MythBusters

Thursday 9:00 PM on Discovery Channel Premiered Jan 23, 2003 Between Seasons

GolfDude825

MythBusters Fan Reviews (379)

• Discovery ruined one of the most entertaining series ever

Now that they fired Kari, Tory and Grant I certainly won't be watching. They didn't even bother to inform the audience about why and when. Discovery Channel really screwed the pooch on this one. The recent zombie episode was also ridiculous. They should just re-hire the build team and get back to busting myths instead of just blowing stuff up. Shame.
  • Seems a bit limited opinion/view/tests

1 random ep (14) DISCOVERY
  • 200mpg Carburetor

There have been stories of late 1930's Ford V8 engines gaining upwards of 100mpgs by atomizing the fuel instead of squirting it directly into the cylinders. Are the BIG OIL companies HOSING us? We would love to find out!
  • Learning is FUN

Who would think that testing the most well known (and not so well known) myths could be so fun and educational. A very interesting show to say the least. Adam and Jamie are a great duo, Adam is always fast with a sarcastic remark and Jamie couldn't care less and is always business (well, most of the time).
  • Parachute from hotel room

2.5
    How exactly would Grant's parachute fit through a window, being so big and all?
  • Not bad but...

Love the variety of mythbusters, but there's a new Nat Geo show called Showdown of the Unbeatables that is also really interesting! Fridays episode looks awesome
  • Ligtning strike to umbrella

I was wondering if lightning were to strike an umbrella, if the fabric would really burn up and disintegrate like I see on cartoons and movies, leaving just the metal frame.

Sincerely,

Hannah age 12

Bethel, OH
  • RIDING MOTORCYCLE ON WATER

I just watched the episode where Jamie rode a motorcycle approximately 300 feet across water. I was wondering if he was to use a rear sand tire how far would he make it. A sand tire has cups on it so it should act like a paddle wheel and keep his speed up so that he could go past the 300 foot mark.
  • I have a new Myth for you.

I would to show you my Myth. Its a big wish from me that my Myth in your program is. Please. When its not so is iam so sad, because iam a so big fan from you that be a sad. Here my Myth: Its right that can bring an entire tree to burn quite a lot of sparklers.
  • Steam Canon problem

You used copper pipe which doesn't have enough mass. When water converts to steam it takes a lot of calories to change from water, still at the same temperature (phase change). The copper pipe didn't have enough mass to convert all of the water to steam instantly. Try it with something as heavy as an old canon and it will work. Leonardo didn't have lightweight copper pipe to work with like we do now.
  • can u do it

4UIFMEM

i was looking at paragliders then i looked up peddling paragliders and it showed tis video but the thing didnt fly i was wondering if u can make a peddling paraglider and that really works if thats plausible

and your show is my favorite and u guys are hilarious
  • Jato car. WTF?

I really like mythbusters some of the myths over the years have been really clever and well thought about, but this return was the worst and most pathetic episode I've ever seen.

Just pointless mindless destruction of perfectly good equipment and cars... No myth busting at all.

It's left me annoyed and frustrated that they spent that much money on something that they were going to destroy for no other reason other than to have "fun". It also promotes it to others who are less intelligent about safety to try it... MINDLESS DESTRUCTION IS POINTLESS AND BORING!

I have all the new 2013 shows recorded and this one makes me wonder if I want to watch the rest.

• c-4 does go boom with a bullit

im sfcmarshall army retired while in Iraq during training we had a miclic fire improperly so had 1250.00 pounds of c4 in a pile I engaged the c-4 with my m85 50 cal withen ten rounds the c-4 blew the key was volume and the tracer thin pieces would never work but if you were engaging c-4 tied thightly in nylon type sack to keep its integrity you could possibly make it happin with a pound

5803528178 call me I can further explain to you

• Some people think its funny.

Others, like myself, think its kind of mindless destruction because most of the things they do are not even myths-they are just out to break things in a very weird & unspectacular ways often, just for the camera eye. It basically just boring. but it also sort of encourages young people to try stupid stuff so they can record it and put it on You Tube and be famous for five minutes. Kind of BS really; I hope they bomb in the ratings.
  • Starterspray

Hi

Das starterspray hilft nur den Reifen auf die Felge zu bekommen,um luft hinein zu bekommen!!!!

