have on DVD. The stuff they say during the movie is hilarious. Tom servo was the funniest with his style and delivery. And it's not one of those shows that you have to watch every episode continuely or else u won't get the story because every one has it own story. One of they great things they did was base the show on a B movie-ish premise with a guy and 2 robots are tortured by bad movies in space on a dog bone satelite.
  • Thias show rocked

I love this show, my first episode was Pod People, that was freakin' hilarious, anyways "back in movie D for Dumb" I'm not into science fiction at all, but even though they made fun of all of these movies, I found myself getting into them every now and then. I liked it a little better when Joel was on but Mike was cool too. I was even in the fan club, and I normally don't do dorky things like that. I think the show actually went down hill when it went from Comedy Central to Sci-Fi, and then they started changing voices that kind of killed it, oh yeah and when they brough Pearl in too. I didn't watch it much when it was on Sci-Fi but I saw enough to know it wasn't the same. There were plenty of more good seasons that bad and this show will always be a cult classic type of show.
  • The giant that was Mystery Science Theater 3000

Mystery Science Theater 3000 is beyond the obvious cult classic label it has earned. You can still find little references to Mystery Science Theater 3000 in many other TV shows and movies. The show seems to have become a hand shake in a popular secret sociaty. The style of Mystery Science Theater 3000's humor has easily lived on to Adult Swim shows, Kevin Smith films and etc. In fact, the basic idea of the original Beavis and Butthead Mtv shorts was taken from Mystery Science Theater 3000. The show obviously has been an important canon for TV and entertainment as a whole. Also, we fan get a warm feeling when we here "Play MST for men."
  • We get to watch a man watch B-movies.

This is one of my favorite shows. After working at a video store, one realizes how many horrible movies have been made over the years, especially sci-fi movies. It often becomes the case that throughout the show, you or your friends will spend some time making silly comments just to keep yourself entertained.

Now, those of you who have spent all your time and mental energy trying to think of snappy comments can take it easy. The crew at Mystery Science Theater 3000 have done the work for you.

Being from Minnesota, I have a certain advantage over others in that there are several comments in each episode which are specific to Minnesota.

If any person gets every one of the comments in this show, then they are truly the most versed person in pop-culture ever.

A good show for fans of movies.
  • My score is only for Joel. JOEL I SAY...JOEL!!!!!!

This is one of the greatest ideas for a show ever. A bunch of hillarious guys watching horrible movies and cracking jokes. Why did Joel leave? He was the keystone of the show. Without him IO just sit and as I watch I think 'WWJD?' No not 'What Would Jesus Do?' I think to myself, 'What Would Joel Do?' After he left the highlight of the episode was only when he made a guest appearence. He wasn't the soul reason for watching though. Joels robot friends also contributed to the shows awesomeness. They all cracked wise towards some of the worst movies of all time.
  • Greatest Show Ever!

Mystery Science Theater 3000 was probably one of the most funniest, wittiest and creative shows i have ever seen. With great writing, acting and likeableness of the show. It also had a great feel to the show and was awesome with sci-fi good humor and nerdiness this show lead up to be the greatest ever!

Pros:
    Humor is great
    Writing is the best i have ever seen on a TV Show
    Acting is Good Joel was probably the best in my opinion

Cons:
    None that i can think of but TV.com failures will say the show sucks... Dont listen to people who think Hannah Montana is good they are deprived of all aspects of humor in general and sanity
  • This movies goes on parr with "Manos, The Hands Of Faith."

This movie was a real stink-burger, which means loads of laugh for us and the crew of the Satellite of Love.

"Future War" happens to take place in the present, when humanoid cyborgs go back in time to capture humans for slaves (because they don't have thumbs and hence can't build anything except other cyborgs and spaceships!) and have vaguely establish dinosaurs are watchdogs that explode when they die. They chase this Runaway slave who meets up with this punk turned nun who really seems to have doubts in her commitments. The movie has no real logic, as the so called oppressed and uneducated 'Runaway' human slave is a master of martial arts. There was even a scene when the two "heroes" are told to get in a police car by a cop who takes them to a packaging factory where one of the dinosaurs is on the prowl for no real reason!

