MythBusters

Shooting Fish in a Barrel

Aired Saturday 9:00 PM Nov 21, 2007 on Discovery Channel

• Fish in a barrel, hot chilli remedies, and mouse plus elephant.

So, this time the show explored the idiom that easy tasks can be compared to shooting fish in a barrel. To avoid upsetting some viewers, dead fish were bought and reanimated with motors. Personally, I would've liked to have seen live fish swimming in the barrel. Live fish can be bought at the supermarket and killed right in front of you. Understandably, people have different viewpoints about eating animals. Regardless, those fish were going to die anyways and where that happens is irrelevant. Complaining that you saw animal slaughter on this TV show isn't going to tackle animal rights issues. Next, the build team tested remedies for hot peppers. I love hot foods and milk, in my experience was always the best at neutralizing the burn, though I can't say I've tried petroleum jelly or toothpaste before. The results were expected yet still fun to watch Grant and Tory eat toothpaste, petroleum jelly and wasabi.

The last one was the typical cartoon scenario where a mouse scares the living daylights out of an elephant. This did have some truth to it. It just goes to show that you can learn stuff from cartoons.