Naked City

Don't Knock It Till You've Tried It

Aired Tuesday 9:30 PM Dec 26, 1962 on ABC

• What were they thinking?

I've just recently begun watching episodes of Naked City on DVD. So far they've all been quality episodes except for this one. The only reason I can figure out that it was included in the DVD package is due to the fact that Walter Matthau guest stars. It sure isn't the quality of the episode.

Don't Knock It Till You've Tried It begins with a 33 year old Las Vegas showgirl and her galpal arriving in New York. The two women then proceed to abduct a prominent psychiatrist at gunpoint. The reason for the abduction--it seems as though the showgirl wants the psychiatrist to marry her. It's a tough row because he's already married.

Sounds ludicrous, doesn't it? Believe me, the episode is every bit as ludicrous in the playing as it is in the description. Matthau is wooden as the psychiatrist and though Sally Gracie tries hard as the showgirl she simply doesn't cut the mustard. We don't feel any sympathy for her character who's named Bixie. She's a pathetic loser, plain and simple. So if you happen to buy a DVD of Naked City watch episodes such as A Hole in the City, Case Study of Two Savages, Death of Princes, and New York to L.A. They'll give you a much better flavor about what the show was all about than this silly excuse for an episode.