Das Starterspray zwingt durch die verpuffung den Reifen nur auf seinen platz an der Felge.

alles andere ist unsinn

• jato car 2013

an idea instead of the rockets being in-line why not put them together to form an (o) that way to force is focus to push
  • Jato Car #3

I just watched the 3rd jato car attempt and I am very frustrated! They not only ruin a vary nice car but they do a terrible job with the myth. They use a line of small sand bags to simulate the "burm" in the myth. Well the bags were way so small and light and they simply just push the bags out of the way. They do end up using two cars and a ramp on the second attempt instead of silly bags. They should have just used two different angled/length ramps to see if one worked better than the other. They also do not allow the car to get up ta any sort of reasonable speed before hitting the rockets. They give the car 1300 feet to get to speed and it needs at least 2500 in my opinion to get a better base speed before using the rockets. This show is making me mad! It seems so obvious after they have tried this 3 times that thy would possibly do it the right way.
  • Ghost Debunking

I like your TV series and had an idea for a good one that I thought I would share..

You should have a Ghost Debunking Episode were you test the equipment that they use, such as the EMF (that is supposed to only light up if an ghost is near), to see if other equipment that they use can interfere and set it off, or cell phones, radio's etc.. You could test the digital voice recorders that they use to see if it is possible that after multiple sessions using the same recorder that words could bleed through that could be interpreted as being ghosts..

Recently on Deep South Paranormal there was an episode were they are at a dam were people supposedly see a lady in black. A couple of their guys are in a boat going down river, in it they have a mirror, about 16 or more candles burning, an voodoo doll of the lady in black made of straw or some other kind of grass lying on the mirrow.. Supposedly they are going down the river and doing some kind of chanting to draw the spirit of the lady in black to them.. And sure enough as they approach the dam, the camera catches an apparition of the lady in black moving behind a tree, which they proclaim has to be the lady in black that everyone has been seeing what else could it be? I believe that it is possible that the mirror reflected the candle light with the voodoo doll lying on it and projected a shadow of it on the walls of the dam and with the boat moving it would have appeared that the black shadow was moving.. Anyways, I think this would be a great episode for you... You could even show footage from the Deep South Paranormal episode..
  • BUSTCRAZY

i am a VERY huge fan of you and i would like for you to bust a myth for me. if you slid a revolver across the floor will it shoot the gun
  • Jean myth

I am a huge fan and I have a myth for you.

On every Levi Strauss pair of jeans there is an illustration of two horses pulling the jean in opposite directions. The men are holding whips and making the horses pull as hard as they can showing how strong the jeans are. Levi Strauss said these jeans never tore in any way and he created man's first heavy duty jean for the working man.

I would like you folks to test this myth please?

What is nice too, the Levi headquarters is in the heart of San Francisco.

P. S. Also, test other jeans and show their strength as well.
  • wind turbine electric vehicle

If you connect a wind turbine to an electric car and then drive it down the road; will it become a perpetual motion vehicle?
  • dos and bacon rhine

a myth for you to test

I have heard that bacon rhine can swell up in the stomach or intestine of dogs could you please converm or bust this myth please as i have consulted our vet and thry have not heard of this be for and could not help . Thank you in advbane ..

a fan and dog and bacon lover who likes to share.
  • knock ur socks off revisit

love this show!!!! one thing tho, on the knock your socks off revisit busters legs moved in a way human legs dont. they bent backwards, without that backward movement the legs would have moved more like human legs and may have come off
  • Thinner - Ball bearing hole in a hand at point blank - mythbusted?

Hi - Does anyone know if they ever mythbusted the ball bearing hole shot through a hand on the movie 'Thinner'? Is that possible?
  • A few chilly myths

Right, premise is great, the cast is amusing, the myths are not always groundbreaking but then again there aren't that many myths out maybe there are and you guys just aren't looking hard enough!

Speaking of myths, here are some chilly ones:

1: The cartoon myth that a frozen caveman can be thawed out and still be alive

2: Would dipping snowballs in water (so the water freezes in a coat of ice) make them less likely to crumble on impact?

3: The cartoon myth where skating in a ring over an icy lake makes a hole in the ice

and 4: Could enough packed snow slow down or even stop a bullet?
  • shooting a nail gun

when you tested to see if a nail gun to see if it could be accurate and deadly,

you used a wooden target, but if you used flesh it would of given a different result

5/10
  • Awesome Show

These guys are funny!!!!
  • a myth would like you to test

ONIONS! I had never heard this!!!

