Naruto Shippuden

Naruto Shippuden the Movie 4: The Lost Tower

Aired Thursday 8:30 PM Jul 31, 2010 on TV Tokyo

7.1
  • looses points for lack of focus

5.5
    When I heard that Naruto goes to the past to fight alongside the fourth hokage, Minato, I was pumped! The Yondaime is one of my favorite characters and I love any idea of Naruto and his dad meeting up, no matter how contrived it can get, but this was pretty disappointing in terms of pay off in that area.

(Spoilers) Minato spends most of his time hiding his identity from Naruto and it's only at the end where they acknowledge who the each other is and it's a very quick scene that goes by too fast and worst of all Minato performs a Jutsu that erases everyone's memories. I don't know what Minato knows about time travel but you don't need to erase the guy from the future's memories if you worried about corrupting history. In my opinion Film makers should never end a movie on the note "It's like it never happened" It's both insulting to the audience and and destroys any development the characters go though.

The plot of Naruto needing to save a queen who is being used as a puppet is okay. There are some contrivencices and the writers do ask you to swallow some eye roll worthy stuff at times, but over all it's not bad, it's just not as interesting as what the film should have been focusing on, things that we don't see ever or hardly often see on the show that we really want to. Naruto freaking out over being taken out of his time, Minato and Naruto spending time together, these things are there, but just not given much time to flesh out.

I've yet to see the sixth movie at the time of this review but I really hope they learn from their mistakes.