Naruto Forums

TV Tokyo (ended 2007)

Dont ya think?

  • Avatar of Sonic_Uzumaki

    Sonic_Uzumaki

    [1]Feb 9, 2009
    • member since: 04/16/07
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 74

    Dont you think naruto should stop being aired on cartooon network because it keeps getting worser and worser. cartoon network is putting some sucky cartoons and stuff and the anime naruto doesnt deserve to be in such a sucky channel like cartoon network so tell me what you think. Oh and think about cartoon netowork/toonami not putting shippuden in tv but in the internet. What about people who dont have computers and stuff you know thats kinda messed up since there are alot of families aout there that cant afford computers Lol.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pikastatic100

    pikastatic100

    [2]Feb 9, 2009
    • member since: 09/12/08
    • level: 48
    • rank: Conehead
    • posts: 3,152
    I agree that CN makes the dub pretty childish, and AS would do a much better job on it, but Naruto is now what keeps CN going, without it, that station would be done for. Besides, I don't think AS wants Naruto.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of OneNotTaken

    OneNotTaken

    [3]Feb 9, 2009
    • member since: 04/05/06
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 2,316
    worser isn't a word.

    cartoon network doesn't dub naruto, it just airs it.

    if cartoon network stops airing it, it isn't going to change, they don't do anything to the show itself.

    if you can afford cable tv, you can afford the internet, especially because in today's world a computer is not only more important to life than a tv, but you can get a computer and internet for way cheaper than a tv and cable.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of OneNotTaken

    OneNotTaken

    [4]Feb 9, 2009
    • member since: 04/05/06
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 2,316
    oh, he just meant the editing. I think the voice acting is so terrible that the fact that they edit into a show for 8 year olds is almost reasonable.

    subs ftw.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ranemoraken

    Ranemoraken

    [5]Feb 9, 2009
    • member since: 04/18/07
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 3,333
    1: Where else on TV are anime being shown? Not a lot of space on Ani-monday.

    2. Naruto is slowing down and -this is the concensus- it is because we have been burning through two episodes at a time for months on end. 3. Toonami no longer exists on-line

    4. Most on-line TV shows are displayed through ad-paid services like Hulu. It's like real TV, but you can sit at your computer at your leisure.

    5. Your argument for not having anime on the internet is flawed. It suggests that because people don't have internet, that companies shouldn't cater to people who have it? Why, because it's rude? x. This whole thread could belong in a stickied thread, but I'll let that one slide.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Ranemoraken

    Ranemoraken

    [6]Feb 9, 2009
    • member since: 04/18/07
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 3,333
    What this thread should be used for, is describing my hate towards a simple feature as a response column. Why are my "enter"s not being recognized? Yeesh, the edit feature is even worse, completely deleting the formatting of the original thread.

    But I digress.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Nightmare_Sea

    Nightmare_Sea

    [7]Feb 9, 2009
    • member since: 02/05/09
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 87
    OneNotTaken wrote:

    subs ftw.

    So many say that for anime, but I can never bring myself to agree because I always like the dub versions better.

    Still, though, I do respect the opinion of sub elitists.

    As to the OP, if you don't like the editing, there are two choices.

    1. Watch the sub.

    2. If you don't like subs [I'm not very fond of them, but they're not unwatchable to me], just buy the uncut version of the dub on DVD. It's worth the money for dub fans, especially since [being the uncut version] it's actually for a teenage audience.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of OneNotTaken

    OneNotTaken

    [8]Feb 9, 2009
    • member since: 04/05/06
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 2,316
    I can understand why a lot of people prefer dubs, and when done correctly, with appropriate voice acting and no visual editing, I often really enjoy it. I love both the dub and sub of FMA, as I think the dub was done exceptionally well. In Naruto's case, even if it wasn't edited, I think the voice for naruto is so grating, irritating, and wrong for his character, that I just cannot get over it.

    The reason I prefer subbed anime, is because it is the version of the series that was intended to be seen. With each translation, and edit, a small piece of the shows original integrity is lost, and I want to experience it the way it was meant to be experienced, and from what I have observed, fan subs are generally far more accurate to the original dialogue than dubs.

    Also, I find that after watching subs for a certain amount of time, you don't even realize you're watching a sub anymore. I haven't seen more than one episode of naruto dubbed, and yet when I think about the anime, I hear all of their voices in my head in English, with their japanese voice actors. I think after watching a subbed anime enough times, your brain begins to mesh the text, video, and audio, to such a point where you genuinely forget that you're reading, and it's like you can almost hear them speaking in English.

    I think that once you reach this point it makes the experience significantly better, because its like watching the dub, only with the voices that they were originally intended to have, speaking the words we were originally intended to hear.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of AnimeMadness

    AnimeMadness

    [9]Feb 9, 2009
    • member since: 09/14/05
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 6,778
    The only dubbing company that is even worthy of respect is FUNimation. They did DBZ, FMA, and Yu Yu Hakusho, which are exceptionally well done dubs. I myself prefer the dub DBZ and YYH to their Japanese counterparts, which is saying a lot since I'm a "sub elitist". Personally, I feel FUNimation would have done a better job with Naruto.

