Naked & Afraid Forums

Sunday 10:20 PM on Discovery ChannelIn Season

Pilot

OdumC

[1]Jun 25, 2013
    • level: 8

Not great... besides the obvious forced sexuality into a survival show, I don't know how they were rated so high for survival.

The guy was constantly complaining, spent more time adding to their temp shelter than hunting and broke down crying several times while the woman got food poisoning and burnt down their shelter leaving an unattended fire with the guy asleep in it. But at least she wasn't openly sobbing.

They had a firestarter kit and a machete.. so why was it whenever it showed them walking they're limping around and constantly hurting their feet? the woman fashioned makeshift clothes.. so go skin the bark off a tree, line it with mud, lash a leaf on top let it dry, jungle made, form fitting "shoes" then lash it to your feet so you can at least walk somewhat comfortably and not be constantly hurting your feet.

I hate to be an "armchair survivalist" but I'm shocked they ranked as high as they did. they made no traps, their efforts at finding food were non existent, they both dropped so much weight they looked almost skeletal coming out. they seemed content to make a fire, build a shelter and then sit around for days on end staring at their feet. the woman TEACHES survival yet doesn't know a basic snare or box trap? I learned that stuff in the cub scouts FFS. they had wild boar running around all over, she points out the obvious, they can't chase anything down and the jungle sounds alert everything to clear as they approach.. so you set a trap... that's survival 101.

the guy was a total drama queen.. told the woman he was hunting a pig and fell 120 feet to his almost death... that's 12 stories. he slid like 10-12 feet down a hill. they showed the whole thing on his head mounted camera... then he gets back and tells her he fell 120 feet and landed on rocks then when she asks about it he gets all ticked complaining about her calling him a liar.

No kidding, you tell me you fell 12 stories landed on pavement then walked back to camp to complain about it I'm calling you out too.

All in all, a disappointment. the "naked" novelty was useless. it ended right as they met and she was pretty nonchalant saying "So should we address the fact we're both naked, check each other out now and get it out of the way?" clothing was pretty useless anyways, the only piece of clothing that might have helped was shoes.

Edited on 06/27/2013 6:26pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

fujin_mage

[2]Sep 12, 2013
    • level: 7
    Also the fatc than they diddent know that the Charcoal from there fire could have cured her food poisoning in a few hours...

OdumC

[3]Oct 15, 2013
    • level: 8

I was kind of happy in a follow up episode one of the first things the guy did was exactly what I said.. skinned the bark off a tree and made shoes.... lol

It's hard to watch these shows sometimes, I'm no "Survival expert" but I've gone camping and hunting enough to know half the things they do are wrong and they bypass things that could be immensely helpful.. and the majority of these people are billed as TEACHING survival.... drinking water without boiling it? biggest no no there is and so far it's happened twice resulting in 2 sicknesses. one the guy had the be evacuated to the hospital.

sorry that's survival 101. I learned that in the cub scouts as a child.

By far the biggest eye rolling moment was the one with Clint and Laura where as his one survival item, he picks swim goggles. an iffy choice right away, but then he's afraid of the water and doesn't swim. he literally leaves her with pretty much all the food collection and just storms off down the beach every 5 minutes having tantrums. Sorry but if I'm not a swimmer and have no intention of going in the water, I'm not going to choose swim goggles as my own survival item. he might as well have chosen "Assembly manual for Ikea home entertainment center" but at least that could have been used as kindling. I'm hard pressed to think of an item equally as worthless as goggles to a non swimmer.

Jack146

[4]Jul 28, 2014
    • level: 11

Watched several episodes and wasn't impressed. Then I saw another listing for Naked and Afraid Uncensored. Seeing they were reruns of the originals, I took a look and now realize the people at Discovery cannot possibly know what the word UNCENSORED EVEN MEANS.