Naruto Forums

TV Tokyo (ended 2007)

Dropping the dubs altogether; I want your opinion

Dr_LaTino

[1]Feb 22, 2009
    • level: 14

Hey guys, I've always kept up with the Naruto fillers up until now (and if you do know me from my previous posting here, yes, it has been a while since I last gave these forums a post =P) and was recently wondering whether I should give up on the dubs and just switch to the subs online. With such a short amount of episodes left it does feel a little ridiculous, but what with CN's schedule and habits lately it still could mean we'll be waiting till summer for the Shipudden episodes.

Do you think I should switch to subs b/c of CN's lack of interest for the show (which appears to be permanent), or do you think waiting for the dubs and hoping it'll smooth itself out by then is the better move?

It would very much help me make a decision on my end and maybe can shine light on your opinions by watching what others say as well.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

narutorox3

[2]Feb 22, 2009
    • level: 9
    Yes drop dubs and move onto subs.

pikastatic100

[3]Feb 22, 2009
    • level: 48

I would suggest watching the sub, but that doesn't necessarily mean you have to drop the dub altogether. I would also read the manga if you haven't done that yet. Both the manga and the sub keeps you preoccupied while you wait for the dub releases. Also, the airings of the dub should pick up again by March once Viz is done subbing all the Japanese episodes.

As for me, I watch the dub and the sub and read the manga. When you're doing all three, the waiting isn't as intense (for me, anyway).

Edited on 02/22/2009 8:19am

Nightmare_River

[4]Feb 22, 2009
    • level: 4
    I agree with Pikastatic.

You don't have to drop the dub altogether and read the manga if you haven't yet.

Watching/reading all three forms of media is perhaps the most productive way of keeping up with the series.

Dr_LaTino

[5]Feb 22, 2009
    Well, the waiting isn't intense for me either, it's just that I don't want to get to Shipuden only to find it being abondoned by CN the way it is now. As for your other point: once I read/watch something once and understand what's happening I just don't find it pleasurable to view it again (unless its over the top good, like Fight Club XD). We'll see when March rolls around on Naruto dub status. I don't think the major group to blame is VIZ, but rather CN b/c they don't want to air the ones they already have.

mallory5028

[6]Feb 23, 2009
    • level: 2

I watch subs on the computer, just because I like it better. I find that there's more expression in the voice, and I found that Believe it! thing kind of annoying. I started watching subs when I was about 12 episodes in. It's just a prefrence. You could watch both dubbed and subbed. I don't, because I just don't have the time, and I like to keep moving in the series. Personally, I think the manga is better than the anime, but again, it's just a prefrence.

Dr_LaTino

[7]Feb 23, 2009
    mallory5028 wrote:

I watch subs on the computer, just because I like it better. I find that there's more expression in the voice, and I found that Believe it! thing kind of annoying. I started watching subs when I was about 12 episodes in. It's just a prefrence. You could watch both dubbed and subbed. I don't, because I just don't have the time, and I like to keep moving in the series. Personally, I think the manga is better than the anime, but again, it's just a prefrence.

Well, I always found it to be what you start off with originally to be what you prefer in the end. Good thing you're flexible like that though, I could never do that. I think we're all concerned about time. =]

mitarashianko

[8]Feb 23, 2009
    Dr_LaTino wrote:
    mallory5028 wrote:

Well, I always found it to be what you start off with originally to be what you prefer in the end. Good thing you're flexible like that though, I could never do that. I think we're all concerned about time. =]

I think that Viz has decided to drop the idea of perhaps selling single dvd dubs and invest their time instead more towards the UNCUT box sets. Thus CN isn't getting the dub stuff as fast as they once did. Although, I could be wrong about that.

Edited on 02/23/2009 7:47pm

Tskyonmai07

[9]Feb 23, 2009

People need to giv dubs alot more credit i mean if u didn't see the dub u probably wouldn't found out about the Show

I myself keep up with all three media(online manga, Sub, Dub) but also really don't have the time to keep up with all three but this is how i cope:

Online Manga: This has to be the easiest to keep up with because it comes out on a weekly bases around thurs. and fri. when i hav time to read.

Sub: sub isn't that hard too keep up with BUT i only watch a select few episodes(The new two arc, sasuke and sai arc) i hav not seen any of the rescue garra arc because i wanted to save that for when the dub comes out but i hate shippudens FILLERS when this dreadful one is over hopefully we'll get the full Grass Country Arc

Dub: Altough i perfer the dub over the other 2 media it is the most difficult to keep up with so i did my self a favor and bought the UNCUT BOXSETS! this is such a savior for me to hav all the epis at home so i don't hav to rely on CN or the internet to satsify me i have the whole part 1 boxsets 1-10 and i plan on doing the same for shippuden

So my advice to you is if u luv naruto and everything about it u shouldn't pick one of these medias and stick with that one if u like the SUB watch the DUB if u like the MANGA watch the SUB you've stated that u won't read the manga becuz when u see someting once u don't enjoy seeing it a second time i've read sasuke vs. deidara and jiraya vs. pein along time ago but I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT IN THE ANIME

Ranemoraken

[10]Feb 24, 2009
    • level: 20
    You need to SPOILER up your topic Tskyon! Anyway. I'm a dub man. Always will be. Watching a show with a language I can understand is more satisfying to me (The french dubs are just funny). I could handle the dubs IF THEY WEREN'T SO SLOW!!!!!! But they are, so it hurts like a mother.

jah1415

[11]Feb 24, 2009
    • level: 12
    mallory5028 wrote:

Well he stoped belive it like in the first season. I read the english manga and watch the dubs. I stoped watching the subs. But don't drop the dubs altogether and get your fix from the subs by viz or the manga

Ranemoraken

[12]Feb 24, 2009
    I was going through uncut box volume 5 and I remember hearing him say believe it in one of those episodes. I forget where though.