    But yes I agree with OneNotTaken about after watching so many subs you'll eventually even forget you're reading. I also find that if you watch enough subs, you'll eventually pick up on Japanese, albeit slowly. Its gotten to a point where I know Viz's subs aren't accurate because I can understand what the dialouge is actually saying.
    Edited on 02/09/2009 6:36pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Nightmare_Sea

    Nightmare_Sea

    [10]Feb 9, 2009
    • member since: 02/05/09
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 87
    I like Naruto's dub voice. Like his sub voice, it emphasizes him as the loudmouth he is.

    It's weird. So many people find it annoying, but that means it's doing its job.

    I've been seeing subs for a while. I just can't adapt to Japanese voice acting. It just doesn't sound right to me, but the dub VAs do. It's just how I am.

    I think for my whole life, I'll be an uncut dub fan above all else with anime.

    I like all dubbing companies, but my top 3 favorites in order are:

    1. Viz Media

    2. Funimation

    3. Bandai Entertainment
    Edited on 02/09/2009 6:45pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of OneNotTaken

    OneNotTaken

    [11]Feb 9, 2009
    • member since: 04/05/06
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 2,316
    AnimeMadness wrote:
    The only dubbing company that is even worthy of respect is FUNimation. They did DBZ, FMA, and Yu Yu Hakusho, which are exceptionally well done dubs. I myself prefer the dub DBZ and YYH to their Japanese counterparts, which is saying a lot since I'm a "sub elitist". Personally, I feel FUNimation would have done a better job with Naruto.

    But yes I agree with OneNotTaken about after watching so many subs you'll eventually even forget you're reading. I also find that if you watch enough subs, you'll eventually pick up on Japanese, albeit slowly. Its gotten to a point where I know Viz's subs aren't accurate because I can understand what the dialouge is actually saying.


    Totally agree, I also prefer uncut DBZ and Yu Yu in English to Japanese.

    I didn't even realize they were all done by the same company, makes a lot of sense. =p
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of OneNotTaken

    OneNotTaken

    [12]Feb 9, 2009
    • member since: 04/05/06
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 2,316
    Nightmare_Sea wrote:
    I like Naruto's dub voice. Like his sub voice, it emphasizes him as the loudmouth he is.

    It's weird. So many people find it annoying, but that means it's doing its job.

    I've been seeing subs for a while. I just can't adapt to Japanese voice acting.

    I think for my whole life, I'll be an uncut dub fan above all else with anime.

    I like all dubbing companies, but my top 3 favorites in order are:

    1. Viz Media

    2. Funimation

    3. Bandai Entertainment


    Yes Naruto is supposed to be annoying, but he is supposed to have a serious edge. His monologues are supposed to be incredibly serious, dramatic, and touching. He is a loud, obnoxious, showoff, but when he is serious, it is a serious sight to see, and I do not think his English voice is adequate in portraying that side of him, which many could argue is his most important side.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Nightmare_Sea

    Nightmare_Sea

    [13]Feb 9, 2009
    • member since: 02/05/09
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 87
    I disagree with his dub voice not doing a good job at portraying his serious side, especially in the latter parts of the dub where the VAs grew more accustomed to their roles, but it's your opinion and you're entitled to it and I can respect that.

    In return, I hope you can respect mine.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of OneNotTaken

    OneNotTaken

    [14]Feb 9, 2009
    • member since: 04/05/06
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 2,316
    I do, and to be honest I haven't seen any of the later dub episodes, so it could have in fact gotten much better, but after seeing it in Japanese SO many times, I could never get used to the dub at this point. =p
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of AnimeMadness

    AnimeMadness

    [15]Feb 9, 2009
    • member since: 09/14/05
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 6,778
    OneNotTaken wrote:
    AnimeMadness wrote:
    The only dubbing company that is even worthy of respect is FUNimation. They did DBZ, FMA, and Yu Yu Hakusho, which are exceptionally well done dubs. I myself prefer the dub DBZ and YYH to their Japanese counterparts, which is saying a lot since I'm a "sub elitist". Personally, I feel FUNimation would have done a better job with Naruto.

    But yes I agree with OneNotTaken about after watching so many subs you'll eventually even forget you're reading. I also find that if you watch enough subs, you'll eventually pick up on Japanese, albeit slowly. Its gotten to a point where I know Viz's subs aren't accurate because I can understand what the dialouge is actually saying.


    Totally agree, I also prefer uncut DBZ and Yu Yu in English to Japanese.

