MythBusters

Shooting Fish in a Barrel

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Nov 21, 2007 on Discovery Channel

• Fish in a barrel, hot chilli remedies, and mouse plus elephant.

So, this time the show explored the idiom that easy tasks can be compared to shooting fish in a barrel. To avoid upsetting some viewers, dead fish were bought and reanimated with motors. Personally, I would've liked to have seen live fish swimming in the barrel. Live fish can be bought at the supermarket and killed right in front of you. Understandably, people have different viewpoints about eating animals. Regardless, those fish were going to die anyways and where that happens is irrelevant. Complaining that you saw animal slaughter on this TV show isn't going to tackle animal rights issues. Next, the build team tested remedies for hot peppers. I love hot foods and milk, in my experience was always the best at neutralizing the burn, though I can't say I've tried petroleum jelly or toothpaste before. The results were expected yet still fun to watch Grant and Tory eat toothpaste, petroleum jelly and wasabi.

The last one was the typical cartoon scenario where a mouse scares the living daylights out of an elephant. This did have some truth to it. It just goes to show that you can learn stuff from cartoons.
  • Adam and Jamie. One barrel. One gun. One Fish. No Survivers!

Nice Summary huh? Yeah, this was a fairly good episode. It wasn't that specular as I was hoping for, but yet again, your shooting a fish in a barrel, doesn't sound much fun does it? It was informative, and theres nothing wrong with that, but I think thye could have made it more action-y. Oh well. My favorite myth was the Hot Chili Pepper myth. I loved seeing Grant in tears bu hot chili! I guess he doesn't like Red Hot Chili Peppers lol! Get it? Me either... I was hoping the mouse and elephant was true, and it was! I was amazed to see one of nature's giants scared by a little itty-bitty mouse! Holy crude, im gonna have those handy when a stamped of elephants come my way.
  • Fish in a barrel, chili remedies and mice scaring the elephant. Overall its ok, except most of the barrel myth. But its just not good enough after so many good episodes lately.

The episode in its self aint that bad. However, the "main" myth is a little boring to be honest. If it hadnt been a minigun at the end, then it would be one of the worst myths ever. Why? Because they didnt use real fish. And I understand why they didnt... but that kinda killed of the myth too.

However, chili remedies was cool. Myths you can relate too, aint only informative and perhaps a little teaching, its pretty funny. I feel sorry for Tory and Grants taste vesicles though :D

Last, and not least, mice scaring the big elephant. Its cool, though short and mostly included too strech out the show.

All in all Im disappointed... but hey, its not a blueberry pai everytime. At least it was a good donut. Coated in chocalate, of course.