Whats worst are the cutaway and jump-cuts. Our heroes, the nun and the runaway, are calmly walking in their suburban neighbor after being attack by a dinosaur, awake up in some kind of freight train only to be back into the same town! And for another kicker, the Nun manages to stop the cyborgs and dinos by using her underground connections with pimps, gangs, and drugs dealer to personally attack at their base of operations: Some kind of Storm-Drain with lots of pipes, a large hole out for some reason, and an unexplained source of daylight, which goes to show that it really the street thugs and deviants that protect the country, not the police, military, or government.

Overall, this movie makes Manos look a cheap, but competent piece of work. And the best part is one one famous or well like was in this movie nor did any of the cast members moved on to other projects.
  • Hilarious.

Mystery Science Theater is the funniest show I've ever seen. Even though it is before my time, I still watch it because my mom is a big fan. I think that the Joel episodes are hilarious. However, the Mike episodes were more downhill. There were a few good Mike episodes, but I believe that Joel was the funnier one. My favorite 'bot is Crow. I think he is just so funny and what he says is just classic. Some of my favorite quotes from the show were said by Crow. Overall, this show is just a classic and a personal favorite of mine. I wish it wasn't canceled.
  • Insanely funny and entertaining.

Baywatch was such a bad show. No plot, the characters were plastic and the..... oh? This isn't the Baywatch thread? Hmmmm...
    Well, I guess the same could be said about MST3K. No plot and the characters were plastic, or at least two of them.
    I don't think I ever laughed so much at any one show in my life. I always found something in every episode. Sure, some (very few) of the episodes weren't all that great. Like..... ummmm, maybe the one about.... no no, that was good, how about that one involving.... ummm, no not that one either. OK. I guess I enjoyed them all on some level.
    If you ever want to know if some one's a MSTie, just walk up to them and say some random phrase like... "I'm huge", "That sucked", "The master would not approve", "Time for go to bed", or something similar. If you get a laugh out of them they're a MSTie. If not, there could be other consequences. (In fact, my lawyer says I'm no longer allowed to utter those phrases.)
    Happy riffing everyone!
  • The 'bots and Joel/Mike are forced to watch bad movie by the evil henchmen TV's Frank & Dr. Forrester

What can i say about this show but FANTASTIC!! Joel in the beginning and then Mike towards the end are forced to watch bad movies delivered to them by the evil Dr. Forester and TV's Frank (later by Pearl, Bobo, and Brain Guy). This show is sooo original and HILARIOUS! There have been times when i almost pissed on myself because i was laughing so hard. True this show isnt for everyone and it takes a certain type of dry humor to get it. Unfortunatly this show ended in 1999 but thank goodness for DVD and tape distributing to keep this show alive!
  • Please Syndicate MST3K!

Mystery Science Theater 3000 is one of the bast shows on television that's not on anymore. I hope the Turner Network could negotiate with the MSTies so that they could play the show on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim. I like Adult Swim, but if Mystery Science Theater was in the lineup, I would so watch the show. I like Mike Nelson's comments more that Joel's, but it seems to be the eternal debate. Who's the better host, Joel or Mike. Well, I hope Turner Network can get these rights and play Mystery Science Theater on Adult Swim. And maybe sooner than later.
  • The greatest horror movie show of all-time, bar none!

In the good old days of television, no TV station was complete without a horror movie show. Some of them had their own little quirks and segments that made them unique. But no local horror movie show ever made, past, present or future, was better than Mystery Science Theatre 3000, which originated at what was then known as KTMA-TV, channel 23 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The movie was actually an "experiment" conducted by Drs. Clayton Forrester and Laurence Erhardt, who sent a janitor, Joel Robinson, into space, not appreciating his hard work a la Cinderella's stepfamily. They sent him into outer space onto the Satellite of Love, where the lonely Joel created Cambot, Gypsy, Tom Servo and Crow, his quartet of robots. Joel was sent into space to watch really horrible movies, but he, Servo and Crow offset the horror of the movies with snappy wisecracks. Meanwhile, Gypsy handles higher functions on the SOL, while Cambot follows Joel and the bots around to see the movies.

