Napoleon Dynamite

Scantronica Love

Aired Sunday 8:30 PM Jan 15, 2012 on FOX

6.8
  • A Stronger Showing On Premier Night, Little Over The Top

FOX premiered two Napoleon Dynamite cartoons on the same night, and of the two episodes, this episode was far better. You got more depth in the characters and actual emotions for them.

The first part of the episode I found rather bland and typical for a plot, but as it continued on it got better. I felt it was "typical" of a cartoon series to rush the characters into a situation far beyond what it should be, but what it did do well was follow Deb's emotional rollercoaster in a subtle way. It presented her as a cute, caring girl, as opposed to someone just thrown into the situation. We learned more about how Napoleon thinks, and got some good lines from Pedro. Apparently though, what happened in the movie does not appear to have affected these characters in anyway.

What we do see similar to the movie though is once again Uncle Rico and Kip trying to make money on some ridiculous scheme, which turned out to be good. The main flaw was the amount of street show performers there were in tiny little Preston, Idaho, which officially has none.

A few other over top top "Cartoon fantasy" things occurred in the episode, that would have never occurred in the 2004 film. This is the one draw back I keep alluding too, because the movie set such a high bar for fans.

If this is the direction the show is headed, it is far better then the first episode. I guess only time will tell, and I wish it luck against it's tough competitors. Certainly the first episode was not a good episode to premier the show, but the second episode was.