A MythBusters Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on Discovery Channel

BUSTING THE MYTHS OF DOLPHINS ON MOUNT EVEREST

... Discovery has announced its programming slate for the 2014–2015 season, and as a result, I've got a whole bunch of tidbits to tell you about

– The network is continuing to dabble in scripted programming with The West, a series from Robert Redford that spans the 40 years from the end of the American Civil War to just pas the turn of the 20th Century.

– Several existing series have been renewed, including MythBusters (for Season 14), Sons of Guns (for Season 6), Gold Rush (for Season 5), and more.

– In addition to the previously announced Everest Jump Live—which will feature Joby Ogwyn, the world record-holder for quickest ascent up Mount Everest, jumping off the summit—the network is also planning Skyscraper Live with Nik Wallenda, in which Wallenda will attempt to cross the Chicago skyline on a tightrope without a tether. Last year, he was the cause of several concurrent heart attacks across the nation when Discovery broadcast his live tightrope-walk across the Grand Canyon, also without a tether or a net. 

– In the non-life-threatening arena, get ready for several new series. Edge of Alaska explores frontier life in eastern Alaska. Fat N' Furious apparently features an overweight man driving fast cars in Ohio, but the fat in the title also refers to the size of his wallet, I guess? Tree People follows the people who live in the tops of really tall trees in the Pacific Northwest. And my personal favorite, the nature special Dolphins: Spy in the Pod, uses cameras to spy on dolphins. Discovery really should have called that last one one The Secret Lives of Dolphins. [TV Guide]

A&E, WE WANT A DIVORCE

... Someone at A&E recently went on vacation to Denmark and must have really loved what they saw on television there, because the Danes are invading the network. The Chloe Sevigny–fronted series Those Who Kill was based on a Danish series, and aired a whopping two episodes before it was deemed a flop and sent to die at the Lifetime Movie Network. Now A&E is returning to the land of Hamlet's birth for another go. This time the network will be adapting a ridiculous-sounding reality series that makes me sad for the human race. Married at First Sight will follow six incredibly stupid brave men and women who agree to marry each other the moment they meet. To be fair, I kind of get this; I absolutely agree to marry Taylor Kitsch somedy, and I haven't ever met him. But I don't get the impression that Married at First Sight is looking to pair me up with the dude who played fullback for the Dillon Panthers, ya know? The series will be using scientists and stuff to determine compatibility. Yawn. [THR]

BUSINESS TIME

Coming soon to bookshelves to iPads and Kindles near you will be Bryan Cranston's memoir. He promises to "tell the stories of my life and reveal the secrets and lies that I lived with for six years shooting Breaking Bad." You should be able to grab your copy in fall 2015. But I'd honestly just be happy with a picture book featuring behind-the-scenes photos of Cranston taken by Aaron Paul. [NY Times]

... Animal Planet is getting into scripted television. I'll let that sink in for a minute. And then I'll wait for you to confirm that it's actually April 3 and not April 1. It's true, the network that's best known for its Too Cute series and the Puppy Bowl is now bringing us scripted television in the form of a two-hour movie called Revenge of the Whale. Martin Sheen will play lead character Thomas Nickerson, who will tell the story of his life as a cabin boy on the whaling ship The Essex. [THR]

... TLC's upcoming programming slate includes Leah Remini's new seriesThe Speegle Life, which follows a multigenerational family as they move from Florida to Alabama; Psychic Matchmaker (I swear to God I didn't make that one up); and Kate Plus 8 reunion special. You can also expect A Duggar Leaves Home, which follows one of those bajillion kids as she moves to Nashville to try to become the next Juliette Barnes. [Variety]

CASTING NEWS

... If you're an actor and you have at least one popular show on your resume and you're looking for work, I'd hit up Netflix's STILL untitled drama from the creators of Damages, because at this point, the cast is probably larger than that of Game of Thrones. Both Katie Finneran (The Michael J. Fox ShowWonderfalls) and Enrique Murciano (Without a Trace) have signed on to recur in the series, which follows four adult siblings  (Kyle ChandlerBen MendelsohnLinda Cardellini, and Norbert Leo Butz) whose secrets and scars are unearthed when the black sheep of the family returns home. Finneran will play Belle, the witty wife of Butz's character. Murciano will play Marco, the boyfriend of Cardellini's character. [Deadline]

... David Meunier, known to Justified fans as Boyd's late opportunistic cousin Johnny Crowder, has booked his next gig. He'll appear in an extended arc in TNT's new drama series Legends, from Homeland's Howard Gordon. Meunier will play Richard Hubbard, a high school chemistry teacher and family man who's harboring a deep secret. Um, if I didn't already know that Legends is actually about an FBI agent in the Deep Cover Operations division who's played by Sean Bean, I'd accuse it of ripping off Breaking Bad. Seriously, you couldn't have made him a biology teacher? Or a gym teacher? [THR]

... Toni Braxton (remember Toni Braxton?) will star as the legendary Darlene Love in a new biopic that will air on OWN in December. Meanwhile, Octavia Spencer will play a journalist named Mattie Clay in the network's two-night miniseries Tulsa, which explores the largest race riot in U.S. history. [TV Guide]

... Mandy Moore will star opposite Psych's James Roday in the new CBS comedy pilot Good Session. The single-camera project follows the happy couple of Joel (Roday) and Lindsay (Moore) who can't decide whether or not to have a baby—so they seek professional advice from a therapist played by Tracey Ullman. The only things I know about babies are that you shouldn't feed them rocks, and they poop themselves daily. But I'm guessing that if you have to ask a therapist whether you should have one, you're probably not ready for a baby. Oops, did I just ruin the entire first season? [Deadline]

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 8/7/2014

Season 12 : Episode 14

24 Comments
Follow this Show
Members