The series was a local hit, but the station was in troubled times, and MST3K was cut. Then, Time Warner's new Comedy Channel picked it up, and gave it national exposure. After one season on national TV, Dr. Erhardt departed and "TV's Frank" stepped in. The series continued on without much change, even when the Comedy Channel merged with Viacom's HA! channel to form what eventually became known as Comedy Central. In 1993, Joel Hodgson, who put the show together and played Joel Robinson, decided to leave to work on other projects; Michael J. Nelson, who played various roles in previous episodes (including Torgo, from "Manos: the Hands of Fate"), played Joel's replacement, Mike Nelson, who was introduced on Joel's last experiment, where he and the bots riffed "Mitchell". When Gypsy set Joel free, an angry Dr. Forrester sent Mike into space, where he would remain. Then Frank left, as Dr. Forrester's mother, Pearl, moved in. Dr. F himself was last seen in the theatrical movie, which featured "This Island Earth", probably the best movie ever featured on MST3K, IMO. Pearl would take over when the series moved to the Sci-Fi Channel, and her cohorts were Professor Bobo the gorilla, and an observer known as "Brain Guy". The cycle continued until the Satellite crashed and everyone moved on, though Mike and the bots continued to watch bad movies.

This series has to be the greatest horror movie show of all-time, and for good reason. Where else can you have someone be shown silhouetted at the bottom of the screen making fun of a piece of junk? Also, each host, Joel and Mike, had their own merits, though Joel may have been the better one, IMO. Also keeping the show moving was its loyal fanbase, known as MSTies; my mother is proud to be one. I'm glad the show was as popular as it was, because of its quality, and because of a very loyal fanbase. This was truly a show I enjoyed at one time or another as much as my mother did.

(Alarm blaring)

OH, WE'VE GOT MOVIE SIGN!
  • This show was one of my very first comedic experiences, and i loved it

This show is, in my book, one of the greatest Comedy shows that was ever created. With its great taste of personality and a whole lot of humor, this Peabody Award winning show is fantastic. Personally, i think i liked Joel better than Mike and the evil scientist theme better than the other one with the lady in the spaceship. I find myself in stitches every episode, both at the jokes and how terrible the movie was. Tom Servo and Crow are by far one of the best robot characters ever, with Gypsy and Cambot being the ones who weren't used to much but when used, it's pretty darned funny. I wish this was still on TV, but alas, only on DVD, and torrents (shh don't tell), but I think that it is totally worth it. I might even buy the DVD's if need be. One of my personal favorites and i hope i never forget it, Hell i haven't even watched them all yet.
  • Mystery Science Theater 3000 is a great show. This show is about a guy who gets shot into space and is forced to watch cheesy and or terrible movies. He has two robot pals who Joel built with his own hands. They add alot more humor to the show!

MST3K is my all time favorite show. This show was very much ahead of it's time. I remember watching this when I was like 14 and now I am 26 and I still love it! If you watch a really, really bad movie and you find yourself making fun of the characters, the plot or even just things that are said, then this show is for you! Joel is the laid back host who gives the bots, Tom Servo, and Crow jobs or fun things to do. They are a great match-up. Joel was unwillingly shot into space by his mad scientist boss, Dr. Forrester. Only because Dr. Forrester didn't like Joel. Really it's a brilliant plot because for every show they get a different movie to make fun of. If you are familiar with movies like Boggie Creek Monster, or Hobgoblins, both are B movies. You used to see them late at night on certain channels. Movies that are so cheesy you have your pick of what to make fun of, be it the bad acting or the cheesy soundtrack that you can totally tell is played on a twenty dollar Casio from Radio Shack. If you haven't seen this show you are missing out. Unfortunatly it was pulled from Comedy Central and then it was pulled from the Sci-Fi channel because of lack of ratings. What did they expect though considering they played it at 8 AM on Saturday. The only way I would get to watch it was if I was up all night. But it was totally worth it! I love this show! It has turned into a cult classic. Watch this show it is a laugh and eventually you will find yourself making fun of movies just like Joel and the bots!
< 1 2 3