Is It Love, Or Is It Magic?

tvking1

[1]Aug 15, 2007
    • level: 42

That is the last line of the theme song to this delightful family sitcom, which was part of ABC's Friday night lineup, a time I looked forward to all week as a child, for 1970-71, which included The Brady Bunch and The Partridge Family. That Girl, Love American Style, and Tom Jones rounded out the schedule.

It was a little like a blue collar The Sound Of Music, with three motherless children who had difficulty getting along with any of their governesses, until Nanny, or Phoebe Figalilly, came along. The Professor, the children's father, was played by Richard Long, shortly after The Big Valley, in which he played Jarrod, left the air. Like Samantha Stevens (Bewitched) and Jeannie (I Dream Of Jeannie), Nanny had mystical powers, except that her's were more subtle, not flamboyant. Her magic wasn't witchcraft; it was love.

I remember watching it a few times on FX in 1996, and TV Land aired the pilot in 1999, but otherwise I'm not aware of it being shown anywhere since its cancellation in 1971. I wish TV Land would make it a part of its regular lineup, instead of those boring original series. A DVD release would be splendid, but unfortunately I doubt that there is sufficient demand for it.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

kilgore777

[2]Nov 14, 2007
    • level: 16
    I just loved this series though I haven't seen since I was a child when it first appeared. I wonder when it will come on on DVD.

IndianaMom

[3]Apr 25, 2008
    • level: 54
    Some of the episodes are on Hulu.

sandbur

[4]Aug 28, 2009
    • level: 25
    The original Nanny McPhee"??!!

Writerpatrick

[5]Dec 13, 2009
    • level: 13

This show was a mix of Sound of Music and Bewitched, except they used a psychic instead of a witch. The 70s were a time when people were more inclined to believe in the paranormal. It's one of the few comedies or sitcoms to ever use such a premise, although it does come up fairly often in dramas. It was definately a unique show.

I recall watching this in daily syndication shortly after it's prime-time airing.