PLEASE READ TO THE END: IMPORTANT

In 1919 when the flu killed 40 million people there was this Doctor that visited the many farmers to see if he could help them combat the flu...

Many of the farmers and their families had contracted it and many died.

The doctor came upon this one farmer and to his surprise, everyone was very healthy. When the doctor asked what the farmer was doing that was different the wife replied that she had placed an unpeeled onion in a dish in the rooms of the home, (probably only two rooms back then). The doctor couldn't believe it and asked if he could have one of the onions and place it under the microscope. She gave him one and when he did this, he did find the flu virus in the onion. It obviously absorbed the bacteria, therefore, keeping the family healthy.

Now, I heard this story from my hairdresser. She said that several years ago, many of her employees were coming down with the flu, and so were many of her customers. The next year she placed several bowls with onions around in her shop. To her surprise, none of her staff got sick. It must work. Try it and see what happens. We did it last year and we never got the flu.

Now there is a P. S. to this for I sent it to a friend in Oregon who regularly contributes material to me on health issues. She replied with this most interesting experience about onions:

Thanks for the reminder. I don't know about the farmer's I do know that I contacted pneumonia, and, needless to say, I was very ill... I came across an article that said to cut both ends off an onion put it into an empty jar, and place the jar next to the sick patient at night. It said the onion would be black in the morning from the enough it happened just like onion was a mess and I began to feel better.

Another thing I read in the article was that onions and garlic placed around the room saved many from the black plague years ago. They have powerful antibacterial, antiseptic properties.

This is the other note. Lots of times when we have stomach problems we don't know what to blame. Maybe it's the onions that are to blame. Onions absorb bacteria is the reason they are so good at preventing us from getting colds and flu and is the very reason we shouldn't eat an onion that has been sitting for a time after it has been cut open.

LEFT OVER ONIONS ARE POISONOUS

I had the wonderful privilege of touring Mullins Food Products, Makers of mayonnaise. Questions about food poisoning came up, and I wanted to share what I learned from a chemist.

Ed, who was our tour guide, is a food chemistry whiz. During the tour, someone asked if we really needed to worry about mayonnaise. People are always worried that mayonnaise will spoil. Ed's answer will surprise you. Ed said that all commercially-made mayo is completely safe.

"It doesn't even have to be refrigerated. No harm in refrigerating it, but it's not really He explained that the pH in mayonnaise is set at a point that bacteria could not survive in that environment. He then talked about the summer picnic, with the bowl of potato salad sitting on the table, and how everyone blames the mayonnaise when someone gets sick.

Ed says that, when food poisoning is reported, the first thing the officials look for is when the 'victim' last ate ONIONS and where those onions came from (in the potato salad?). Ed says it's not the mayonnaise (as long as it's not homemade mayo) that spoils in the outdoors. It's probably the ONIONS, and if not the onions, it's the POTATOES.

He explained onions are a huge magnet for bacteria, especially uncooked onions. You should never plan to keep a portion of a sliced onion.. He says it's not even safe if you put it in a zip-lock bag and put it in your refrigerator.

It's already contaminated enough just by being cut open and out for a bit, that it can be a danger to you (and doubly watch out for those onions you put in your hotdogs at the baseball park!). Ed says if you take the leftover onion and cook it like crazy you'll probably be okay, but if you slice that leftover onion and put on your sandwich, you're asking for trouble. Both the onions and the moist potato in a potato salad, will attract and grow bacteria faster than any commercial mayonnaise will even begin to break down.

Also, dogs should never eat onions. Their stomachs cannot metabolize onions.

Please remember it is dangerous to cut an onion and try to use it to cook the next day, it becomes highly poisonous for even a single night and creates toxic bacteria which may cause adverse stomach infections because of excess bile secretions and even food poisoning.

• Speed Camera

You beat the speed camera with a jet car dragster and stated that it was unlikely to get a car on the road to go that fast. There are multiple "production" cars that can run over 240 mph the Bugatti Veyron and Veyron SS and the Shelby Ultimate Aero. These cars have air conditioning radios and a road legal cars. The Veyron SS top speed is 267 mph.
  • Presidential Challenge

The problem I saw with the Hellboy punch tests were that the "fists" they dropped on the cars moved with the car. This shifted the weight toward the center keeping the vehicle grounded. In the movie, Hellboy did NOT move when he punched the car flipping it..