    I didn't even realize they were all done by the same company, makes a lot of sense. =p


    Yup, they're done by the same company. If you pay close attention you can tell DBZ and YYH use the same voice actors. Kuwabara and Piccolo are the same person! XD

    I don't really care much for Naruto's VA... I feel Malie's voice is a one-tone pitch. With Junko she's much more dramatic and serious when Naruto is suppose to be. I personally think Malie tries too hard that it's coming out wrong. Junko even made her voice deeper for when Naruto grew older, and from the dubbed clips there are of Shippuden, Malie's voice remained the same.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Nightmare_Sea

    Nightmare_Sea

    [16]Feb 9, 2009
    • member since: 02/05/09
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 87
    OneNotTaken wrote:
    I do, and to be honest I haven't seen any of the later dub episodes, so it could have in fact gotten much better, but after seeing it in Japanese SO many times, I could never get used to the dub at this point. =p

    Perfectly understandable.

    When you grow accustomed to something, making a transition isn't really the best thing to do, especially if you're displeased with the initial product.

    AnimeMadness wrote:
    I don't really care much for Naruto's VA... I feel Malie's voice is a one-tone pitch. With Junko she's much more dramatic and serious when Naruto is suppose to be. I personally think Malie tries too hard that it's coming out wrong. Junko even made her voice deeper for when Naruto grew older, and from the dubbed clips there are of Shippuden, Malie's voice remained the same.

    Sorry about being a stickler, but it's spelled 'Maile.'

    I think the Shippuden sounds a bit deeper than the part 1 voice and yes, I did compare two dub clips from both sides, but I'm gonna hold off and see what the Shippuden dub voice by Maile sounds like when it's actually on the air rather than a pre-series trailer. Even just a little bit deeper is acceptable, considering the characters are only aging two years.

    All things aside, I found Maile's acting to be nearly flawless ever since the Chuunin Exam Arc ended.

    That's just my opinion, though.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Adv193

    Adv193

    [17]Feb 9, 2009
    • member since: 06/07/05
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 753
    AnimeMadness wrote:
    OneNotTaken wrote:
    AnimeMadness wrote:
    The only dubbing company that is even worthy of respect is FUNimation. They did DBZ, FMA, and Yu Yu Hakusho, which are exceptionally well done dubs. I myself prefer the dub DBZ and YYH to their Japanese counterparts, which is saying a lot since I'm a "sub elitist". Personally, I feel FUNimation would have done a better job with Naruto.

    But yes I agree with OneNotTaken about after watching so many subs you'll eventually even forget you're reading. I also find that if you watch enough subs, you'll eventually pick up on Japanese, albeit slowly. Its gotten to a point where I know Viz's subs aren't accurate because I can understand what the dialouge is actually saying.
    Totally agree, I also prefer uncut DBZ and Yu Yu in English to Japanese. I didn't even realize they were all done by the same company, makes a lot of sense. =p
    Yup, they're done by the same company. If you pay close attention you can tell DBZ and YYH use the same voice actors. Kuwabara and Piccolo are the same person! XD

    I don't really care much for Naruto's VA... I feel Malie's voice is a one-tone pitch. With Junko she's much more dramatic and serious when Naruto is suppose to be. I personally think Malie tries too hard that it's coming out wrong. Junko even made her voice deeper for when Naruto grew older, and from the dubbed clips there are of Shippuden, Malie's voice remained the same.

    Not to mention that Funimation allowed One Piece to be released uncut after 4Kids made an awful dub of that series. Too bad Cartoon Network gave up on it despite gaining better ratings with the Funimation dub. In fact Christopher Sabat who does Piccolo and Kazuma Kuwabara voice also did Alex Louise Armstrong and Ronora Zoro's voice. As for Naruto I think the dub is an accurate translation of the original and no childish puns or plot changes. My only issue with Funimation is that they sometimes make unnecessary plot changes like I know four different plot changes that Funimation did in Yu Yu Hakusho.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of AnimeMadness

    AnimeMadness

    [18]Feb 9, 2009
    • member since: 09/14/05
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 6,778
    What were they? I'm not aware of these plot changes.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of OneNotTaken

    OneNotTaken

    [19]Feb 9, 2009
    • member since: 04/05/06
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 2,316
    Me neither, and they can't change things too deeply because they don't add to the animation, they only take away, and the episode number count is the same in Japan and America...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Adv193

    Adv193

    [20]Feb 9, 2009
    • member since: 06/07/05
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 753

    Here are the four I was thinking of for Yu Yu Hakusho.

    1. Between the Genkai Tournament and Saint Beast saga, the time frame was 1 month in the Japanese verison of the anime and 6 months in the Engish verison.

    2. In the mission to Rescue Yukina, Hiei and Koenma knew that the Toguro Brothers were in Tarukane's mansion for the english version while the Japanese version they had no clue.

    3. In the Dark Tournament saga the english version added the plot line where the owner of Team Masho and Black Book Club member Butajuri wanted to defeat Yusuke whom he believed was responsible for Tarukane's death which was not present in the Japanese version.

    4. Changing Younger Toguro's final decsion from being sent to the Darkest Hell to Limbo for the English version.

    But for the actual amount of changes I am not aware of but listening to the English audio with subtitles that follow the Japanese version will help.

    Edited on 02/09/2009 8:49pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.