Nightmare_River

[13]Feb 24, 2009
    Ranemoraken wrote:
    I was going through uncut box volume 5 and I remember hearing him say believe it in one of those episodes. I forget where though.

It was during a Chuunin Exam match during the finals where Naruto noticed Sakura was worried about Sasuke and he was assuring her that Sasuke would definitely show up.

On that topic, 'Believe it' is a very rare phrase from Naruto these days.

It only shows up once in a great while now [it didn't show up again after that till one of the Season 7 fillers with the doppelgangers].

Ranemoraken

[14]Feb 25, 2009
    Nightmare_River wrote:
    Ranemoraken wrote:

It was during a Chuunin Exam match during the finals where Naruto noticed Sakura was worried about Sasuke and he was assuring her that Sasuke would definitely show up.

On that topic, 'Believe it' is a very rare phrase from Naruto these days.

It only shows up once in a great while now [it didn't show up again after that till one of the Season 7 fillers with the doppelgangers].
    Yeah, my sister and I found that hilarious, laughing our heads off. We had always said, "It would be funny if they used that line at a really awkward place much later in the series." Oh and thanks for solving my question.

fuji0214

[15]Feb 25, 2009
    • level: 6
    Ranemoraken wrote:
    Yeah, my sister and I found that hilarious, laughing our heads off. We had always said, "It would be funny if they used that line at a really awkward place much later in the series." Oh and thanks for solving my question.
    If you're currently up to date with the manga and have heard the dubbed Naruto saying "believe it" you might enjoy this:

***SPOILER***

I start cracking up every time I get that visual in my head b/c I remember how damned annoying Naruto's "believe it" atually was.

xTokiWartoothx

[16]Feb 25, 2009
    • level: 10
    do it. lose the training pants. big boys watch subs

fuji0214

[17]Feb 25, 2009
    • level: 6
    mallory5028 wrote:

I completely agree. I started watching subs b/c I got tired of waiting a week to get my naruto fix and I was too damned excited when Naruto started fighting Gaara. Plus like mallory said the Japanese sounds a lot better and more emotional than the dubbed does. Personally, I chalk that up to not understanding what they're saying, plus let's face it, Japanese sounds a lot cooler than English (especially the techniques). The only catch (not that I'm complaining) is that I refuse to watch the dubs now. The english feels so fake and unauthentic - I just can't stand it. Plus like I mentioned earlier, since I can't understand Japanese and am not familiar with it, I can't discern good or bad Japanese voice acting. On the other hand, the majority of dubbed animes have horrible English voice acting in them. But on the other end of the spectrum, there are some animes I refuse to watch in Japanese b/c I love the English voice acting. Just watch both and figure what you like better!

Nightmare_River

[18]Feb 25, 2009
    Every time people say there's horrible acting in dubs, I look for it, but I just don't see it.

The only time dubs have been horrible in my eyes were if they were done by 4Kids.

Otherwise, I prefer uncut dubs over any sub [DBZ, Bleach, and Naruto especially], mostly because quite a few Japanese VAs sound a little too monotonous and boring to me. No offense to them or to their fans, but I just like American VAs better and that's my honest opinion.

Though it could be because I grew up on dubs and will probably never grow out of them.

My favorites are definitely Crispin Freeman and Kate Higgins.

I really should stop this repetitive posting of my dub opinion, no matter how underrated I think they are. I'm repeating myself to the point where I may appear obsessed.
    Edited on 02/25/2009 11:10pm
    Edited 5 total times.

xTokiWartoothx

[19]Feb 26, 2009
    • level: 10
    i grew up watching dubbed dbz, and at first preferred it. but the more i listened to goku's nasally expressionless voice, the more i realized that it didn't fit his character at all.

the only dubs i consider truly acceptable are:

cowboy bebop
    fullmetal alchemist
    ghost in the shell

personally i think naruto is close to the top of the list for horrible dubs, behind.... ugh... richard ian cox playing inuyasha.... eww

then again the inuyasha anime was awful in general.

Nightmare_River

[20]Feb 26, 2009
    I see.

As long as they're uncut, I'll probably always prefer dubbed anime, and not just because I like the VAs better, but also because I don't really like the concept of foreign languages in general.

Though other things do contribute, such as my not caring if voices fit or if the acting is even good, just so long as I can imagine the character having that voice and my imagination is pretty flexible, especially since I don't think 'fitting voices' even exist, considering anyone can sound like anything.

Oh well. To each their own. I can respect your perspective, but then again, you already knew that.
    Edited on 02/26/2009 7:59am