Naked City

Kill Me While I'm Young So I Can Die Happy

Aired Tuesday 9:30 PM Oct 17, 1962 on ABC

• Maureen Stapleton Shows Off Her Acting Talent

Maureen Stapleton died about a couple of years ago. She was a great actress and it's sad how she is not remembered as strongly as she should be. Maureen did mainly character parts so she was never the star. She won an Oscar for Reds and was in numerous movies in the 60s, 70s and the 80s. Woody Allen, Warren Beatty and many of the great directors of the 70s and 80s made use of her talents. I had never seen this episode of Naked City so did not know about it. Apparently Maureen was known as a great actress in 1963 and this episode seems to have been written exclusively for her. It is an acting tour de force! Maureen stars as a suicidal woman who attempts to leap off a bridge but is rescued. She turns out to be a hard bitten cop from the traffic bureau who was known for her brutishness. Angry that one police officer tried to charge her with disorderly conduct after her attempted leap, she stalks him and intimidates him by showing up wherever he goes - out to dinner, to the bowling alley, etc. Another police officer charms her and they end up falling in love. And she has cancer. Enjoy!
WZME