MythBusters Forums

Thursday 9:00 PM on Discovery ChannelBetween Seasons

mythbusters dying a slow repetative death

ltcomstella

[1]Jun 28, 2013
    • level: 18

revisits again ?

more boring specials ? an over produced and fake ductape special

and indy car special that just seemed more of cast/staff perk than actuall myth busting..

and yet another jato rocket car revisit

and the editting is jarring with no consistancy...

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MichaudMR

[2]Jul 4, 2013
    • level: 17

At least for me the show hit its turning point at the Cannonball Chemistry episode where they wore out the use of the word "safety." It looks like as with most good things the lawyers have taken over the show. The show has not been the same since their mishap with sending a cannonball through the neighborhood next to the bomb range, and has long since lost its "couple of guys messing around in their shop after hours" feel. I really liked the show when they used to jump in Jamie's old Toyota pickup and scrounge parts for at the local scrap yard and made it work with DIY projects on a shoestring budget.

I was always more interested in their wonky contraptions and unique problem solving skills than the myths themselves, and that part of the production has given way to hiring "experts" and contractors to do the set ups so they can come in and hit the ignition button. The show has become a victim of its own success by trying to raise the bar on ever more spectacular builds which have now exceeded the technical capabilities of the cast members.

ltcomstella

[3]Jul 4, 2013

i still find the cannon ball fiasco unbelievable.. and since the footage has been cut..

makes me wonder how legit it is, another who uses smithers from the simpsons as his avatar took it way too personally as if he /she was the one who had the cannonball through their house..

my questions are as follows..

the bomb range is seemingly in the middle of nowhere..unless they changed location. if so why not just delay filming and move on to something else, and surely they should of double.triple quadruple checked the new site...

previous cannon myths have had no problems..why was this one so different ?

previous myths have been about news stories which were 'faked' or not true at all or highly unlikely to happen...

so is this really a stretch to imagine the show made all this up just to get more exposure and attention as if the viewing figures where dropping ?

MajLorne

[4]Jul 4, 2013
    • level: 21
    I will say they haven't done as many explosive/gunfire use this season. Some of the eps have been tame. I am guessing they were told to scale things back due to that incident? I also agree that if they need to do another revisit, then maybe they should just have fewer episodes per season or longer breaks because they've been taking on too many of the youtube challenges and its getting annoying and giving credibility for some vids that have no reason to be given more attention.
    They should be happy with the 200eps over 10 yrs. most shows would be very very blessed to reach that milestone. Let the show end now before it gets worse.

MichaudMR

[5]Jul 8, 2013
    • level: 17

For a while the show had fallen into a "Jaimie want's a big boom" rut and away from its original premiss. So I would think that not having a trip to the bomb range every week is a step in the right direction. That said, they don't seem to have much to replace the pyrotechnics. I'm kind of hoping they could focus on their special effects business and produce a show or two a year when they have something really interesting to investigate, but as of now the format appears to have been played out and the audience has moved on.

ltcomstella

[6]Jul 10, 2013

is there any more episodes after the bifrocated boat/ paint with explosives ?

when you look at tori, grant and kari they've lost some of the sparkle, kari's smile seems fake sometimes or she just looks really tired and fed up.

tori was once a total goof now he's just 'phoning it in'

grant's still the same freak...and he's getting more screen time than before..

GolfDude825

[7]Jul 10, 2013
    • level: 32
    they were not legally allowed to show the cannonball misfire, only up to the point of it being shot out of the canon before it hit the barrier (which wouldnt be shown) and bounced into the neighborhood.. as they said previously, that was only a test shot for calibration and had no impact on the myth itself, so it wouldnt have made it into the show otherwise, but b/c of the fan request , they showed only up to the point they were legally allwoed to..

the fact that they moved the show from winter airings to the summer and the massive rating drop after moving back to weds, does not bode well, eventhough as recent as last april (2012), jamie said at one of their live shows i was at said, they were not in jeopardy of being cancelled, and this took place after the cannonball misfire

adam and jamie have been the executive producers for a little bit now, and you may have noticed more of showing adam and jamie, and less of the myth team..

i think maybe discovery saw these batch of episodes which caused them to air these during the summer and not in the spring like they normally did

and there is still 1 UNAIRED episode still to be aired in America, yet aired in australia last year..

so there are behind the scenes issues going on clearly that arent gonna get made public..

BTRAV

[8]Oct 9, 2013
    • level: 27
    Kari's also probably tired since she's still got a little kid to take care of. Grant was Lt. Sulu on SyFy's Star Trek Continues. Looked like he was having fun doing that.