Mystery Science Theater 3000

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians

Aired Unknown Dec 21, 1991 on Comedy Central

• No, that's the Children's Television Workshop!

[#41]

When the children of Mars become depressed and dismal, there's only one thing to do! From 1964, Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, full of "breath taking" special effects, plus horrible acting coupled with a freeze ray gun that's really just a Whamo toy painted silver, and STRANGE serial scenes like this! And if all that's not enough, Santa Claus Conquers the Martians also has a young Pia Zadora in her film debut as Girmar, the girl martian.

Ay, I've heard of this flick before, but I never seen it because I learned it was awful (I mean Santa Claus getting kidnapped by aliens?), so when I learned it got a spanking by Joel & the Bots, I quickly looked forward to seeing it. End results? Solid. The opening credits had me in stitches (Tom wonders if the title of the movie is Santa Claus Conquers the Martians or Road House), and the crew had fun with the martians and the toy banaza bit. But, for some reason I don't remember a lot of jokes even though I remember laughing smoothly. The best part were the host segments, with memorable skits like the gifts ideas, Crow's gift is Road House The Game, and the Patrick Swayze Christmas song. This is a fan favorite and it's one worth checking out.

A-