Naruto Shippuden Forums

Thursday 8:30 PM on TV TokyoIn Season

So, how that Toonami is back....

Dirk13

[1]Jul 3, 2012
    • level: 16

AND it's part of Adult Swim....wouldn't this be an ideal time to not only bring Naruto back (since as far as I'm aware it's not off it's mysterious DisneyXD hiatus) but bring it back to Cartoon Network?

Heck, what with all the complaints about the edits on the show, I imagine if it had been aired on this block since its inception without the early edits that people would have been even happier.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

qtwanderer

[2]Jul 7, 2012
    • level: 27
    Interestung if it would get picked up by Toonami.

I wonder though, if they did, where would they pick it up at?

Dirk13

[3]Jul 27, 2012
    I bet they would start from the beginning, it wasn't THAT far back I dont think, and they would want their moneys worth.

X-626

[4]Jul 27, 2012
    • level: 51
    The current VP of Cartoon Network/Adult Swim has expressed his interest in getting Naruto Shippuden on Toonami, but claimed that it probably won't happen. Disney XD still has the licensing rights to it (I have no idea when that runs out, but it's likely not for a long while) and they won't give it up. Viz mentioned before that they'd also like to put it on Toonami as well, but they can't give them the license until Disny XD's has run out.

qtwanderer

[5]Jul 30, 2012
    XD can't simply terminate their ownership of the rights or Viz can't find some loophole?...though the first question I know they won't do that...its Disney afterall.

X-626

[6]Aug 5, 2012
    • level: 51
    The license is sort of like a binding contract, so Viz can't just up and decide to show it on Toonami unless Disney says so. And Disney wants more money than Adult Swim/Cartoon Network can afford to spend on Toonami at the moment, if I recall correctly, to allow Toonami to air it. So unless they can work out an agreement (it's Disney, so don't expect it anytime soon), we'll just have to wait for the license to run out.

qtwanderer

[7]Aug 6, 2012
    Considering Disney is bold enough to ask for something high right now I'm guessing the license won't run out for a year and a half to a couple years....there goes that hope.

Then again Toonami is on a short leash for a few more months so they won't get any budget ideas for awhile...yep, there goes that hope.

Dirk13

[8]May 29, 2013
    So...here's where I'm confused.

Naruto airs on Cartoon Network. Then just a short amount of episodes before the end of Naruto, the show disappears, and at some point without much word (at least to me), Shippuden appears on Disney XD (glad I didn't miss too many episodes and caught up once I figured THAT out). Then, for whatever reason, DisneyXD halts airing episodes of Shippuden altogether (replacing it with some junk that I think I'd hate even I was half my age), and it's just done?

Ok, so Disney has the rights, but WHY do they exactly? I mean, why did they spend money to air only a fraction of the show, and then just not? I guess I wouldn't be surprised if no one knew the answer to this, but I guess I just am fuzzy as to why SOMEONE (Disney or Cartoon Network) doesn't continue to air the show.

And yeah, I imagine Toonami is in full swing now budget wise (and are even airing the uncut Naruto), so there's that.

qtwanderer

[9]May 30, 2013
    Well, I'm guessing Disney didn't get the viewership it was hoping for. When Naruto was first running on CN, it brought in high numbers and I guess Disney thought they would get the same amount of viewers but because Disney is kid oriented and has that reputation, no one really wants to see a show thats been "babied-down".

Dirk13

[10]Jun 12, 2013

qtwanderer wrote:
    Well, I'm guessing Disney didn't get the viewership it was hoping for. When Naruto was first running on CN, it brought in high numbers and I guess Disney thought they would get the same amount of viewers but because Disney is kid oriented and has that reputation, no one really wants to see a show thats been "babied-down".

Babied down? Meh, I was watching and enjoying it. I think it's really cool that CN is airing uncut Naruto for instance, but despite the fact that I watched it before when it was edited, I bet upon re-watching I probably wouldn't even notice the differences in most cases.